U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM

293 posts, read 866,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to be rude, truly, but that does sound like a personal problem if you get my drift? In other words, I understand you have had a bad experience in your move here, but for many people that is not THEIR experience. So why try to rain on their parade? Give all the good advice you can on things that are actually helpful - tell people what neighborhoods to avoid or which restaurants weren't worth the price. But leave the insulting condescending tone out of it that reeks of your real meaning, which as I read it is "you people are soooo stupid and niave for even wanting to come to NC".
THANK YOU!!! Very well said. My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,023,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Don't you live in Arizona now? There's nothing about NC on the news here. I haven't met or heard about anyone even thinking about moving here until I found this forum. All they do is hype AZ and Vegas here. I'm telling you If I had heard good things about NC sooner I may have moved. The only thimg I ever heard about it was from my brother in-law and I don't pay attention to him.

Let me tell you I can clue you in on some negatives in Az, but I won't because I like it and you may like it too. It all depends on what you are looking for.

NC was all over Money Magazine and CNN and msnbc being a great place to live. No one I have seen but maybe two people on the AZ forum claims it to be a great place, I know the negatives of AZ, high crime, no urban areas, pollution, wide spread growth and more, I took those comments and included them in our decision to live here, but on this thread if you say something bad you get jumped on for raining on their parade or being negative when our experiences may be experienced by others that may move there or already have, they are just as valid as the positive ones, which I have had in NC and have stated.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Like I said I can be negative about where I'm coming from, I'm sure you don't want to hear it.
Actually I find the information very useful, I like to hear both sides and dont mind hearing it.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,356,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
having a house built in N.C. and will be leaving LI for the hope of a better life for my family. We have made the trip to Charlotte area 3 times this summer and like the potential we see. I have lived on LI my entire life (eastern part) and remember when this place was up and coming. I remember when the school districts here had portables or annex's .They now have been renovated, or additions have been put on . I remember when I lived in the stix or the boon's . Now that It has been built up and almost all available land is built on but the protected pine barrons. As a drag racer I remember when we had a few drag strips . Now we have none. Have to make a 3 hour tow to get to the closest one in NJ . I remember when we had a whole bunch of circle tracks . Now we have 1 and its on the endangered list . I remember when we had country radio . Now we dont have one station on the radio , not one I remember when there was a future for young people here . As a trucker I have had gainfull employment through the years , but no one I know only has one job(I have 2) . My wife also works . My concerns are for the future of my kids . I just cant see one here for them . Future job growth here looks minimal and in 15 - 20 years what would a house here cost for them. We our only a product of where our parents raised us. Mine chose LI . I am choosing to leave with the intent of having more quality time for them and hopfully they will have a better life in there school years and after school years . I know some of the Charlotte schools are over crowded and there is a commute with traffic , But I still feel there will be a better life for us.
So, you love racing and country music?? WELCOME TO NORTH CAROLINA!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I never said people were stupid for wanting to live their and yes it was a personal issue, not with me but with them, I didnt judge them or ask them to change, and many many people that I met was having the same issues, I dont think people are stupid for wanting to live there if it is for valid reasons, but telling me that my reasons arent valid is wrong. I am not raining on their parade they dont listen anyway, and I have told people of areas to avoid and places to go or not to go, it is when people like you that jump on someone for stating something they went through telling them it wasnt a real experience or not valid and then reading things into it that are not there, where we have problems.

No one has said your reasons for not liking it here aren't valid. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, after all you lived it. I for one am very sorry things didn't work out like you expected and wish you well in the future I was merely trying to get this conversation back in focus by stating that the purpose of this forum is to impart good information and facts. There should be no place for those with negative thoughts or experiences to ridicule or make fun of the people who think they want to come here - which has been happening (not necessarily by you ) just because they have had bad experiences. Cautioning people about the reality of things is GREAT, but some have gone beyond that and suggested newcomers all have their heads in the sand or something.

I honestly respect the fact that you are unhappy and I hope that changes soon

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,766,834 times
Quote:
Not to be rude, truly, but that does sound like a personal problem if you get my drift? In other words, I understand you have had a bad experience in your move here, but for many people that is not THEIR experience. So why try to rain on their parade? Give all the good advice you can on things that are actually helpful - tell people what neighborhoods to avoid or which restaurants weren't worth the price. But leave the insulting condescending tone out of it that reeks of your real meaning, which as I read it is "you people are soooo stupid and niave for even wanting to come to NC".
I made a statement back in June as was pointed out. I said I wanted to get away from rude people, snow through mothers day, Taxachusetts (i.e., the Big Dig), etc. It was a "vent" statement, and I was negative on Boston for a while. I started with a similar tone on the MA forum with people who wanted to move to Boston. Why would you want to come here? High cost of living, bad weather, etc. It was very unfair for me to superimpose my experience and feelings about Boston to someone looking for information on schools, towns, etc. There are people that love snow and the cold. I didn't bury the truth either but I also told them about the great things (fall foilage, the seafood, the south end, first night, etc.), but also mentioned that housing is one of the steepest in the country, and good luck with your decision/transistion.

Anyway, it's a circular arguement that's been happening long before most of us got to this forum- which is one of the reasons why most of us come back in. If anything it's "interesting".

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,903,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
They see that heritage coming closer and closer to an end with people cashing out of high dollar real estate markets to come into their little towns and take over, wanting to change things.

Once again, taking comments about the small town southern culture personally. These are not my opinions, these are facts about what locals see in their small towns. When you get here, you will hear it and read it if you come to a small town. In a large city you will assimilate easier. From day one I chose to bond with my friends and neighbors and share their love of their home. You either understand and, hopefully, study and learn about the southern natives and their culture, or you rebel against it. I did not cash out of a high dollar home sir. You seem to be an intelligent poster, but are you just another party attempting to insult writers on this forum with unfair personal attacks in order to validate yourself? Do you think everyone in the real estate business lives a life of roses and cream and retires on a bed of rose petals? Hardly! No adversity, no loss of income, no loss of a spouse through death, no hardships? Nothing I have was earned, it was all gravy; in spite of being a single mother and putting 4 children through college? After a long difficult road of pleasing everyone else, it is time for me sir. Here is a phrase you may have heard before and may have forgotten: Be Careful What You Wish For.

I will respectfully bow out of this and every other forum I've ever posted on this website due to the minority of posters who exercise -- Lack of respect for the rights of others to express opinions and exchange ideas. I'm not young enough or healthy enough anymore to dart in and out of the javelins being thrown across the field. Best wishes to everyone. Buy resale !

That's right Lizann cold hard cash I made in Real Estate, but guess what I bought a resale. My house was built in 1993 and I bought it in 2002. I guess I qualify now. I would buy a resale in NC if it was priced right and I saw one I liked.

BTW I don't want to change anything about NC, I'm not progressive.

Lack of respect You talk to us all like we are morons.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:56 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Congrats on taking the bull by the horns and making such a hard choice for your children's future. It is not easy, especially if there are grandparents being left behind. I hope you find everything you are looking for, and then some

For whoever called this "another pollyanna post" I will just say this...some people see the glass as half full, some will always see it half empty. Attitude can be everything.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
No one has said your reasons for not liking it here aren't valid. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, after all you lived it. I for one am very sorry things didn't work out like you expected and wish you well in the future I was merely trying to get this conversation back in focus by stating that the purpose of this forum is to impart good information and facts. There should be no place for those with negative thoughts or experiences to ridicule or make fun of the people who think they want to come here - which has been happening (not necessarily by you ) just because they have had bad experiences. Cautioning people about the reality of things is GREAT, but some have gone beyond that and suggested newcomers all have their heads in the sand or something.

I honestly respect the fact that you are unhappy and I hope that changes soon

I wasnt always unhappy there, all my experiences were not bad as I have stated before, I dont ridicule those wanting to come and they need to know all expereinces good and bad so they are not surprised if it happens to them. My children were the ones that were truly unhappy, we had money issues there and things happened to us but we are adults and can deal with most of it, I dont think all new comers have their head in the sand but As I read some posts it scares me because they basically state that nothing will go wrong and it will be a wonderful experience which I truly hope it will be, but bad things can happen and if someone had informed me maybe things would have been different.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
For whoever called this "another pollyanna post" I will just say this...some people see the glass as half full, some will always see it half empty. Attitude can be everything.
it wasnt me I swear!!!!!!!!!!! whats a pollyanna anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina