U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 11,460,553 times
Reputation: 2027
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
I don't think people are being intentionally negative, and it's prefectly legitimate and helpful to tell folks you tried something, it didn't work out, and here's why. I am not a native New Yorker, and moved here a couple of years ago with the best of intentions. For every one of me there are probably 50 other folks who absolutely love Manhattan and all it entails. Because it's not my cup of tea is not an indictment on Manhattan as a whole.

I also think there's a subtle nuance between doing something quickly, and rushing to judgement. You could spend 10 years planning a move to NC (or anywhere for that matter) but if you don't consider what would happen if things don't work out, and what you will do in that case, you are rushing into it. By the same token, you could look and buy in the course of one weekend with a fully developed "contingency plan" and be just as happy or unhappy.

I think the key is to look beyond all the magazine and city-data hype, and make sure you go in with an understanding of the negatives and thoughts as to what you will do in the "worst case scenario."



absolutlely, you just need to be our spokes person!!!! maybe then things will not get taken the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
 
72 posts, read 158,917 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
absolutlely, you just need to be our spokes person!!!! maybe then things will not get taken the wrong way.
LOL! One of my mentors has a theory of "80% and go." This means if you can do 80% of the necessary research, work or due dilligence on a decision or task, then make the yea or nay decision or move on to the next thing. If you always shoot for 100% you'll end up forever on the fence while the world passes you by, and if you don't at least get to 80% you're leaving too much to chance.

The people that moved and didn't like it should be applauded for at least taking the risk and being good enough to relay their stories of success or failure. Those that moved down after doing 5% of the work and hating it shortly thereafter should be chided just as much as those that are at 99% and still sitting on the fence rather than moving or giving up on the idea and trying to enhance their current situation.

The only thing that turns me off is that attitude that "I moved here and things were perfect, now YOU PEOPLE are coming down and ruining everything." Fortunately that seems limited to a small number of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 11,460,553 times
Reputation: 2027
Let me tell you I researched for months and months, and It turned out badly, but I look at it like just another adventure and lesson learned, I did run into a few yankee haters, I guess being from Oregon I still qualify?? I got yelled at once for saying POP instead of soda, whoops!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 24,110 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Let me tell you I researched for months and months, and It turned out badly, but I look at it like just another adventure and lesson learned, I did run into a few yankee haters, I guess being from Oregon I still qualify?? I got yelled at once for saying POP instead of soda, whoops!!!
I say soda and will never say Pop ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 11,460,553 times
Reputation: 2027
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I say soda and will never say Pop ever
See isnt it crazy how different the US is? in oregon you dont say soda, it is like what? huh? you say pop, it is called soda pop so I would think you could use either, guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 24,110 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
See isnt it crazy how different the US is? in oregon you dont say soda, it is like what? huh? you say pop, it is called soda pop so I would think you could use either, guess not.
They say Pop in Az I have never conformed to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
 
164 posts, read 219,499 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
LOL! One of my mentors has a theory of "80% and go." This means if you can do 80% of the necessary research, work or due dilligence on a decision or task, then make the yea or nay decision or move on to the next thing. If you always shoot for 100% you'll end up forever on the fence while the world passes you by, and if you don't at least get to 80% you're leaving too much to chance.

The people that moved and didn't like it should be applauded for at least taking the risk and being good enough to relay their stories of success or failure. Those that moved down after doing 5% of the work and hating it shortly thereafter should be chided just as much as those that are at 99% and still sitting on the fence rather than moving or giving up on the idea and trying to enhance their current situation.

The only thing that turns me off is that attitude that "I moved here and things were perfect, now YOU PEOPLE are coming down and ruining everything." Fortunately that seems limited to a small number of folks.
What a great post! I too applaud those who relay stories of success or failure, especially those who admit a mistake. This post struck a chord with me because I tend to over-research things. It's the way my family does things and I'm learning that this "analysis paralysis" doesn't leave much room for taking a chance. It also leads to a ridiculous level of fear of making a mistake. But it's hard to articulate this here, when so many people are warning about making a move without adequate research (and rightfully so, in some instances).

I think 80% certainty, based upon research, is a fair goal and I like that rule of thumb. Thanks for sharing it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 11,460,553 times
Reputation: 2027
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
They say Pop in Az I have never conformed to that.
Ok what wrong with pop? I should fit right in here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM
 
668 posts, read 1,887,440 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Don't you live in Arizona now? There's nothing about NC on the news here. I haven't met or heard about anyone even thinking about moving here until I found this forum. All they do is hype AZ and Vegas here. I'm telling you If I had heard good things about NC sooner I may have moved. The only thimg I ever heard about it was from my brother in-law and I don't pay attention to him.

Let me tell you I can clue you in on some negatives in Az, but I won't because I like it and you may like it too. It all depends on what you are looking for.
The news on NC must be an east coast thing because I never heard about NC in CA either. It was just about Vegas and AZ. I have also personally known people who went to Oregon, WA and Idaho from CA, but never NC. When I would tell people we were thinking about NC they thought we were CRAZY. To be honest, NC doesn't seem to have the best reputation in CA. People would say it is so humid, full of bugs, bible belt, it is the south, and you are going to hate it, blah, blah. I never received one comment supporting the decision. And we did not find NC from a magazine either. We looked at a map to find a state that had beaches, mountains, jobs and affordable housing. We looked up my husband's profession and saw that there was a large demand for it at almost the same pay in CA and we went for it. I have noticed NC seems to be hot on this message board, but in real life where I now live no one acts like this is such the happening area being invaded. Maybe it is because I am in the middle of Raleigh and Charlotte in Winston-Salem and it isn't as popular with the transplants? To address "I'MINFORMED" comments about why NC in particular it is because once you have located a place you think sounds good, you have to focus your efforts. You can't search for a house or job nationwide! To also address I'MINFORMED's comments about being forced out of one's hometown, it is real. It is happening to some people who aren't from upstate NY or NC where the cost of living is within reason. If he can afford 1.2 million dollar homes, I want to be doing what he is doing for a living and I would have stayed back home!!! Another thing, I think it is good to have devil advocates on this forum stating the bad to keep things in perspective. I think what becomes annoying is how it is sometimes written, with a condescending tone like people are fools and sheep. Some of us honestly found NC by chance and now that we are here, have no desire to change the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 24,110 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
The news on NC must be an east coast thing because I never heard about NC in CA either. It was just about Vegas and AZ. I have also personally known people who went to Oregon, WA and Idaho from CA, but never NC. When I would tell people we were thinking about NC they thought we were CRAZY. To be honest, NC doesn't seem to have the best reputation in CA. People would say it is so humid, full of bugs, bible belt, it is the south, and you are going to hate it, blah, blah. I never received one comment supporting the decision. And we did not find NC from a magazine either. We looked at a map to find a state that had beaches, mountains, jobs and affordable housing. We looked up my husband's profession and saw that there was a large demand for it at almost the same pay in CA and we went for it. I have noticed NC seems to be hot on this message board, but in real life where I now live no one acts like this is such the happening area being invaded. Maybe it is because I am in the middle of Raleigh and Charlotte in Winston-Salem and it isn't as popular with the transplants? To address "I'MINFORMED" comments about why NC in particular it is because once you have located a place you think sounds good, you have to focus your efforts. You can't search for a house or job nationwide! To also address I'MINFORMED's comments about being forced out of one's hometown, it is real. It is happening to some people who aren't from upstate NY or NC where the cost of living is within reason. If he can afford 1.2 million dollar homes, I want to be doing what he is doing for a living and I would have stayed back home!!! Another thing, I think it is good to have devil advocates on this forum stating the bad to keep things in perspective. I think what becomes annoying is how it is sometimes written, with a condescending tone like people are fools and sheep. Some of us honestly found NC by chance and now that we are here, have no desire to change the south.

That's funny and so true. When I starting mentioning to people here about moving to NC, they would look at me like I had two heads or something. Almost repulsive, like I lost my mind or something. It certainly hasn't caught fire here yet. It's maybe a hot thing in NY or Jersey, Fla. but here people look at you like you are a nut job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top