Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times

Advertisements

Here in Ohio we call those "Michigan turn-arounds" and your right, they are stupid. I drive a dumptruck and deliver coal to Detroit power in the winter and those things are a pain in the backside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM

206 posts, read 439,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Peacechild

Stop wasting your time. I used to be an over the road trucker. I also used to live near Columbus, Ohio. I am familiar with Detroit, Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, and just about every other town in the snow belt. You are trying to educate someone who has seen and lived in your general area. I am sorry to say, but I was NEVER impressed with Detroit. It is a city that has lost EVERYTHING to its own suburbs and you know it. Most of Detroit looks and feels like the Beattes Ford Road area of Charlotte. There are also many areas of Detroit that look like Charlotte's 36th Street and Parkwood areas. These are some of Charlotte's worst hoods. The one thing I hated the most about Detroit was the fact you can not make a left turn at major intersections. To make a left, you have to go past your turn (one block), wait for a light to change, and hang a u-turn. Then you have to make a right at your street. This was the dumbest design I have ever seen!!! And that's saying a lot because I have seen the entire Nation.

BTW, Cedar Point is more of Cleveland and Toledo's park than it is Detroit's. Where I used to live, Kings Island near Cincy was closer.

And here is a photo of the LYNX train. Trust me, it is not a downtown people mover. LOL

photo by James Willamor

The only thing I will say is that Detroit is more urban than ANYTHING down South. However, I would highly suggest you make a trip to some of the larger southern cities before you attempt to defend Detroit against them. Atlanta pretty much blows Detroit away when it comes to parties and such. Seriously!!!
I didn't want to get in a p*ssing match with you, but since you insist.

Yes, we have decaying neighborhoods in Detroit(started after Detroit riots in 1967), lots of them for that fact, but, it also has Indian Village & the Boston Edison District and other neighborhoods that are nice. Oakland county(the county I live in--adjacent to Wayne county) is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Bloomfield Hills is one city among them. Look it up.

I forgot about the Detroit Zoo, but most large cities have them and it is in my town of Royal Oak, but owned by city of Detroit.

Ever hear of the Woodward Dream Cruise? It is the largest in the nation. over 40,000 muscle cars from past decades. People come from all over the world each year. Jay Leno comes here for it sometimes.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/images/DCoakpress_0814.pdf (broken link)

You also have to remember that Detroit is the 4th or 5th largest area-wise city in the U.S. It is not just a couple miles square. Why am I telling you anyway? You should know that already, since you have been here.

We have many first time visitors to downtown Detroit that are a little surprised on what they see and what they expected. Especially, from all the bad media we have received over the years and righteously so, but they usually only show the bad and not the good that happens here. Makes a better story. It may be flat, but there is still a lot to do. You are pretty safe down there.

Government officials have been talking about putting in some kind of mass transit system for a while now, but with the economy the way it is now, it probably won't be for a while. We do have Amtrak though.

You are referring to what is known as "Michigan's turnarounds." Just seen other poster's post. lol

I never heard anybody complain about them, except for a few out-of-state people. Maybe you just don't how to use them and we have many intersections that allow left-hand turns. Buses, big trucks are not required to use them. At least buses anyway.

I don't know why they built it like that. Maybe because of all the traffic?

I found that Chicago's rail system down the middle of the freeways a little odd too, but hey, if it works for them, more power to them. Love Chicago.

By the way, do you know where the first paved road was at?

I never said we owned Cedar Point. I said it is 3 hours away(by car--you can also boat to it) and that you see a lot of Michigan license tags there. We all love going there. It's a Summer tradition for a lot of us. I would find it hard to believe that Ohio would want us to stop coming there. King's Island compared to Cedar Point? No offense to people from Ohio, but there is no comparison. They will tell you that themselves, if they have been to both of them, especially if you love roller coasters.

Like I said before, the "People Mover" is used for parking purposes. Not to get from one town to another. I will admit, I don't know anything about the Lynx, but it looks good. Wouldn't mind trying it out, if I ever visit.

Have been through Georgia a few times on way to Florida, but never stopped. I went to the Fayetteville, AR, "Blues, Bikes and BBQ Festival" a couple years ago and had a great time. Crowds were big to what they were used to(some of them said that), but I found it kind of a nice change, when you compare it to Detroit's crowds at events downtown. It is usually wall-to-wall people and loud. We are known for that. Atlanta doesn't even come close to cornering the market on that one. Sorry, we have it beat.

Our "International Freedom Fireworks Display" we have each year with Canada(set them off on barge on Detroit river), used to bring a million spectators. I don't know what it is now. Too many people for me. Not getting any younger.

We also have a motion picture industry building up here(don't forget to click on the link for "Detroit's Ruins." I'm sure you will and throw it in my face. I never said we were perfect.):

Postcard from Detroit - TIME

By the way---"Gran Torino" although based in Detroit, was actually filmed in nearby Highland Park, which is much worse than Detroit. My husband was a cop there for almost 30 years.

You are only looking at a tiny part of Michigan in the Southeast section of the state, not the whole picture.

Every state has its good and bad points and we as natives should be proud of where we are from.

Some of our paved roads here are actually being reverted back to dirt roads here(economic reasons) and many gardens in the city are sprouting up where houses once sat. Maybe they are right that sometimes good things come out of something bad.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:32 PM

222 posts, read 691,235 times
No zoo or aquarium in Charlotte (I don't even like the zoo but one would think that a town the size of Charlotte would at least have one)

You have to drive somewhere else to get the benefits (the beach is such and such hours away, the mountains are such and such hours away, the zoo is in Asheville, NC, the aquarium is in Atlanta)

No law school in Charlotte

No dental school in Charlotte
Most dental offices are not open on Fridays or they close early

The fact that people in NC belittle anyone who doesn't come from NC but are in a major uproar if you say anything to them about NC. And insist that you conform or else. Take a look at how many posts there are on CD about Yankees, explaining how they don't want you here and the like. Last time I check Americans were free to roam America. And then make the argument that the D*** Yankee stated it, news flash not every person who moved to NC came from New York City.

Traffic is bad and the Lynx light rail doesn't service much of Charlotte.
Urban planners react 5-10 years after the fact.

Charlotte is hell for asthmatics and people with allergies. I suffer dearly.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
No zoo or aquarium in Charlotte (I don't even like the zoo but one would think that a town the size of Charlotte would at least have one)

You have to drive somewhere else to get the benefits (the beach is such and such hours away, the mountains are such and such hours away, the zoo is in Asheville, NC, the aquarium is in Atlanta)

No dental school in Charlotte
Most dental offices are not open on Fridays or they close early

The fact that people in NC belittle anyone who doesn't come from NC but are in a major uproar if you say anything to them about NC. And insist that you conform or else. Take a look at how many posts there are on CD about Yankees, explaining how they don't want you here and the like. Last time I check Americans were free to roam America. And then make the argument that the D*** Yankee stated it, news flash not every person who moved to NC came from New York City.

Traffic is bad and the Lynx light rail doesn't service much of Charlotte.
Urban planners react 5-10 years after the fact.

Charlotte is hell for asthmatics and people with allergies. I suffer dearly.
Aren't those all things that are bad about Charlotte? NC has all of them.....and thankfully North Carolina doesn't begin and end with Charlotte.

Oh, and the NC Zoo is not is Asheville...but Asheboro ....only a difference of about 200 miles.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM

25 posts, read 65,838 times
I love NC although I moved back to the Pacific NW because of family.

The best and worst thing about Carolina is the weather; hot and humid, blue skies, sunny and bright most of the time, hurricanes and no snow (well there was that week in the Triangle about ten years ago).

Somewhat odd laws concerning alcohol.

Crime is a lot higher.

Some real ignorance about Catholicism and Catholics that I ran across, which I think is changing as more move down from NY, NJ and CT.

The positive far outweighs the negatives for me, but since that's the gist of the thread...

Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Aren't those all things that are bad about Charlotte? NC has all of them.....and thankfully North Carolina doesn't begin and end with Charlotte.

Oh, and the NC Zoo is not is Asheville...but Asheboro ....only a difference of about 200 miles.

Thanks for the insight and smartness, I don't live in ALL of NC I live in Charlotte and those were the things that affect me in NC. Again proving the point of the tolerance. Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Since my response wasn't NC enough I will respond with the post

Southern hospitality is a myth

If you suffer from asthma or allergies, your stay here may be difficult

Nothing is close, you definitely need a car to travel.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Since my response wasn't NC enough I will respond with the post

Southern hospitality is a myth

If you suffer from asthma or allergies, your stay here may be difficult

Nothing is close, you definitely need a car to travel.
Southern Hospitality is not a myth...it's alive and well and I've been lucky to been subjected to it numerous times. Maybe it's you and not Southerners.

Yes, allergies can be bad for some....but then any time one moves from one area that they are used to another, allergies can be an issue. It's not as though pollen stops at the NC border.

And as for driving...ah.....isn't that most of the US?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 65,838 times
Quote:
Does the state need yet another law school? There are what, six at last count including Elon's?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Moderator cut: Stick to the topic or this thread will be closed. It is filled with hatred and name calling. I have done a bit of cleaning up and taken care of a few problem children so it should remain civil. Debate is healthy, but insults, name calling, etc. will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina