U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,048,810 times

Advertisements

Let's be real...in general, a LOT of things suck about North Carolina.

-So ridiculously humid in the summer that you still feel like you need a shower when you step out of the shower
-No seasons. Anyone who says "we have seasons" in North Carolina is being silly. We have a sticky summer and a dreary winter.
-Everyone outside of the biggest cities is so backwoods that it's ridiculous (and I'm not talking about politics)
-Turkey manure smells all over.
-Hurricanes/hurricane-related floods

omg, this state sucks so bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

-So ridiculously humid in the summer that you still feel like you need a shower when you step out of the shower
-No seasons. Anyone who says "we have seasons" in North Carolina is being silly. We have a sticky summer and a dreary winter.
-Everyone outside of the biggest cities is so backwoods that it's ridiculous (and I'm not talking about politics)

I find your comment to be more honest than other posters who like to use those typical southern stereotypes in order to justify their prejudices they already had about the south!

Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,173,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
An atheist in the Bible belt, yea I hear you, but I gather you live in/near Charlotte, which make that surprising. Granted not unusual when introduced to someone from the more rural areas, a common question they have is "where do you church?", and my answer is "we don't". On the rare instance where they want to push the topic, and I don't feel the need not ruffle feathers, I might respond with "I'm a god fearing atheist" and watch them try to process that.

Guns? I own guns, I have legally carried a gun for many years, no one has ever been aware, except friends/family many of whom own and or carry guns. Not sure how that is a gun culture, but it does address your comment on crime, which neither NC nor Charlotte has a monopoly on. Where is this safe place you would move to?

Weather, well this is the south... I live in the mountains and have a weather station that records my weather 24/7/365. High temperature at my house this year? 88... last year 90, but only 1 time.

Traffic? With cities comes jobs, opportunity, and traffic. Name a city that doesn't have traffic problems.

Education is dismal.

Republican strangle hold and gerrymandering, which to some aspect addresses the dismal education system. Republican run state government that has legislated that global warming, rising oceans are irrelevant and taken the stance they will be ignored. Full circle of our dismal education system?

Most of it we knew going in.. traffic, education, religion etc.. its still just annoying... We live on the outskirts of the city in arguably one of the more conservative parts... didn't know that one coming into it.

We're more concerned with education issues, high crime in our immediate area.... husband has some job prospects elsewhere.. ideally move to a smaller town, probably back in New England and do some light homesteading. Nearly all of our family is up there anyways.. my sister is really the only family we have here and she's also moving out of the area.. makes more sense to be around family when you have a kiddo. Well, at least can make life easier.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,380,254 times
After moving from a wonderful place in the Northeastern US, I've lived in and about the Charlotte Area for more years than most of you have been alive. I have only had face to face encounters with religious zealots occasionally during that time. They were usually two youngsters in white shirts and ties riding bicycles in my neighborhood. I got the distinct impression they were from out of town...... way out of town. LOL!

Those of you trashing the state, should have done your homework. Most, if not all, of what you mention was blatantly evident prior to your move. (weather, religion, politics, taxes, "funny" accent, etc.) Yet, like the young woman who marries the philandering drunkard, you just knew you could change it. Wrong!

To paraphrase, plagiarize, or modify part of a very important movie, "If you ain't got your mind right Luke, you won't get along here."

You should try to assimilate! You should not start preaching "that isn't the way we did it back in (fill in the state/city)".

Old 11-15-2018, 01:16 PM

2,281 posts, read 2,251,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

Every small town in NC has residents that are well educated and have travelled the world.

There is plenty of old money and many celebrities have homes in the mountains and on the coast.

People from small towns in NC even host presidential fundraisers at $25,000 a plate.

They also are inconspicuous and drive Fords.

Real class and real old money are hard to spot but definitely reside in all 100 counties.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:25 PM

2,281 posts, read 2,251,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You just love to take jabs at Charlotte every chance you get, don't you? I know there are a lot of churches in Charlotte, but I've never encountered any religious fanatics trying to shove religion down my throat there! I've only had that happen to me in smaller towns like my hometown of Lexington and Kernersville when I lived there! You just have this hatred for Charlotte and you want to get everyone to hate Charlotte as well!
Think what you want but Charlotte is well known for the churches as well as PTL and Billy Graham.

Charlotte brands itself purposely without association to NC (Charlotte USA), which is foolish since the state is highly regarded with lots of cachet.

So until Charlotteans go out and learn more about the rest of the state and identify with it, I have every right to point out that the experience in Charlotte doesn’t necessarily apply to the rest of the state which I have embraced for 50 years including Charlotte.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,150,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Every small town in NC has residents that are well educated and have travelled the world.

There is plenty of old money and many celebrities have homes in the mountains and on the coast.

People from small towns in NC even host presidential fundraisers at $25,000 a plate.

They also are inconspicuous and drive Fords.

Real class and real old money are hard to spot but definitely reside in all 100 counties.
You're completely delusional...

Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,150,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
After moving from a wonderful place in the Northeastern US, I've lived in and about the Charlotte Area for more years than most of you have been alive. I have only had face to face encounters with religious zealots occasionally during that time. They were usually two youngsters in white shirts and ties riding bicycles in my neighborhood. I got the distinct impression they were from out of town...... way out of town. LOL!

Those of you trashing the state, should have done your homework. Most, if not all, of what you mention was blatantly evident prior to your move. (weather, religion, politics, taxes, "funny" accent, etc.) Yet, like the young woman who marries the philandering drunkard, you just knew you could change it. Wrong!

To paraphrase, plagiarize, or modify part of a very important movie, "If you ain't got your mind right Luke, you won't get along here."

You should try to assimilate! You should not start preaching "that isn't the way we did it back in (fill in the state/city)".
You would think that the top notch "education" in other places would have included a moderate element of research. Not to mention it's a bunch of hyperbole about NC negatives.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,815,134 times
Moved to the mountains of WNC two years ago after roasting in FL for eight.
No reason to complain, I live on top of a mountain surrounded be my 65 A homestead, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, and the next one is another 1/2 mile.
Gotta love it !
Never could understand why people want to live on each other's shoulders.
Hope everyone finds their place.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:58 AM

1,252 posts, read 719,544 times
the northerners in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina