U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,153,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
In my opinion, the worst thing about NC is the fact that a significant portion of people seem to have never stepped foot in a driver's ed class. I live very close to the border, and while I may complain that South Carolinians drive as slow as molasses, I would rather drive near a slowpoke (on a multi-lane road, that is) than to have to deal with tailgaters, people who can't keep their cars in one lane, and people who don't use turn signals. These are things that should be engrained in every driver's head. I used to think it only happened in Gastonia, but I'm finding this to be true in other areas. What gives!?!
Couldn't agree more...and when we see cars flying down 77 and passing us like we're still, we know it's a NC plate for sure :-) ok well maybe just sometimes. SC drivers do tend to drive a little slower .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,439,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Now, especially in my area, the last 7 or 8 years has sucked....I cant remember the last time we've gotten a 6" snow.
Um, that would be this PAST WINTER...? At least in Raleigh (you don't say where you are, but you're posting in the general NC forum, and NC certainly get 6" last winter--though not since 2004 before that.)

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,210,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Um, that would be this PAST WINTER...? At least in Raleigh (you don't say where you are, but you're posting in the general NC forum, and NC certainly get 6" last winter--though not since 2004 before that.)
It says WNC. Also, I'm not talking about 6" cumulative. Maybe it was hard for you to interpret "a 6" snow." That means one snow that totaled 6".

Last edited by wcu25rs; 08-12-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM

116 posts, read 376,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Wow, I change my answer. My new answer, worse than giant cockroaches, is ignorant racists.

racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

Where in my reply did I mention that my race was superior to any other race or that I was prejudiced to another race?
I merely claimed that I do not want to be part of a melting pot for myself and my family and that I was proud of my heritage!
please get your facts straight before you call me a racist.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,780,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
It says WNC. Also, I'm not talking about 6" cumulative. Maybe it was hard for you to interpret "a 6" snow." That means one snow that totaled 6".
Here in the Triangle some places did get 6" in one snow.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,632,256 times
back to original topic
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 AM

240 posts, read 494,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
In my opinion, the worst thing about NC is the fact that a significant portion of people seem to have never stepped foot in a driver's ed class. I live very close to the border, and while I may complain that South Carolinians drive as slow as molasses, I would rather drive near a slowpoke (on a multi-lane road, that is) than to have to deal with tailgaters, people who can't keep their cars in one lane, and people who don't use turn signals. These are things that should be engrained in every driver's head. I used to think it only happened in Gastonia, but I'm finding this to be true in other areas. What gives!?!

The problem in NC is driver's ed. Basically, they just give away driver's licenses here. When you take a driver's ed course in high school here, you get only a few weeks, and afterwards they automatically put you on the road (with poor explanation). If you were actually to read a lot of the text book material (which is never covered), you'll probably know more than the average person in the class. In other states, that is enforced more. This state only wants to just throw people in things and not explain things promptly. They even do that when you look for work. Then, if you say something, they will give some ridiculous excuse like, ''you are old enough, and you should know.'' WTF!

Going back to the whole driving thing. People here seem to look at using your ''blinkers'' as a sign of weakness. I have to drive out of state a lot. Now, while they are as bad in other states with driving to one extent, they are better in another (especially with the merging.) People here in NC, I swear. They have to act as if whatever ground they're on is something for their sick minds to possess. I too have had to drive in Charlotte and some of its surrounding area. I agree. Charlotte area drivers are as bad, or, if not worse than in the triangle (or any other part of NC.) Also, many people from out of state are contributors. If you ask me, they need to revoke the licenses of just about everybody in NC. Not to mention, that owning a car in NC is and can be a real pain. A lot of accidents here happen due to people's repulsive driving habits. Also, us the good drivers have to pay dearly with increased premiums on vehicle insurance. Beware!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,875,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
The problem in NC is driver's ed. Basically, they just give away driver's licenses here. When you take a driver's ed course in high school here, you get only a few weeks, and afterwards they automatically put you on the road (with poor explanation). If you were actually to read a lot of the text book material (which is never covered), you'll probably know more than the average person in the class. In other states, that is enforced more. This state only wants to just throw people in things and not explain things promptly. They even do that when you look for work. Then, if you say something, they will give some ridiculous excuse like, ''you are old enough, and you should know.'' WTF!

Going back to the whole driving thing. People here seem to look at using your ''blinkers'' as a sign of weakness. I have to drive out of state a lot. Now, while they are as bad in other states with driving to one extent, they are better in another (especially with the merging.) People here in NC, I swear. They have to act as if whatever ground they're on is something for their sick minds to possess. I too have had to drive in Charlotte and some of its surrounding area. I agree. Charlotte area drivers are as bad, or, if not worse than in the triangle (or any other part of NC.) Also, many people from out of state are contributors. If you ask me, they need to revoke the licenses of just about everybody in NC. Not to mention, that owning a car in NC is and can be a real pain. A lot of accidents here happen due to people's repulsive driving habits. Also, us the good drivers have to pay dearly with increased premiums on vehicle insurance. Beware!
Cell usage when driving.
Driving like dyslexics doing 60 in a 45 , then stopping and sitting on green.
Offense to horn usage.
Lack of competent DOT.
Nosy people - not everywhere , but in specific areas. As if minding one's business is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
Certain bridges that are older than I being in need of replacement.
Failure of laws outlawing cell usage while driving.
Release of violent offenders before their lives are over.
Bias toward state capital and rural areas.
Red clay - indigenous to geographic location.
Monotony in certain aspects.
No 80's styled areas in town.
Too many dudes with goatees connected to moustaches.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM

49 posts, read 78,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
We have to have the worst infrastructure in the US. Do we? Out of all of the states I've traveled to, NC has the worst infrastructure (dated & overburdened)...
Then you haven't been to Pittsburgh, PA!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM

693 posts, read 1,408,456 times
Boring? Definitely not.
Worst thing about NC? Lack of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina