U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 12,226,034 times
Reputation: 2031

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I love your post! Especially the last sentence. Not only funny but a sensitive guy. I'm kind of summarizing from catching up on the thread here: I think the problem is that people have different ideas of what being "helpful" is. I would never tell someone "move here, you won't have any problem finding a job and you will love it" because I'd feel responsible if they didn't. How the heck do I know that they will love it or they won't have any problem finding a job? I've also learning that people don't want to hear anything that they consider "negative." ( And my rep points got hit too, Nea1. I'm not even going to read the comments which I'm sure are just as *lovely* as some prior ones.) If what people want to hear is pie-in-the sky there are plenty of posters who will provide that. I've lived in a lot of different places and North Carolina is a nice state but it isn't the be-all and end-all.

I reckon some people are just going to have to learn that out the hard way.

Regards,

Cassie


Some people have a great verbal ability in those comment section of the reps huh? betch your glad those people are moving there huh? NOT!! LOL
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest NC
1,611 posts, read 3,282,590 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I love your post! Especially the last sentence. Not only funny but a sensitive guy. I'm kind of summarizing from catching up on the thread here: I think the problem is that people have different ideas of what being "helpful" is. I would never tell someone "move here, you won't have any problem finding a job and you will love it" because I'd feel responsible if they didn't. How the heck do I know that they will love it or they won't have any problem finding a job? I've also learning that people don't want to hear anything that they consider "negative." ( And my rep points got hit too, Nea1. I'm not even going to read the comments which I'm sure are just as *lovely* as some prior ones.) If what people want to hear is pie-in-the sky there are plenty of posters who will provide that. I've lived in a lot of different places and North Carolina is a nice state but it isn't the be-all and end-all.

I reckon some people are just going to have to learn that the hard way.

Regards,

Cassie

I got a red dot for advising someone to avoid their fact-finding drive around here in the pouring rain. I recounted my awful driving experience of that day & said the person should put off their trip till the stormy weather was forcast to end.
The reason I did this is b/c the rainstorms here are way different than they are up north, they come on much faster, the rain comes down in sheets, it is blinding & frightening for a newbie. In NY, CT, MA, etc, usually you get drizzle, followed by rain, then the 2 will alternate, it is rare to get the severe storms that I have seen here.
So, in response to that post someone gave me the red dot & wrote "Rude *******"!!!!
Boy was I steamed! Also shouldn't that have been "B*tch" Not B*stard?
I didn't mean, "Don't come here" I meant, "Come here when it is safe to do so & you will be aboe to actually see something"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 12,226,034 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I got a red dot for advising someone to avoid their fact-finding drive around here in the pouring rain. I recounted my awful driving experience of that day & said the person should put off their trip till the stormy weather was forcast to end.
The reason I did this is b/c the rainstorms here are way different than they are up north, they come on much faster, the rain comes down in sheets, it is blinding & frightening for a newbie. In NY, CT, MA, etc, usually you get drizzle, followed by rain, then the 2 will alternate, it is rare to get the severe storms that I have seen here.
So, in response to that post someone gave me the red dot & wrote "Rude *******"!!!!
Boy was I steamed! Also shouldn't that have been "B*tch" Not B*stard?
I didn't mean, "Don't come here" I meant, "Come here when it is safe to do so & you will be aboe to actually see something"


Scary thought those people are moving there huh? I once got a red dot and the comment that I was a troll because I said it was hot and humid and they should come then to see if they could handle it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,146,778 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Scary thought those people are moving there huh? I once got a red dot and the comment that I was a troll because I said it was hot and humid and they should come then to see if they could handle it.

You know what? I really don't think it's the new posters. No offense intended, but many of them don't know the correct forum to post in, don't read the forum rules, and don't know the first thing about rep points.

I think the whole rep system is stupid. I've been participating on the www. on various boards or lists for about 9 years and this is the only forum I've ever encountered that even has such a thing. Like I'm gonna pay more attention to someone who has more green dots below their member name than someone else. If someone has something to say that I think is worthwhile, I'll listen to it. I don't care if they have a minus rep.

All the rep system does, as far as I'm concerned, is hinder people from answering questions honestly.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-11-2006 at 05:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest NC
1,611 posts, read 3,282,590 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
...All the rep system does, as far as I'm concerned, is hinder people from answering questions honestly.

Regards,

Cassie

I'm afraid you are correct!

I think the most important part of this board is the honesty, warts & all. Any relocation magazine from the supermarket can tell me how perfect everything is.
And I do think we all have a lot to offer, and offer it with a good intent, it takes a real creep to dedicate lots of time to just sniping at strangers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
 
668 posts, read 2,000,221 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I'm afraid you are correct!

I think the most important part of this board is the honesty, warts & all. Any relocation magazine from the supermarket can tell me how perfect everything is.
And I do think we all have a lot to offer, and offer it with a good intent, it takes a real creep to dedicate lots of time to just sniping at strangers.
I agree. No offense to realtors, but of course they are going to tell you that you will love it in NC to sell you a house. Same with the loan officers. They were the only two I had contact with about NC before I moved here which is actually the reason I found this forum! I started reading what people had to say and then would discuss the comments with my husband. We knew some comments were subjective while other's objective, but I really did feel I got a good sense of NC from these posts before we made our scouting trip out here. We obviously weren't going to base our decision from comments on a message board, but it did help us know what to expect - the good, the bad and the ugly. It sure was news to us that we weren't the only people with this great, original idea to move to NC!!! We are starting to realize we are kind of generic Americans no matter how bad we try to fight it! Is that what happens to you when you get married and have babies???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
 
60 posts, read 78,916 times
Reputation: 47
well this took off today!!! I say that lizann was definitly wrong that the door should close after she has gotten here. Thats hypocritical . To all who has said how NC is promoted on cnn ,forbes, money etc. I didnt read it .Im a trucker just passed through . But I will tell you it is amazing how people just think that. In the start of this thread when I explained the similaritys of overcrowded schools ,all available land built on .. come on .. next time the weather guy is on look how many longIslands that can fit in NC... also we never viewed the growth as invaders or resented them . I was always intrigued with people from diferent places. so I understand growth will work it self out and will take many years.As a trucker who works for a company that pays the same no matter what state their in ... and since life comes around once why not give something else a try . What would be the worst . I sell the new house for a profit too... because you know someone else is coming and go back to NY and say at least I tried to do better for the wife and kids... and myself . Ill still have my job here (same co.). I get a part time job and live the way the last 5 years have been .. opinions and help to avoid mistakes are valued negativity is not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 265,484 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
well this took off today!!! I say that lizann was definitly wrong that the door should close after she has gotten here. Thats hypocritical . To all who has said how NC is promoted on cnn ,forbes, money etc. I didnt read it .Im a trucker just passed through . But I will tell you it is amazing how people just think that. In the start of this thread when I explained the similaritys of overcrowded schools ,all available land built on .. come on .. next time the weather guy is on look how many longIslands that can fit in NC... also we never viewed the growth as invaders or resented them . I was always intrigued with people from diferent places. so I understand growth will work it self out and will take many years.As a trucker who works for a company that pays the same no matter what state their in ... and since life comes around once why not give something else a try . What would be the worst . I sell the new house for a profit too... because you know someone else is coming and go back to NY and say at least I tried to do better for the wife and kids... and myself . Ill still have my job here (same co.). I get a part time job and live the way the last 5 years have been .. opinions and help to avoid mistakes are valued negativity is not.

Well said Inbetween, we all want to do the best for our families. We are responsible for our kids and some of us our parents too. I think we all know how to figure out what's best for us. I think some on here just have another agenda but whatever. We are the ones who have to pay the bills and send our kids to college. Others on here can't make that call. If we make a mistake we are responsible for correcting it. I don't care how many people post negative comments on here all are welcome the good and the bad. Every state has pros and cons. It's fine to fill us in on the negatives but to talk down to us is another story. If I hear the comment about following the crowd and the Money Magazine thing again, I'm going to scream. I'll say it again I never heard a thing about North Carolina being anywhere anyone would want to move. I think these folks should get over this. I keep hearing about Vegas,Scottsdale and Gilbert. People out west laugh at your when they say NC. I can't speak for the east coast states, but don't lump me in with that follow the crowd mentality. My crowd is heading to Co,Tx,NM,UT and I'm not following them.

Good post inbetween, very heartfelt. I wish you the best for you and your family
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
 
668 posts, read 2,000,221 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
People out west laugh at your when they say NC. I can't speak for the east coast states, but don't lump me in with that follow the crowd mentality. My crowd is heading to Co,Tx,NM,UT and I'm not following them.
Good point! We are actually the renegades from the west. Once the initial laughter subsides, my CA friends would then try to be nice by saying something like, "well, I admire your guts for moving across the country." One problem with Californians is even if you tell them you are moving to the another western state, you will still hear stuff like, "how are you going to deal with all that rain?" - WA, OR or "how you are going to deal with the cold and snow?" - CO, ID and "How are you going to deal with the heat?" - AZ, NV.....You just can't win if you tell people you want to leave CA!! They are so wrapped up in their perfect weather. Of course those comments mainly came from already existing homeowners. My fellow renters got it, although they never did fully understand NC....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Reputation: 38293
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Good point! We are actually the renegades from the west. Once the initial laughter subsides, my CA friends would then try to be nice by saying something like, "well, I admire your guts for moving across the country." One problem with Californians is even if you tell them you are moving to the another western state, you will still hear stuff like, "how are you going to deal with all that rain?" - WA, OR or "how you are going to deal with the cold and snow?" - CO, ID and "How are you going to deal with the heat?" - AZ, NV.....You just can't win if you tell people you want to leave CA!! They are so wrapped up in their perfect weather. Of course those comments mainly came from already existing homeowners. My fellow renters got it, although they never did fully understand NC....
Isn't it funny, the rest of the country thinks Californians are the crazy ones! Why would people continue to live in such a ridiculously overpriced real estate market anyway? There is beautiful weather all over this country, you don't have to be in California to find it (Today in Charlotte the sky is deep blue, there is a lovely breeze blowing the golden leaves all around my yard and the temp is a perfect 72!)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top