U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 6,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Of course, I'd love to hear the best thing also-hope that didn't sound to negative!
Worst: coal ash,Poor health care that harms instead of helps people. swampy (bugs, pests vermin), too much rain. Hot summers, confederates who never accepted defeat, good ole boy county commissioners, ant-medical marijuana, anti medicaid, anti-underclass.

Best: Great gas station chicken, friendly people shouting hi neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 AM

Default "cold mountain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I've noticed that family heritage and history is a very important aspect of the lives of many NC families too. Some families have been here for over 350 years. That's over a 100 years before the United States was even a dream. It's also worth mentioning that the population had serious reservations about being a part of new independent nation, the United States of America. It was a very hard sell by the founding fathers to bring the Carolina Colony on board to the concept.

Compared to the northern states, the losses suffered by NC during the Civil War were massive, especially considering the small population of less than 1 million residents. Around 4% of the total population of NC died during the war. No other southern state gave more in the cause of freedom from a centralized government. The war was not unlike the War of Independence fom England.

The war was very up close and personal for the general population too. The burning of southern homesteads and the destruction of their ability to provide for their families by Union soliders was not uncommon, causing starvation and disease. That's something families never forget in any region. Something for new residents to remember when making North Carolina their home. We love to have ya, but please be respectful of our heritage.
I recommend the novel, "cold mountain" by charles frazier. It's told through the eyes of a confederate soldier.

It's a story about redemption.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
the northerners in the state
Bless you my son.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:47 AM

I like mayberry and andy griffith.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,245,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well, it's been a while since the dawn of the automotive age! Now the "Good Roads State" has morphed into the "What Roads? State".

Maybe that's the problem ...a state-maintained network! Adding some county and municipality money might have assured that many two-lane country bumpkin roads would have been built as wider, four-lane roads. 74 was obsolete the day it opened in 1959. With all of the highway building that went on in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, and with the vast amount of funding coming from the Feds, North Carolina seems to be the land that time and funding forgot! Sometimes being "too cheap", to come up with 10% state funds to match the 90% Federal money, comes back to bite you in the gluteus maximus!
You are right in the state using the highway trust fund for other purposes.

I hope that has stopped, but I understand that sometimes it's necessary during extreme recessions.

But I think NC's aging roads are like other states such as Pennsylvania where everything is reaching the end of its service life of the initial construction , unfortunately all at once.

NCDOT presents the legislature with s bi-annual report of the condition of NC's $575 billion worth of roads and infrastructure.

It might be the most impressive effort of any DOT in the country, because I posted a link to it on some road-geek websites, and the only two states with something similar were from Minnesota and New York.

This report is impressive because they even use color to easily hone in on the most critical items needing immediate attention.

Here's the link:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/...%20(MOPAR).pdf

Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,046,060 times
The story of so many women in rural NC:

Quote:
I picked a good day for a recreational percocet
I've got an itch to just get high
I'm in the middle of the worst of it
These are the best years of my life
I've got the hankering for intellectual emptiness
I've got the need to ease my mind
I'll watch some re-runs on the TV set
I was looking forward to
Staying here forever
'Cause you asked me to
Didn't think that I could do better
So I settled down
In this ten-cent town
It's about to break me
I'm gonna mix a drink and try to drown this worthlessness
Call mom and tell her I'm alright
Well he don't love me but he ain't gone yet
Uh uh uh
Uh uh uh
Uh uh uh
Yeah I was looking forward to
Staying here forever
'Cause you asked me to
Didn't think that I could do better
So I settled down
In this ten-cent town
It's about to break me
I picked a good day for a recreational percocet
I've got an itch to just get high
I'm in the middle of the worst of it
Your smarts, drive, goals and dreams are sucked away by living in the wasteland...

Old 11-30-2018, 06:09 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
The story of so many women in rural NC:

Your smarts, drive, goals and dreams are sucked away by living in the wasteland...
What a crock.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 3,017,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
What a crock.
+1. There are plenty of women in ENC that I’ve known since elementary school and most of them turned out pretty well. Hell, one of them started her own photography business based in Pikeville and is now making damn good money being booked in Wayne and Wilson counties. Happily married with 4 kids. The ones that didn’t turn out so well was mostly due to their own choices. Same can be said for the guys.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:36 AM

6,133 posts, read 2,837,749 times
The only bad thing about NC is overdevelopment .

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,872,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You just love to take jabs at Charlotte every chance you get, don't you? I know there are a lot of churches in Charlotte, but I've never encountered any religious fanatics trying to shove religion down my throat there! I've only had that happen to me in smaller towns like my hometown of Lexington and Kernersville when I lived there! You just have this hatred for Charlotte and you want to get everyone to hate Charlotte as well!
I live in a rural town outside of Charlotte, and have many family members and co-workers that are very active in the many churches here, but I am not a regular church goer personally. I have NEVER had anyone try to force their religion at me or be over bearing about going to church. I've lived here almost 20 years. Someone may occasionally mention that their church is having a special music program or revival. That's about it. I don't know who all these people are associating with that are that fanatical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina