Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwbwilm View Post
Just a sidenote:
To Mutiny77, meant to rate your post positively! I hit the button beside the quote button with the paper icon and plus sign, because I thought it mean rate positively. Then I saw the rate positively button. My mistake! Regardless, I still rated it positively once I saw the button for it!
No prob...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Doubt it. Asheville likes being what it is, and a place with breakneck job and population growth ain't it.

I terms of growth percentages, it seems like Wilmington qualifies.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem have what it takes, but it remains to be seen if they will become modern-day boomtowns a la Charlotte and the Triangle.
Asheville % wise grew faster then Greensboro between 2000-2010. I think Greensboro and Winston might have trouble. Having lived in Greensboro for quite some time, while it is a nice city it is kind of sprawling and somewhat stuck in a rut economically. Granted though if Greensboro can build its image as an education center, which it is, and shed some of its perception as a textile/tobacco/manufacturing town, it could really take off, but I think that is key.

Basically, while Asheville may like what it is I think it will attract a fair amount of people just based on its desirability, and reasonable COL. It would not surprise me if Asheville increasingly was "discovered" as a destination particularly for people who enjoy the outdoors and have jobs that they can work from wherever. Basically, I think Asheville could benefit from the same migration patterns that are helping out towns and cities in places like Western Montana. E.g. people with flexible jobs moving away from large coastal urban centers e.g. Seattle and San Francisco for cheaper yet "cool" cities with outdoor opportunities.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-14-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Basically, while Asheville may like what it is I think it will attract a fair amount of people just based on its desirability, and reasonable COL. It would not surprise me if Asheville increasingly was "discovered" as a destination particularly for people who enjoy the outdoors and have jobs that they can work from wherever. Basically, I think Asheville could benefit from the same migration patterns that are helping out towns and cities in places like Western Montana. E.g. people with flexible jobs moving away from large coastal urban centers e.g. Seattle and San Francisco for cheaper yet "cool" cities with outdoor opportunities.
And that's what will preclude Asheville from becoming a boomtown, IMO. Boomtowns have to provide lots of jobs that can be snapped up by transplants fairly easily and that pay a livable wage from the outset. Due to the relative lack of industry in Asheville, wages are depressed and people like college grads or mid-level professionals have tough times making a go of it. Asheville might register higher growth levels doing what it's currently doing but it won't become a boomtown.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
And that's what will preclude Asheville from becoming a boomtown, IMO. Boomtowns have to provide lots of jobs that can be snapped up by transplants fairly easily and that pay a livable wage from the outset. Due to the relative lack of industry in Asheville, wages are depressed and people like college grads or mid-level professionals have tough times making a go of it. Asheville might register higher growth levels doing what it's currently doing but it won't become a boomtown.
If that is what your going on Greensboro is further from being a boomtown. Guilford County has much higher unemployment then Buncombe. In fact, Asheville has some of the lowest unemployment in the state.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If that is what your going on Greensboro is further from being a boomtown. Guilford County has much higher unemployment then Buncombe. In fact, Asheville has some of the lowest unemployment in the state.
Unemployment rate alone doesn't tell the whole story; without even checking the stats, I'm sure Mecklenburg and Wake also have higher unemployment. And I don't know the history behind Greensboro's unemployment numbers, whether it's more so recession-related or not, but it has a much broader industrial and educational base, as well as more developed infrastructure and a good location, to build on in terms of developing the elements necessary to become a "boomtown." Realistically though, it might register an uptick in terms of growth in the near future but won't see Charlotte- or Triangle-like growth anytime soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM

89 posts, read 130,551 times
For smaller sized cities, Wilmington and Greenville are growing and expanding very nicely. In just the last 4 years, Greenville's city proper population has surpassed Jacksonville, and Asheville. Housing the third largest university in the state and with its rapidly growing healthcare center, I think it will continue to grow for a while.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
For smaller sized cities, Wilmington and Greenville are growing and expanding very nicely. In just the last 4 years, Greenville's city proper population has surpassed Jacksonville, and Asheville. Housing the third largest university in the state and with its rapidly growing healthcare center, I think it will continue to grow for a while.
East Carolina could do big things for Greenville, I just don't think Greenville realizes it's potential.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Greensboro and Winston-Salem have what it takes, but it remains to be seen if they
will become modern-day boomtowns a la Charlotte and the Triangle.
Let's hope not.

A few thousand good solid jobs with benefits? You bet.
A few thousand at the very bottom finding *something* to do? No doubt.
Boom town growth? No thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Let's hope not.

A few thousand good solid jobs with benefits? You bet.
A few thousand at the very bottom finding *something* to do? No doubt.
Boom town growth? No thanks.
Well the first two aren't going to come until the third does.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Well the first two aren't going to come until the third does.
If that's true (it isn't).... then the focus should be on de-populating some of these places.
The added infrastructure load of a boom isn't worth having those jobs <--The Point.

Pre-coffee mulling:
At present, Forsyth Co has 358,000; excluding the kids and retiree's (about 44% per census)
the total 8.8% unemployed comes to less than 20,000. But allowing the first 4% of unemployment
that is never solved (a "healthy" economy) leaves about 9600 (2.7% of 358,000) that need a job
or need luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina