U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 AM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,035,210 times
Reputation: 4724

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
No zoo or aquarium in Charlotte (I don't even like the zoo but one would think that a town the size of Charlotte would at least have one)

You have to drive somewhere else to get the benefits (the beach is such and such hours away, the mountains are such and such hours away, the zoo is in Asheville, NC, the aquarium is in Atlanta)

No law school in Charlotte

No dental school in Charlotte
Most dental offices are not open on Fridays or they close early

The fact that people in NC belittle anyone who doesn't come from NC but are in a major uproar if you say anything to them about NC. And insist that you conform or else. Take a look at how many posts there are on CD about Yankees, explaining how they don't want you here and the like. Last time I check Americans were free to roam America. And then make the argument that the D*** Yankee stated it, news flash not every person who moved to NC came from New York City.

Traffic is bad and the Lynx light rail doesn't service much of Charlotte.
Urban planners react 5-10 years after the fact.

Charlotte is hell for asthmatics and people with allergies. I suffer dearly.
I think it is only fair that you at least state where you are originally from. Maybe then I (we) can understand your complaints.

BTW, here is the link to Charlotte's School of Law.
Charlotte School of Law - Welcome

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have a feeling you never tried to look for Charlotte's Law School. It seems like you simply miss your home area and are looking for things to complain about here in Charlotte.

Let's face it. You admit that you don't frequent zoos, yet you complain that Charlotte's closest zoo is 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

What if I moved to your home area and complained that it did not have the World's largest man made whitewater center (and I have never been to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte). What would you think of me and my opinion if I did that in your home area?

Take it from someone who has lived in SEVERAL areas. A bad attitude will make the absolute worst out of any place you live. This is a fact. Keep in mind, if you were truly happy at home, you would not be in Charlotte right now. Just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
That works both ways. We are more than happy to stay here. Better than the alternative.

Because I had started a thread in another state and somebody emailed me and directed to me another one similar in NC.
Ya know, I could go to the Michigan thread and bash the state, the people, etc. etc. but I ain't trolling for a fight or an argument like those that jump in with their hatred and aggression in a thread for a part of the country they profess they would never move to (thank your for that). If yankee's were really the nice people they say they are, then why are so many trolling for fights in threads in sub forums for southern states.

I stick to the NC thread, perhaps you should stick to the MI thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
 
25 posts, read 60,649 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
Since my response wasn't NC enough I will respond with the post

Southern hospitality is a myth
I've never had a problem with Southerners in that regard, of course I'm from the Pacific NW where 'cold' doesn't just describe the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Reputation: 8282
Earlier you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post


This a NC thread, so I'll stop and end it here.

But then this diatribe appears
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I didn't want to get in a p*ssing match with you, but since you insist.
oH! really

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Yes, we have decaying neighborhoods in Detroit(started after Detroit riots in 1967), lots of them for that fact, but, it also has Indian Village & the Boston Edison District and other neighborhoods that are nice. Oakland county(the county I live in--adjacent to Wayne county) is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Bloomfield Hills is one city among them. Look it up.

I forgot about the Detroit Zoo, but most large cities have them and it is in my town of Royal Oak, but owned by city of Detroit.

Ever hear of the Woodward Dream Cruise? It is the largest in the nation. over 40,000 muscle cars from past decades. People come from all over the world each year. Jay Leno comes here for it sometimes.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/images/DCoakpress_0814.pdf (broken link)


You also have to remember that Detroit is the 4th or 5th largest area-wise city in the U.S. It is not just a couple miles square. Why am I telling you anyway? You should know that already, since you have been here.

We have many first time visitors to downtown Detroit that are a little surprised on what they see and what they expected. Especially, from all the bad media we have received over the years and righteously so, but they usually only show the bad and not the good that happens here. Makes a better story. It may be flat, but there is still a lot to do. You are pretty safe down there.

Government officials have been talking about putting in some kind of mass transit system for a while now, but with the economy the way it is now, it probably won't be for a while. We do have Amtrak though.

You are referring to what is known as "Michigan's turnarounds." Just seen other poster's post. lol

I never heard anybody complain about them, except for a few out-of-state people. Maybe you just don't how to use them and we have many intersections that allow left-hand turns. Buses, big trucks are not required to use them. At least buses anyway.

I don't know why they built it like that. Maybe because of all the traffic?

I found that Chicago's rail system down the middle of the freeways a little odd too, but hey, if it works for them, more power to them. Love Chicago.

By the way, do you know where the first paved road was at?

I never said we owned Cedar Point. I said it is 3 hours away(by car--you can also boat to it) and that you see a lot of Michigan license tags there. We all love going there. It's a Summer tradition for a lot of us. I would find it hard to believe that Ohio would want us to stop coming there. King's Island compared to Cedar Point? No offense to people from Ohio, but there is no comparison. They will tell you that themselves, if they have been to both of them, especially if you love roller coasters.

Like I said before, the "People Mover" is used for parking purposes. Not to get from one town to another. I will admit, I don't know anything about the Lynx, but it looks good. Wouldn't mind trying it out, if I ever visit.

Have been through Georgia a few times on way to Florida, but never stopped. I went to the Fayetteville, AR, "Blues, Bikes and BBQ Festival" a couple years ago and had a great time. Crowds were big to what they were used to(some of them said that), but I found it kind of a nice change, when you compare it to Detroit's crowds at events downtown. It is usually wall-to-wall people and loud. We are known for that. Atlanta doesn't even come close to cornering the market on that one. Sorry, we have it beat.

Our "International Freedom Fireworks Display" we have each year with Canada(set them off on barge on Detroit river), used to bring a million spectators. I don't know what it is now. Too many people for me. Not getting any younger.

We also have a motion picture industry building up here(don't forget to click on the link for "Detroit's Ruins." I'm sure you will and throw it in my face. I never said we were perfect.):

Postcard from Detroit - TIME

By the way---"Gran Torino" although based in Detroit, was actually filmed in nearby Highland Park, which is much worse than Detroit. My husband was a cop there for almost 30 years.

You are only looking at a tiny part of Michigan in the Southeast section of the state, not the whole picture.

Every state has its good and bad points and we as natives should be proud of where we are from.

Some of our paved roads here are actually being reverted back to dirt roads here(economic reasons) and many gardens in the city are sprouting up where houses once sat. Maybe they are right that sometimes good things come out of something bad.
But lets go back to;
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post


This a NC thread, so I'll stop and end it here.

waiting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 PM
 
222 posts, read 632,786 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofelves View Post
Does the state need yet another law school? There are what, six at last count including Elon's?

The point is more so Charlotte doesn't have one so in essence one would have to pack up and relocate. Not everyone can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Efland
1,878 posts, read 4,780,772 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
The point is more so Charlotte doesn't have one so in essence one would have to pack up and relocate. Not everyone can.
Or not.

Charlotte School of Law - Welcome

urbancharlotte already postd this, but I guess you missed it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
 
222 posts, read 632,786 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think it is only fair that you at least state where you are originally from. Maybe then I (we) can understand your complaints.

BTW, here is the link to Charlotte's School of Law.
Charlotte School of Law - Welcome

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have a feeling you never tried to look for Charlotte's Law School. It seems like you simply miss your home area and are looking for things to complain about here in Charlotte.

Let's face it. You admit that you don't frequent zoos, yet you complain that Charlotte's closest zoo is 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

What if I moved to your home area and complained that it did not have the World's largest man made whitewater center (and I have never been to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte). What would you think of me and my opinion if I did that in your home area?

Take it from someone who has lived in SEVERAL areas. A bad attitude will make the absolute worst out of any place you live. This is a fact. Keep in mind, if you were truly happy at home, you would not be in Charlotte right now. Just saying...


I have been in Charlotte for 8+ years so the bad attitude misconception as well as me missing home doesn't fly. Why is it that if someone comments on southern hospitality people immediately say it must be you. I don't have problems with people here, and have made lots of friends but from my observation, this so called southern hospitality is a myth. Have you checked out any other comments on CD? I am not the only person who has observed or commented on this. We all can't be making it up.

Whether I go to the zoo or not really doesn't matter, I do have children so am I not allowed to comment on that as well? It's MY opinion.

Again it's the same story because I stated MY opinion you have a problem. It's almost as if people from NC can say whatever about people who are not from NC, however if someone outside the area has something to about NC its like you are ready to start war.

People complain all the time, you are complaining because I stated how I felt. I'm over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,035,210 times
Reputation: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
I have been in Charlotte for 8+ years so the bad attitude misconception as well as me missing home doesn't fly. Why is it that if someone comments on southern hospitality people immediately say it must be you. I don't have problems with people here, and have made lots of friends but from my observation, this so called southern hospitality is a myth. Have you checked out any other comments on CD? I am not the only person who has observed or commented on this. We all can't be making it up.

Whether I go to the zoo or not really doesn't matter, I do have children so am I not allowed to comment on that as well? It's MY opinion.

Again it's the same story because I stated MY opinion you have a problem. It's almost as if people from NC can say whatever about people who are not from NC, however if someone outside the area has something to about NC its like you are ready to start war.

People complain all the time, you are complaining because I stated how I felt. I'm over it.
You seem angry. Awwwww, bless your heart. Just get your kids a season pass to Carowinds and drive them to Ashboro and you will do just fine. Also, be sure to go to a distant city for law school being that Charlotte doesn't have one.

Have a nice day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
 
25 posts, read 60,649 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
The point is more so Charlotte doesn't have one so in essence one would have to pack up and relocate. Not everyone can.
I was making a different point.

What was one of the best things about NC--the legal job environment with Wake, UNC, Duke, NC Central and Campbell servicing African-Americans or the state, regional and national legal market (depending on the school)--is now going downhill fast as far as the state job market it seems with the addition of two more schools.

My .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Ft. lauderdale
1 posts, read 2,020 times
Reputation: 15
Please get over this Yankee and Dixie, Hispanic, Black thing! It's old news and we are in the 21st century. People hating people because of the way they look, etc is ridiculous! We all have the same needs and wants, we all eat with our mouths, go to the bathroom the same way and when we die we will all rot the same way. Just because you are "white" and Southern doesn't make you better than anyone else. And weren't the Indians the true natives and everyones else came from somewhere else? Get real and wake up and smell the coffee. Diversity of people and cultures and nationalities is what makes this life exciting and wonderful and not boring!!! It's what keeps this world ALIVE! Before you know it we will all be living in one beautiful melting pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top