U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM

28 posts, read 32,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Probably because many new posters do not read what has written before. North Carolina is not paradise, and you need a clear plan on how and where to find a job in your field. There are some counties in North Carolina which have 11-15% unemployment rates. Most are nice, friendly places, but just do not have jobs for the hoards of Michiganders who want to leave.
This is the US...paradise doesn't necessarily exist here anymore unless you are independently wealthy. I currently live in a city with a 12%+ unemployment rate. I'm not looking to live somewhere with an equally high unemployment rate. What I am looking for is the areas I should focus on. If I can't find decent jobs in that area, I will move on to the next place on the list. Plain and simple. Of the four states I mentioned, three have unemployment rates less than MI.

Also, from the sounds of it, there are plenty of people looking to get out of NC just like there are in MI. Jobs are not all that matter that people. It isn't a lack of jobs that is driving us to leave MI, it is so much more. While we may struggle to find our dream jobs in NC (or any other state, for that matter), we will find much more of what we want (weather, community, etc) in those areas than many others. My intention of starting this thread was to learn firsthand knowledge of some of the amazing places out there to help guide our job search. Obviously, some disagree and feel the job should guide the location search. I'm choosing a different method and I'm not quite sure why that can't be respected. I'm not looking for a false sense of reality or to make a move based on wishful thinking, so even negative information, like what cities to avoid and why, is helpful. However, telling people to avoid an entire state for negative reasons is ridiculous. I appreciate the feedback, but not beating a dead horse.

Last edited by upandup; 04-15-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No, this is a "shallow rocks... no diving here" heads up.
Noted. Thank you for the warning. I can assure you that I understand.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Any thoughts on the health care systems in NC? Apparently the state has nearly 150 hospitals. The four that top the list appear to be in a similar area-Highpoint, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, and Durham. That may be the are we focus on, as these appear to be large organizations with hundreds of job openings. Can anyone offer any input as to great (or not so great) health care oganizations to work for? I know that the cultures can vary quite a bit from one organization to the next. Pay can also vary by a significant amount. Any hospitals that seem to rank high on employee satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and pay?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,296,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandup View Post
Any thoughts on the health care systems in NC? Apparently the state has nearly 150 hospitals. The four that top the list appear to be in a similar area-Highpoint, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, and Durham. That may be the are we focus on, as these appear to be large organizations with hundreds of job openings. Can anyone offer any input as to great (or not so great) health care oganizations to work for? I know that the cultures can vary quite a bit from one organization to the next. Pay can also vary by a significant amount. Any hospitals that seem to rank high on employee satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and pay?
Duke is one of the top rated hospitals in the country, and also the largest in NC. You've also got the UNC Health Care System, as well as the Wake Forest University's hospital which is also ranked pretty high.

In Charlotte, you've got the Carolinas Healthcare System (which covers hospitals throughout Greater Charlotte, Upstate S.C., and Western NC).

None of them are horrible, I guess it depends on where in the medical field you want to be. For instance, Charlotte has the largest children's hospital outside of Washington D.C. in the South, so if you are looking for pediatric openings, it may be where you should start looking.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Duke is one of the top rated hospitals in the country, and also the largest in NC. You've also got the UNC Health Care System, as well as the Wake Forest University's hospital which is also ranked pretty high.

In Charlotte, you've got the Carolinas Healthcare System (which covers hospitals throughout Greater Charlotte, Upstate S.C., and Western NC).

None of them are horrible, I guess it depends on where in the medical field you want to be. For instance, Charlotte has the largest children's hospital outside of Washington D.C. in the South, so if you are looking for pediatric openings, it may be where you should start looking.
Levine Children's Hospital is on the main CMC campus in Charlotte, but it has expanded with a satellite in Gastonia.

There are loads of threads on the Charlotte sub-forum concerning people looking for medical-related jobs. The OP should do a search the forum check there. CMC hospitals are so spread out that we always tell people to find the job, then look for a town/house/schools.

OP, finding 2 jobs with 30 minute commutes may be impossible in this economy. As a native of Michigan, I understand what the winters are in Michigan. If you want out, I don't blame you, but just understand that people have been pouring into North Carolina after the economy collapsed as fast as jobs are created.

Posters have been answering vague "where should I go?" posts, not that much different from yours, for years now. The responses that you got here were not so much rude, in my opinion, as frustrated.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,191,434 times
I have been looking into moving to Winston Salem or G-Boro. How does Wilmington compare to the triad as far as size, arts, culture, etc? Being so close to the ocean certainly has an appeal all it's own, but not if it is a dump town.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I have been looking into moving to Winston Salem or G-Boro. How does Wilmington compare to the triad as far as size, arts, culture, etc? Being so close to the ocean certainly has an appeal all it's own, but not if it is a dump town.
One thing to keep in mind is that coastal regions are subject to hurricanes.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,296,445 times
Quote:
The Triad isn't very strong in really any of this. If you're looking for those type of activities, you need to look more into Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,191,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
The Triad isn't very strong in really any of this. If you're looking for those type of activities, you need to look more into Charlotte and Raleigh.
I went to Raleigh and didnt like it. A bunch of square, modern brick buildings surrounded by miles of urban sprawl and shopping strips. I figured Charlotte would be the same, considering it is a modern boom town. The triad seemed to have a lot more history and charm.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I went to Raleigh and didnt like it. A bunch of square, modern brick buildings surrounded by miles of urban sprawl and shopping strips. I figured Charlotte would be the same, considering it is a modern boom town. The triad seemed to have a lot more history and charm.
You can find history & charm wherever, but the Triad has the strong point of being in between Charlotte & Raleigh. If that's what works for you & you can find work, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina