Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are transplants the cause of the right swing in NC?
Yes 7 17.95%
No 24 61.54%
Not Sure 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times

Advertisements

It is pretty easy, really.

States with large numbers on the public dole vote democratic those that don't tend to not vote demo.

It's 100% about wealth transfer and who maintains a free ride. Just check one of those blue red maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

The Catholic population, which is generally Republican and conservative, has EXPLODED in the past 15 years or so.

Francois I would disagree with this point (about Catholics being republican and conservative). Many of the NY and New England transplants I've met here that are Catholic tend not to be regular church goers (especially among the men) and most seem to be anti (or indifferent) to firearms. Maybe it's the age group of people I tend to socialize with (mid 30s to mid 40s) but I don't find them to be conservative, especially to traditional southern standards. Again though just my observation.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
It is pretty easy, really.

States with large numbers on the public dole vote democratic those that don't tend to not vote demo.

It's 100% about wealth transfer and who maintains a free ride. Just check one of those blue red maps.
That's not true. 9 out of the 10 poorest states in the country voted for Mitt Romney, most of them southern states. The exception being New Mexico.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
That's not true. 9 out of the 10 poorest states in the country voted for Mitt Romney, most of them southern states. The exception being New Mexico.
Did not say poor states I said most on the dole. Huge difference.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Growing up n NC, it was common knowledge that Southern democrats always voted republican. They used to be called Jessiecrats. Have the number of registered democrats substantially increased since Obama's last election? Just wondering.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Growing up n NC, it was common knowledge that Southern democrats always voted republican. They used to be called Jessiecrats. Have the number of registered democrats substantially increased since Obama's last election? Just wondering.
The numbers on the State Board of Elections appear to be the relatively the same. You can do a query and see county by county but it looks like you will have to compare +/- changes on your own.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
NC has always been a closely balanced state. We had Jesse Helms and Terry Sanford in the US Senate at the same time. We developed the great UNC system in an era when we had an active Ku Klux Klan (remember the 1960's-era billboard on US 70 proclaiming "Welcome to Smithfield, home of the Ku Klux Klan"?). And so on.

More importantly, however, were the specific circumstances of the 2008 election. Many Americans believe that George W. Bush was the worst US President in modern history, and many North Carolinians were ready to throw out all Republicans in 2008. So Obama's coat tails carried a number of really weak Democrats into office, chief among them being the last Governor (Bev). In the next election, 2012, many voters realized that the Democrats were pretty much dysfunctional too, especially at the top, and the margin turned again. Soon enough you might see things turn yet again as normal North Carolinians sour on McCrory and his merry band of morons.

Where are the successors to people like Jim Hunt, Jim Martin, Terry Sanford, and Bill Friday when we need them so badly?
Really good post,

To the OP, not a bad hypothesis, but I think, in addition to the reasons cited by Hamish Forbes, it's more due to the rise of the Tea Party movement in general.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
I don't know if they have, but that would be very unfortunate. We've done a good job (until now) of keeping most of radical right out of office. It was like ole Jesse was enough for us for a long time... If there are extra R votes from transplants tipping the scales I have to assume they are rethinking their choices at this point.

I least I hope they are.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Definitely not true that Southern Democrats always voted Republican. There was certainly a contingent--mostly older white men with money--who grew up Democrats because there was a time when "anybody who was anybody" was a Democrat in any Southern state (Jesse Helms himself and Strom Thurmond were Democrats much of their lives).

But you neglect to mention the "Yellow Dog Democrats", so names because "they would vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat". This is another tradition going back very far in this state, especially among the more rural people (NC is over 80% rural in geography, though of course not in population).

And, there are a large number of home-grown LIBERAL Democrats. Most of the progressive groups I volunteer for here are either run by or have lots of leadership positions comprised from homegrown NC people with NC accents. Those are the folks who will get better inroads with politicians, by having street cred from growing up here and knowing the state, and talking like the person you're lobbying, vs. using a more brash, in-your-face manner with a strong accent from outside the region is going to. Most orgs have both, of course--but some of the most liberal people I know who worked day and night to fight against Amendment One are a straight couple in their 60s, deacons in their (progressive) church, from WILSON.

Dixiecrats certainly exist (or used to--by now, most of them have switched registration) but they were never the majority of all Southern Democrats, mostly just "Southern white male Democrats with power"

As for voter registration figures--that is actually something I track. Both Ds and Rs have decreased steadily as a % of the population in NC, in the past few years, with Unaffiliateds growing (and Libertarians, but they are such a small number, it doesn't take much to show a percentage increase). Every couple of months I even track the rate of increase/decrease, and for awhile, Republicans were decreasing at a slightly slower rate than Democrats (i.e., both were decreasing but Rs were "gaining") however just recently this has changed a little. It may be that since the election when NC took such a dramatic Right turn, it inspired more people to register democratic (though I personally recommend that everyone register Unaffiliated, as it gives you more options in Primaries: Unaffiliated can choose which party's primary to vote in, while those registered in a party can only vote in their own party's primary. If there's someone you consider really "scary" on either side and you're Unaffiliated, you can vote against them.) It's easy to switch parties--you can get a form online from the Board of Elections or just go to the desk at a public library.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Definitely not true that Southern Democrats always voted Republican. There was certainly a contingent--mostly older white men with money--who grew up Democrats because there was a time when "anybody who was anybody" was a Democrat in any Southern state (Jesse Helms himself and Strom Thurmond were Democrats much of their lives).

But you neglect to mention the "Yellow Dog Democrats", so names because "they would vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat". This is another tradition going back very far in this state, especially among the more rural people (NC is over 80% rural in geography, though of course not in population).

And, there are a large number of home-grown LIBERAL Democrats. ......

Dixiecrats certainly exist (or used to--by now, most of them have switched registration) but they were never the majority of all Southern Democrats, mostly just "Southern white male Democrats with power"

As for voter registration figures--that is actually something I track. Both Ds and Rs have decreased steadily as a % of the population in NC, in the past few years, with Unaffiliateds growing (and Libertarians, but they are such a small number, it doesn't take much to show a percentage increase).......
Excellent post... from one NC native to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina