U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:11 AM

1,371 posts, read 461,700 times

Advertisements

[quote=lkmax;53646646]Let's be real...in general, a LOT of things suck about North Carolina.

-So ridiculously humid in the summer that you still feel like you need a shower when you step out of the shower
-No seasons. Anyone who says "we have seasons" in North Carolina is being silly. We have a sticky summer and a dreary winter.
-Everyone outside of the biggest cities is so backwoods that it's ridiculous (and I'm not talking about politics)
-Turkey manure smells all over.
-Hurricanes/hurricane-related floods

omg, this state sucks so bad[/QUOTE/]

have you considered relocating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Amendment One, too much fried and sweet food (unhealthy), a conservative legislature, and pollen.
In that order? LOL

Old 12-24-2018, 07:18 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Riley...Are you trolling or what? There are four seasons in NC, especially the Piedmont to Mountains area which covers 2/3 the state. Humid? Yes, some parts of summer...more like July and August, and in line with most of the US for that time of year. Having apparently visited all corners of the state (insert eyeroll) can you elaborate where you felt the "backwoods" feel? The same goes for the smell of turkey manure, which I don't seem to recall anywhere I've been in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill-Carrboro, Burlington, Elon, Greensboro, Winston Salem, Stateville, Charlotte, Asheville, Boone and Highlands to name just some.) Hurricanes/flooding happen as frequently if not more so in a dozen other states so please explain how NC stands out?

Old 12-28-2018, 05:48 PM

28 posts, read 13,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the intent is to sell you on their church. I grew up going to church and even though we were not evangelical there was some talk of "witnessing" to the community and the intent to bring others into the fold.
It looks like I stirred up more than I intended here. But I must comment. Evangelical is not a denomination and it does not have "tenants". The word used to mean something as it differentiated between two different sub-theologies within Christianity. Anymore it seems to mean those who are actually believers, but it seems it is most often used in a derogatory way. I have been fascinated with beliefs since I was very young, and long before I became a Christian. I was always curious about what people believed and why. I know there are some Christians that get a little pushy, but I am not aware of any Christian denomination that believes we are to convert or proselytize. The bible is pretty clear that only God can convert, and although we are told to share the good news, it is not up to us or within our power to change anyone. I don't see inviting anyone to church any different than inviting them to a new restaurant. Of course, I hope they enjoy it.

Awhile ago I had some friends invite us to go to a Cher concert with them. My first thought was "Why would I voluntarily go somewhere to listen to the bellowing of a wounded buffalo?" But instead, I politely declined. Some time later I had an opportunity to invite them to go with us to an Alison Krauss concert. Now I don't care if they would prefer Cher, but it just wouldn't be right not to offer an opportunity for something better.

There is true proselytizing in Islam, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness and Scientology. It is part of their mission and duty. The people I meet that seem to want to convince me the most of their religion are Atheists. with anyone, I enjoy discussing each others beliefs and I have read literature from all of them. If they want to argue, they can find someone else.

I still say if people inviting me to their church is considered one of the worst things about NC, it must be a pretty good place!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:45 AM

217 posts, read 70,465 times
I’m from the Midwest, now in NC. It’s been surprising and irritating to hire service people to come to my home for a job and they spend time trying to convince me to switch to their church and then leave religious booklets behind when they leave. I have the choice to not call them again but I dislike that the “job” time was longer due to the time spent evangelizing.

Is it unbearable? No, but it was not part of the work agreement.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,247,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You're completely delusional...
Ok. I challenge you to name one town with at least 500 people living in it, in North Carolina,

that doesn't have a single resident with a doctorate degree from a reputable educational institution,

or doesn't have a single resident that has travelled to at least 3 other countries on another continent.

Even in the most primitive counties such as outhouse- abundant Warren County, where young doctors say women still use slices of sweet potato as diaphragms...

there are actors doing community theater productions (Littleton Dinner Theater) such as Mame, who fraternize with Broadway veterans.
I'm from Louisburg, small, poor & destitute-looking.

But everyone I grew up came from old money, all the girls were NC debutantes, the guys went to Virginia boarding schools such as Episcopal in D.C. (Alexandria).

All my cousins and my immediate family have been all over Europe and Asia, and all but one has a degree from either Carolina, NC State or Wake Forest Univ.

My Godparent's (in Louisburg) niece(in Raleigh) married a guy who is Michael Eisner's right hand man & together they used to head ABC/Disney.

My mother, from Louisburg, lived in New York and was cast in the 1959 spy thriller "Man on a String" starring Ernest Borgnine (Trailer showing both of them on YouTube).

So, maybe over there around Charlotte where Appalachia starts to thicken, it might seem uneducated, but I doubt you can generalize every single citizen like that

Old 12-30-2018, 09:45 PM

793 posts, read 288,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Iím from the Midwest, now in NC. Itís been surprising and irritating to hire service people to come to my home for a job and they spend time trying to convince me to switch to their church and then leave religious booklets behind when they leave. I have the choice to not call them again but I dislike that the ďjobĒ time was longer due to the time spent evangelizing.

Is it unbearable? No, but it was not part of the work agreement.
Thatís, um, weird. Outside the occasional Jehovahís Witness, I canít say Iíve ever seen or heard anything even approaching that.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:11 AM

3,462 posts, read 3,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Ok. I challenge you to name one town with at least 500 people living in it, in North Carolina,

that doesn't have a single resident with a doctorate degree from a reputable educational institution,

or doesn't have a single resident that has travelled to at least 3 other countries on another continent.

Even in the most primitive counties such as outhouse- abundant Warren County, where young doctors say women still use slices of sweet potato as diaphragms...

there are actors doing community theater productions (Littleton Dinner Theater) such as Mame, who fraternize with Broadway veterans.
I'm from Louisburg, small, poor & destitute-looking.

But everyone I grew up came from old money, all the girls were NC debutantes, the guys went to Virginia boarding schools such as Episcopal in D.C. (Alexandria).

All my cousins and my immediate family have been all over Europe and Asia, and all but one has a degree from either Carolina, NC State or Wake Forest Univ.

My Godparent's (in Louisburg) niece(in Raleigh) married a guy who is Michael Eisner's right hand man & together they used to head ABC/Disney.

My mother, from Louisburg, lived in New York and was cast in the 1959 spy thriller "Man on a String" starring Ernest Borgnine (Trailer showing both of them on YouTube).

So, maybe over there around Charlotte where Appalachia starts to thicken, it might seem uneducated, but I doubt you can generalize every single citizen like that

YOU ARE DELUSIONAL and basing everything on YOUR small ass world. There are tons of small towns in NC where people don't have doctorate agrees and many haven't ever been to Raleigh (much less traveled outside of America). It isn't surprising because your responses reinforce a level of nonsense and ignorance that is out of this world.... I don't even know where to start.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:40 AM

793 posts, read 288,282 times
I joked about it on another thread, but did you get your knowledge of rural NC from Andy Griffith?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Riley...Are you trolling or what? There are four seasons in NC, especially the Piedmont to Mountains area which covers 2/3 the state. Humid? Yes, some parts of summer...more like July and August, and in line with most of the US for that time of year. Having apparently visited all corners of the state (insert eyeroll) can you elaborate where you felt the "backwoods" feel? The same goes for the smell of turkey manure, which I don't seem to recall anywhere I've been in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill-Carrboro, Burlington, Elon, Greensboro, Winston Salem, Stateville, Charlotte, Asheville, Boone and Highlands to name just some.) Hurricanes/flooding happen as frequently if not more so in a dozen other states so please explain how NC stands out?
I asked if the person had considered relocating. I did not voice the complaints about NC since I don't live there.
I think the copying/quote didn't work right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina