U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 05:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,873,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
For me personally:

-The amount of religion in your face (we are atheist).. We knew it was bible belt coming into the move but my god. I've had men I didn't know approach my daughter to recruit her to youth group. I've been told to "get right" with the religion here and find myself a good church. I see shirts that say "stand for MY flag and kneel for MY god or get out of MY country"

-Gun Culture/ Confederate Flags- I see a lot of gun bumper stickers, sweaters, hats etc.

-Over patriotism in your face and threatening (saw a sweater the other day that said "stomp of my flag and I'll stomp on your f*!^ing face"

-State income tax- again knew that coming in but do miss living in a non-taxed state

-Summers are hot as hell and long

-Wish we had more snow. Like the colder winters but can be a bit of a drag if its just always cold but no snow to come with it. Kiddo likes the snow so its always fun for her

-Charlotte has some really high violent crime. I hear nightly of shootings, murders etc.

-Education is something like 49th in the country. I homeschool but its an issue for my sister and one of the reasons shes leaving after moving here last year.

-Traffic but only cause we live near a city. Its a given obviously, but can get pretty bad and a hassle if you have an appt or something
These factors that you listed exist pretty much in every single state in the South. How much research did you do prior to moving here? You didn't know the summers are hot/humid and that there's little snow? You didn't check the school rankings? You didn't know there would be pro-gun people? You didn't know Charlotte has a crime problem? You didn't expect any rednecks or Confederate flags in the South? What were the desirable factors that brought you here? Just curious.

That being said, I agree with most of your points. I think a lot of people think that it's some kind of Mayberry here. It's not. The same ills and problems that exist everywhere else in the 21st century exist here as well, along with some old Southern cultures and mindsets that have always been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 AM

295 posts, read 105,682 times
Agreed . Maybe the problem is more the medium of driving than the drivers themselves?

I get tired of hearing people complain about drivers everywhere I go.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 PM

156 posts, read 73,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
For me personally:

-The amount of religion in your face (we are atheist).. We knew it was bible belt coming into the move but my god. I've had men I didn't know approach my daughter to recruit her to youth group. I've been told to "get right" with the religion here and find myself a good church. I see shirts that say "stand for MY flag and kneel for MY god or get out of MY country"

-Gun Culture/ Confederate Flags- I see a lot of gun bumper stickers, sweaters, hats etc.

-Over patriotism in your face and threatening (saw a sweater the other day that said "stomp of my flag and I'll stomp on your f*!^ing face"

-State income tax- again knew that coming in but do miss living in a non-taxed state

-Summers are hot as hell and long

-Wish we had more snow. Like the colder winters but can be a bit of a drag if its just always cold but no snow to come with it. Kiddo likes the snow so its always fun for her

-Charlotte has some really high violent crime. I hear nightly of shootings, murders etc.

-Education is something like 49th in the country. I homeschool but its an issue for my sister and one of the reasons shes leaving after moving here last year.

-Traffic but only cause we live near a city. Its a given obviously, but can get pretty bad and a hassle if you have an appt or something

Oh Lordy this is good.

Y'all move yourselves down here and then have the AUDACITY to complain about our culture. Who in the world FORCED y'all to come on down here? Somebody have a gun on your back?

Sheesh....Can you imagine someone welcoming a guest into their home and then that guest proceeds tell the home owner how much they hate their house? Y'all are so entitled there ain't even a word for it....other than NORTHERN.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Sheesh....Can you imagine someone welcoming a guest into their home and then that guest proceeds tell the home owner how much they hate their house? Y'all are so entitled there ain't even a word for it....other than NORTHERN.
Even though I lived for many years in TX and FL, I live in Chicago now so you’ll probably consider me a northerner when we move to NC next year. Just know that not all northerners think one culture is better than another or that we want to change others. I’m looking forward to experiencing NC culture, and we’ve been very pleased with the kindness of strangers we’ve encountered in Charlotte and the Triangle. It’s too bad some bad actors and stereotypes of northerners and southerners sometimes overshadow the good folks from all over.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:50 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Quote:
Oh Lordy this is good.

Y'all move yourselves down here and then have the AUDACITY to complain about our culture. Who in the world FORCED y'all to come on down here? Somebody have a gun on your back?

"Our culture" is many different things in NC, and no, not every NC native subscribes to the gun-totin', rebel flag in your face, backwards-thinking mindset. In fact, it is espoused by a minority here (fortunately), although that minority has become more emboldened recently by a certain incompetent so-called "leader" who happens to occupy a house in Washington, DC. Not meaning to get too political here, but people should be aware that there are plenty of progressive people in NC who want to restore its reputation as a forward-thinking, diverse, thought-leading state.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
"Our culture" is many different things in NC, and no, not every NC native subscribes to the gun-totin', rebel flag in your face, backwards-thinking mindset. In fact, it is espoused by a minority here (fortunately), although that minority has become more emboldened recently by a certain incompetent so-called "leader" who happens to occupy a house in Washington, DC. Not meaning to get too political here, but people should be aware that there are plenty of progressive people in NC who want to restore its reputation as a forward-thinking, diverse, thought-leading state.
True of every state I have ever lived in, just manifest differently some places vs others. Sadly most cities, states, even countries are probably (mis)characterized by their more visible vocal minorities and not their silent majorities.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:04 AM

2,257 posts, read 2,247,088 times
Quote:
Oh Lordy this is good.

An equal amount or more North Carolineans over the last 100 years left and moved to the Northeast, Midwest or California.

They and I were free to complain about everything we felt was done better by NC.

The states are UNITED and we can move about freely, but newcomers shouldn't have to remain silent for fear of offending a native.

Instead, you shouldn't be expecting newcomers to denigrate something about your culture that for some reason becomes an insult to you on a personal level.

They know things are better where you are, and they don't connote us with the negative stereotypes of the past.

Don't be so overly-sensitive about the way we Southerners do things. Just reply, "Up Yours", lol.

Mutual respect is achieved.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,046,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
+1. There are plenty of women in ENC that Iíve known since elementary school and most of them turned out pretty well. Hell, one of them started her own photography business based in Pikeville and is now making damn good money being booked in Wayne and Wilson counties. Happily married with 4 kids. The ones that didnít turn out so well was mostly due to their own choices. Same can be said for the guys.
Your friend is an outlier. "Photographer" around here is usually code for "stay-at-home mommy who takes pictures for people here and there to make some extra grocery money." Married with four kids certainly isn't uncommon, especially if at least two of them were born before mommy was 25. The first-born was usually born before mommy was 21 or 22. There are also usually at least two baby daddies...

Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 PM

240 posts, read 225,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As a NC native I can confidently say that the rest of the state is not preoccupied with organized religion like Charlotte or thinks it's appropriate in polite conversation with strangers.

The fanaticism about organized religion and overabundance of churches is particular to Charlotte going way back.
I don't think of Charlotte as having more religious zealots than any other part of the state. The Triad area isn't lacking for churches like most states in the Bible Belt.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM

28 posts, read 13,477 times
Default That's the worst?

Wow, I am seriously looking for a place for us to retire and if the worst thing is that there are a lot of churches and religious people, this is sounding pretty good. I should probably be in the Western NC forum, because I am determined to end up in the Blue Ridge Mountains somewhere, but this thread fascinated me. I have lived in 3 different states and in places small enough to have only one stoplight, and in the Los Angeles area. I have traveled in about 30 of the states and I hear similar likes and dislikes just about everywhere. No place reached out and grabbed me like my first time in the Blue Ridge Mountains. In GA, TN, VA, and NC there is an amazing amount of beauty, and I have enjoyed the hospitality of the people. I try to be a good neighbor, and it seems to me like the majority of people are that way. I have been invited to churches, synagogues and Sikh and Hare Krishna events. None of those invitations ever offended me. I am wondering a little after reading this if there is real hostility toward Christians there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina