U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
doing their best to destroy the UNC system.
Too bad UNC will make it easier for them, what with all the cheating going on over there these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,015,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Too bad UNC will make it easier for them, what with all the cheating going on over there these days.
College athletics is and always has been a cesspool, but the legislature has presided over record increases in tuition ever since they got in 2011. It won't be long before many more working class North Carolinians will not be able to feasibly send their kids there w/o substantial debt.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,972,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
First of all, there are 16 Universities in the UNC system that all are capable of providing wonderful education and opportunities.

Second, mishandling of the schedules of some athletes doesn't speak for the overall educational quality, nor does it justifying taking away millions in funding from them or any other public university.

This state legislature has never been a particularly competent group of individuals, but since the Republican majority has taken over it's all gone straight to hell in a handbasket. First of all, they set us back about 20 years by deciding that civil rights should be a ballot issue.

They've cut funding at every level of education. They eliminated the Teaching Fellows program, it's one thing when you start screwing with current teachers, but now future teachers get the shaft as well.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM

116 posts, read 285,903 times
randomstudent, you got that one right as well. our legislature has been absolute crap since 2010. go figure,,,,,,

Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,693,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdlv79 View Post

*****I will be a new "transplant" there soon and ai don't appreciate you sterotyping us that way, especially since most of us "transplants" will probably end up being your boss.*****
Congratulations! You just reaffirmed his statement with your arrogant remark. What make you so sure you'll be his or HER boss?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM

34,555 posts, read 28,945,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Congratulations! You just reaffirmed his statement with your arrogant remark. What make you so sure you'll be his or HER boss?
Don't you know we get plenty of transplants who assume us ignorant rednecks have no formal education and are married to our 1st cousins?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,693,030 times
Lol, you're right !

Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,930,153 times
fayetteville

Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 AM

586 posts, read 1,036,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Just curious, what do NC residents think is the #1 negative of living in their beautiful state? I'd love to hear some opinions!
In my opinion, it's a wannabe city, I just heard it on TV as I write this, about Raleigh's Christmas parade, the TV anchor Anthony Wilson has the nerve to say "NYC has nothing on us" what a joke !!! Pleeeez. This is no NYC never will be ! The natives HATE change even if it's positive, they find a way to turn it to negative.... I will get slammed for expressing my opinion but oh we'll... Good luck, please check this place out thoroughly before moving here!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM

1,918 posts, read 3,511,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
White people may say this to each other, like some black people call each other the "N" word, but if you are another race calling them the "N" word, will get you more trouble than you bargained for. Give it a try sometime, Holmes.
Actually, the term "cracker" did not originally have to do with race, though it referred to Scotch-Irish and Ulster immigrants to the American colonies; it came from "jaw-cracker", which referred to one who boasted of his prowess and accomplishments. Before stability and literacy really hit Scotland or the northern parts of Ireland and England (mid to late 1600s), the prevailing culture was pretty much "putting up and not shutting up", so to speak. Constant fighting, rivalry, both against the Crown who was trying to subdue them and among the clans in the area, was the norm. This did not stop among those in that group who emigrated to America. Most of these folks settled in what is now the South. And the blacks that were brought here picked up the culture too, if they were around those whites that perpetuated it (tribalism, touchiness about pretty much everything and a willingness to fight to the death for trivialities, emphasis on "respect", tendency not to work very hard or regularly since the future is uncertain, etc., etc.) and did not make moves to resist it a la Fredrick Douglass or W.E. Dubois. It is not strictly a race issue by any means.

This is thanks to "Black Rednecks and White Liberals", a book by Thomas Sowell, an economist and historian. He also references another book called "Cracker Culture", which I have not yet read but is referenced regarding the phenomenon above.

Never visited NC (lived in DC for a little bit and have visited VA several times) but am praying for it and am trying to get more of a feel for what goes on here so I know for what I am praying as far as souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina