U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 AM

2,387 posts, read 3,331,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think many people's point is, without any more to go on than "a good job market", why did you pick the state with the 6th highest unemployment rate (higher than Michican's!) instead of a state with a rosier outlook to begin with?
Because of the other criteria...North Dakota may have really low unemployment but its still North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Because of the other criteria...North Dakota may have really low unemployment but its still North Dakota.
Understood, but other states with similar weather, beaches, etc have both lower costs of living AND lower unemployment. All OP said was "looking to move SOUTH", which encompasses many states.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM

28 posts, read 32,695 times
Quote:
Understood, but other states with similar weather, beaches, etc have both lower costs of living AND lower unemployment. All OP said was "looking to move SOUTH", which encompasses many states.
I could go a little further into the reasoning. Nearly everyone we know is in MI, NC, or FL. We wanted to remain close enough for family to visit. A 10 hour drive to NC is a lot easier for my parents than a flight to CA or TX. And, truthfully, other than a trip to Las Vegas and Denver, we have only really traveled to places along the route from MI to FL. We know the area a little better, so it is slightly more comfortable than other places.

My husband and I literally took out a US map and checked off states as we discussed. Spent a little time looking at TX and a few others but what we read did not seem nearly as appealing as the east coast. I'm facinated with Boston and some of the other areas but cost and weather don't match what we are looking for. After all was said and done, NC, SC, GA, and FL were left. We have decent jobs in MI. I've had mine for 9 years, my husband for 7, so it's been awhile since we've really been on a job search. We have a fall back of Grand Rapids, MI, but we feel like we owe it to ourselves and our kids to see if there is someplace better out there for our family, based on the things we like and want out of life.

I did discuss the industries we are in and my educational background to assist in narrowing the search down to areas where these industries might have a stronger job market. An area may have a good heatlh system that I can locate on line but, realistically, you may have to drive an hour just to find a good area to raise your family in near that health system. I have two young children. My current commute time, while I know it is unrealistic in most markets, is only 5 minutes. I can't spend 2 hours additional away from my boys to travel to and from a job. We would like to commute 30 mins or less, one way, to work. Many of these such details are very difficult for someone to research without talking to the people who actually live in these areas. Something can look great on paper, but there are so many things you can't learn about a place without first hand knowledge of what it is really like.

So far there has been some very helpful information posted on this thread, so fo those of you who have contributed useful information, THANK YOU! We've been compiling a list of places to spend some time looking into.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Since you brought it up, what other states, with similar weather, beaches, etc would you recommend? We are not opposed to looking at other places; we just narrowed it down based on what I listed previously. We are functioning with the knowledge we already have but we came to this website looking for guidance from others who have more experience with other locations than we do. I know there are TONS of places out there we know nothing about but would probalby love. I'd be open to any useful info on locations, whether it be positive or negative on a location. For example, if you know of an amazing area in Alabama, discuss it. That's what I'm on this site for and I appreciate that type of helpful feedback!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,011 times
Following your thread here. Another Michigander looking to relocate. DH's job could move him to the Mid-Atlantic area in the next year or two, so I'm researching. And after this horrid MI winter, I'm sure people are leaving MI in droves!

I'm not sure why there is so much criticizing on this board...isn't the point to talk locations, details of cities, etc? She (We) is looking for some experiences, opinions, on different locations. Why all the negativity?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpahl View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much criticizing on this board...
Why all the negativity?
Because the state already has enough people with low & marginal job skills who are having
more than their share of trouble finding decent employment (or any for that matter).
They really don't need any more competition.

Even those with useful and needed skills get warnings that absent an invitation
("have a job lined up in advance") from a NC employer they are playing with fire
by moving down cold. Even those with enough cash to get by until a job materializes.

You'll be pointed to the 3 or 4 large metro areas that all straddle the interstate system
as the obvious best places to look for openings. But all the other soft goals (the "seeking
Mayberry" talk) have to come after the job... especially so if you have kids to raise and educate.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM

11,224 posts, read 19,670,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpahl View Post
Why all the negativity?
Probably because many new posters do not read what has written before. North Carolina is not paradise, and you need a clear plan on how and where to find a job in your field. There are some counties in North Carolina which have 11-15% unemployment rates. Most are nice, friendly places, but just do not have jobs for the hoards of Michiganders who want to leave.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM

11,224 posts, read 19,670,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandup View Post
For example, if you know of an amazing area in Alabama, discuss it. That's what I'm on this site for and I appreciate that type of helpful feedback!
Alabama has brought in automobile manufacturing plants in three areas: Tuscaloosa, Lincoln and Montgomery. In addition, Huntsville has NASA related jobs. Those types of jobs create other jobs in construction and health-care. For example, the North Carolina based home-builder, Savvy Homes, has seven communities near Huntsville.

Alabama has a 7.2% unemployment rate, and ranks 24 in the country. You can easily drive to the Gulf Coast beaches for a weekend. I encourage you to broaden your job search.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM

[quote=MrRational;29133583]Because the state already has enough people with low & marginal job skills who are having more than their share of trouble finding decent employment (or any for that matter).
They really don't need any more competition.[quote]

So, "this is our state! Stay home, we don't want you here!"? This is a country, not state vs state. We have had many people, most in leadership positions, move to my health system from the south, each welcomed for what they could bring to the table. I have no intentions of simply fulfilling a low level, crappy job that you feel the need to defend and protect from apparent outsiders. I'm looking for something that I know is out there and many others have contributed positively to this quest.

Many people come to this site asking the same questions I have asked and receive great input from others. My thought process is rational, Mr. Rational, and if people are unable to contribute positively to the conversation, then they have no business in it. So far, you have yet to provide any helpful information other than to reiterate the fact that I need a job. I KNOW I NEED A JOB and I will not apologize for looking for one in "someone else's" state. No state is perfect but they all have their opportunities.

As stated above, there has been a ridiculous amount of negativity in this thread. Guess with all the positive publicity this website receives and the great threads I have seen previously, I'm a little disappointed. Heaven forbid someone should want to move someplace better and ask for assistance in finding that place on a website created for situations just like that...

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandup View Post
So, "this is our state! Stay home, we don't want you here!"?
No, this is a "shallow rocks... no diving here" heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
Family moving south from Michigan, but where to???-nodiving.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina