U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well, I think it's good to have those with sobering opinions chime in (really I do), along with the optimistic happy day crowd, it provides for a good balance. My post was tounge-in-cheek to some extent, but I was serious.
Cassie's "look before you leap" is very good advice. When I started my biz in 2000 I received a LOT of advice,much of it was stay put. I was called crazy, stupid, selfish for wanting to leave a high paying , very secure IBM engineering job, with ultra benefits (I may have paid $80/month as my share of full family coverage, and all the free muffins and coffee one could consume). I happened to be in one of those engineering positions that was not going away anytime soon. I left literally 1 month before the whole tech stock market bottomed out, and engineering outsourcing overseas was peaking in popularity. Budgets tightened up and no one really wanted to spend money. To even make matters worse I had a baby on the way.
Explaining over and over again that my wife was fully onboard and supportive, we had financial reserves for at least 9 months, including rental income which covered our mortgage, and I had a biz plan with existing customers, and that I spent 3 solid years prior to that dealing with my fear of not being in corporate with finally coming to gripes with it- I still received a lot of "stay put" advice, and was reminded over and over again why 90% of small biz fail (which is a very true statement btw). However I know that if I didn't give something I wanted for so long a try, I would regret it- to me, regret is one of the worst feelings in the world. Failing is not bad, not stepping up to the plate is even worse than striking out (however step up the plate prepared to swing because the goal is to strike you out). Was it all roses? No. Did my plan unfold exactly as I expected, absolutely not. Were there lean times, most definitely. Do I have 20/20 hind site and wish I did somethings differently- many things I wish I did differently. Do I regret it? No way. I did what I felt was right. I always felt I could always flip burgers or work as UPS slinging boxes. Anyway I won't belabor the point anymore, the point is you'll get critized, extract the practical points, but don't discount what you feel motivated to do, and don't kill the many options we all have before us. .

I appreciate the compliment Mike and I always admire "beat the odds" accounts. They are heartening and inspiring. Yours is especially so given the rate of new businesses that fail within four years. However, you had 9 months worth of financial reserves plus a rental property that paid the mortgage on your home. I'm assuming you also still had some form of health insurance - given the fact that you had a new baby on the way?

So again, you were in a different position than many who are moving to N.C. and IMO, are being given seriously bad advice that CANNOT be backed up, much less guaranteed by many who are giving it.

Best regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-10-2006 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM

10,010 posts, read 11,509,765 times
Yea our business failed within a year, for reasons out of our control and we had to move on, it just scares me people will put blinders on sometimes and not consider the possibility it wont work, I wish we had.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM

[quote=Liz Ann;120604]Posted by Miker2069 on June 4th, 2006:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Well I am moving from Boston,MA- but seems to be a common theme in the NE. Just want to get out of the terrible weather, rude people, and high cost of living. Being from South Florida, I'm am looking forward to moving down to the "new south". We are moving to Waxhaw, NC at the end of the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post

It doesn't take long to be a relocation expert. Everyone knows it all, did it all, bought the N.C. T-shirt. The summer is over and I hope that Miker2069 continues to thrive where so many others were greeted by the culture shock and the cost of living shock. I love the term "new south". Whose new south? Talk to us in a few years on your way back to the "old north".

No, it doesn't take long at all. In checking the new City Data forum moderaters, it seems that ALL of them ( that I've checked) are people who are promoting their areas, even if they haven't lived there very long. I can understand the pay-off in that for City-Data. Sure isn't in the best interest of all newcomers or lookers to a state or area though.

P.S. Watch this post "disappear."

Regards,

Cassie

Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,217 posts, read 4,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I appreciate the compliment Mike and I always admire "beat the odds" accounts. They are heartening and inspiring. Yours is especially so given the rate of new businesses that fail within four years. However, you had 9 months worth of financial reserves plus a rental property that paid the mortgage on your home. I'm assuming you also still had some form of health insurance - given the fact that you had a new baby on the way?

So again, you were in a different position than many who are moving to N.C. and IMO, are being given seriously bad advice that CANNOT be backed up, much less guaranteed by many who are giving it.

Best regards,

Cassie
Well honestly, that was my mistake (the health insurance). I thought Cobra allowed you to keep paying your employee portion of the health plan (i.e., I paid $80/mo for full bluecross/blueshield). I didn't understand it simply meant you got to stay on the employer's plan but you pay the whole thing (that was sticker shock). One of many miscalculations I made. However as a good friend of mine said (who runs software biz, and admire his candor for being honest about his mistakes), I'm fortunate to having made as many mistakes and still be successful

Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Posted by Miker2069 on June 4th, 2006:

It doesn't take long to be a relocation expert. Everyone knows it all, did it all, bought the N.C. T-shirt. The summer is over and I hope that Miker2069 continues to thrive where so many others were greeted by the culture shock and the cost of living shock. I love the term "new south". Whose new south? Talk to us in a few years on your way back to the "old north".
Hmmm... the term "New South" refers to the diminished culture of segregation and jim crowism that was predominant in the south, i.e., the segregationist party of Bull Connor and many others that are no longer with us. It refers to a "new day", the evaluation based on ability and effort, and not skin color. The term primarily used by African Americans who fled the south for the north and midwest over the last 40 years, and are returning to generational homes such as Georgia, the Carolinas, and Alabama, etc.

Oh, and as soon as I find a "I love NC" T-Shirt, I will buy several of them. May be I'll wear them all at the same time

Old 10-10-2006, 06:01 PM

[quote=Cassie;120669]
Quote:
Posted by Miker2069 on June 4th, 2006:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Well I am moving from Boston,MA- but seems to be a common theme in the NE. Just want to get out of the terrible weather, rude people, and high cost of living. Being from South Florida, I'm am looking forward to moving down to the "new south". We are moving to Waxhaw, NC at the end of the summer.

No, it doesn't take long at all. In checking the new City Data forum moderaters, it seems that ALL of them ( that I've checked) are people who are promoting their areas, even if they haven't lived there very long. I can understand the pay-off in that for City-Data. Sure isn't in the best interest of all newcomers or lookers to a state or area though.

P.S. Watch this post "disappear."

Regards,

Cassie

Well the analysis is certainly interesting . But you're wrong, they aren't chosen that way.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 PM

[quote=Miker2069;120699]
Quote:

Well the analysis is certainly interesting . But you're wrong, they aren't chosen that way.
Didn't say there was no other other criteria involved. Have yet to see one who wasn't promoting a state or area though, regardless of time lived there, so I'm sticking to my opinion that it's an important part of the criteria. It only makes sense that there's a pay-off in that for City Data. Otherwise these forums would cease to exist. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Mike. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 10-10-2006, 06:17 PM

[quote=Cassie;120715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

Didn't say there was no other other criteria involved. Have yet to see one who wasn't promoting a state or area though, regardless of time lived there, so I'm sticking to my opinion that it's an important part of the criteria. It only makes sense that there's a pay-off in that for City Data. Otherwise these forums would cease to exist. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Mike. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Regards,

Cassie
I agree, I hope there's a pay off for the owners of city-data considering they are paying for the server, internet bandwidth, and general software maintainence. All we have to do is come in here, share our opinions

Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 PM

60 posts, read 73,862 times
Whould have been posting along with all of you but worked a double and then late again today. We have been researching the move for over 6 months and its a big decision we made. Thanks to all who have been positive and understand the plan. I just want to say that I followed a link to this site last week. my wife and I have been reading the threads intently on the NY and NC forum. So some of the names I am familiar with. It seems the ones that have had trouble in NC have financial trouble . Thought they would solve there problems with afordable priced homes in NC compared to where they were from. I have just been fortunate that years ago when I couldnt aford a house here , we went through with it and now ten years later I can benefit from a major increase invalue. So now if my financial burden is half of what it is here ,and I can work for my employer there and just have that job instead of having 2 jobs . I just might have time to coach the team , see the game , take a bike ride with the family, walk the dog ,race my racecar , etc.... ...
now on a personal level. iminformed dosent sound like he was happy here in LI and dont think he could be happy anywhere. If you moved for a job I hope you would be getting NY pay or more .. so whats the problem not enough irocs ... to many pickups .. well im a pickup man...
lizann Ms. Rhode Island I guess you didnt want to pay high heating oil prices either. You also said you were a broker in one of your posts on another thread . Why are you so negitive on people . If the last 4 years have been bad for you make a change .
Im sorry it hasent been everything you thought it would be for the both of you and your not the source of my financial observations ,that has come from other threads. you guys are just negitive.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 PM

43,459 posts, read 52,268,651 times
[quote=Miker2069;120719]
Quote:
I agree, I hope there's a pay off for the owners of city-data considering they are paying for the server, internet bandwidth, and general software maintainence. All we have to do is come in here, share our opinions

Hey, sign me up (actually sounds like a good deal!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina