U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM

60 posts, read 112,697 times

Advertisements

having a house built in N.C. and will be leaving LI for the hope of a better life for my family. We have made the trip to Charlotte area 3 times this summer and like the potential we see. I have lived on LI my entire life (eastern part) and remember when this place was up and coming. I remember when the school districts here had portables or annex's .They now have been renovated, or additions have been put on . I remember when I lived in the stix or the boon's . Now that It has been built up and almost all available land is built on but the protected pine barrons. As a drag racer I remember when we had a few drag strips . Now we have none. Have to make a 3 hour tow to get to the closest one in NJ . I remember when we had a whole bunch of circle tracks . Now we have 1 and its on the endangered list . I remember when we had country radio . Now we dont have one station on the radio , not one I remember when there was a future for young people here . As a trucker I have had gainfull employment through the years , but no one I know only has one job(I have 2) . My wife also works . My concerns are for the future of my kids . I just cant see one here for them . Future job growth here looks minimal and in 15 - 20 years what would a house here cost for them. We our only a product of where our parents raised us. Mine chose LI . I am choosing to leave with the intent of having more quality time for them and hopfully they will have a better life in there school years and after school years . I know some of the Charlotte schools are over crowded and there is a commute with traffic , But I still feel there will be a better life for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
having a house built in N.C. and will be leaving LI for the hope of a better life for my family. We have made the trip to Charlotte area 3 times this summer and like the potential we see. I have lived on LI my entire life (eastern part) and remember when this place was up and coming. I remember when the school districts here had portables or annex's .They now have been renovated, or additions have been put on . I remember when I lived in the stix or the boon's . Now that It has been built up and almost all available land is built on but the protected pine barrons. As a drag racer I remember when we had a few drag strips . Now we have none. Have to make a 3 hour tow to get to the closest one in NJ . I remember when we had a whole bunch of circle tracks . Now we have 1 and its on the endangered list . I remember when we had country radio . Now we dont have one station on the radio , not one I remember when there was a future for young people here . As a trucker I have had gainfull employment through the years , but no one I know only has one job(I have 2) . My wife also works . My concerns are for the future of my kids . I just cant see one here for them . Future job growth here looks minimal and in 15 - 20 years what would a house here cost for them. We our only a product of where our parents raised us. Mine chose LI . I am choosing to leave with the intent of having more quality time for them and hopfully they will have a better life in there school years and after school years . I know some of the Charlotte schools are over crowded and there is a commute with traffic , But I still feel there will be a better life for us.

Congrats on taking the bull by the horns and making such a hard choice for your children's future. It is not easy, especially if there are grandparents being left behind. I hope you find everything you are looking for, and then some

Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Not to try and burst your bubble or anything..... but what do you think is happening in NC? Exactly what you just described happened in Eastern LI. The sheep on a field analogy proves itself time and again on this thread. If you think you saw a dramatic change in the area you live in over the past 30 years, give yourself 10 years in NC and you'll notice 10 times as much. I've gotta say this is one of the more naive posts I've read on here. Not trying to be mean, but it's the truth. Your kids will be in the same situation in any of the major metro areas of NC in 20 years as you are on LI right now.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,768,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Not to try and burst your bubble or anything..... but what do you think is happening in NC? Exactly what you just described happened in Eastern LI. The sheep on a field analogy proves itself time and again on this thread. If you think you saw a dramatic change in the area you live in over the past 30 years, give yourself 10 years in NC and you'll notice 10 times as much. I've gotta say this is one of the more naive posts I've read on here. Not trying to be mean, but it's the truth. Your kids will be in the same situation in any of the major metro areas of NC in 20 years as you are on LI right now.
I'minformed you have a great point. It does make me wonder though:

I wonder...what "we" would have told the pilgrims who headed out without tremendous research. Stay, and make it work, fix the issues in England and forget about the Americas, the French and Spanish already claimed most of it anyway.

How about the "Manifest Destiny" generation who drove westward? Hey, the [American] natives are taking issue with the expansion. The law is the iron you carry at your side, it's to dangerous. Stay in the eastern states that are developed, paved roads and the issues are known- it's to unrulely out here.

What about the Alaska territory, who the heck would want to live there anyway?

Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM

414 posts, read 1,271,229 times
I feel that NC will be like LI in a few years. But at least you will be able to get a few good years out of it. Then you can pickup and move to the next state. Which will probabaly be Tennessee.

Last edited by TBLTZ; 10-09-2006 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-09-2006, 02:59 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

I wonder...what "we" would have told the pilgrims who headed out without tremendous research. Stay, and make it work, fix the issues in England and forget about the Americas, the French and Spanish already claimed most of it anyway.

How about the "Manifest Destiny" generation who drove westward? Hey, the [American] natives are taking issue with the expansion. The law is the iron you carry at your side, it's to dangerous. Stay in the eastern states that are developed, paved roads and the issues are known- it's to unrulely out here.

I'm SO glad you said this!!! As much as real estate in Charlotte and the Raleigh area has increased in value I don't think there is any way we will ever be as bad as California or New York/New Jersey. There are still MANY years of a good life left in NC, because there is much more to NC than just those two areas. How can some people be so critical of others for simply wanting what the rest of us already have? I say the American Dream is alive and well for anyone willing to do what it takes to find it

Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 PM

293 posts, read 867,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm SO glad you said this!!! As much as real estate in Charlotte and the Raleigh area has increased in value I don't think there is any way we will ever be as bad as California or New York/New Jersey. There are still MANY years of a good life left in NC, because there is much more to NC than just those two areas. How can some people be so critical of others for simply wanting what the rest of us already have? I say the American Dream is alive and well for anyone willing to do what it takes to find it
And I'm so glad you said this!! I agree with you 100%, and I am one of the people willing to do what it takes to try to make a better life for my family. Nobody has a crystal ball to know what NC will be like in 10, 15 or 20 years. People should not criticize others for choices that they are trying to make.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,173,439 times
Default bursting bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
You have a point. But let's face it: the population of the world is growing, people are living well into their 90's and the pharmaceutical industry has made some serious strides in fighting deseases that would have killed people years ago. What would your suggestion be for those people who want to move away to better their lives? North Carolina, South Carolina and Arizona (I'm sure I've missed some others) happen to be some really promising areas right now. I'm sure that will change. But maybe you have a crystal ball and can tell all of us "sheep" where we should go instead?!? I'm sure you'd love for us to stay excatly where we are. (?)

Old 10-09-2006, 05:05 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,408,181 times
We can't come (or go) in great numbers without an excellent job market. Think of it, wouldn't the Virgin Islands & Perto Rico be chock full otherwise?

Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,378,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

Wow, what a great point Miker2069! Take that to a personal level - think about what risks previous generations in our own families took to make better lives for themselves. And without City Data.com, or Money Magazine Best Places lists to tell them where to go.

Just from my DF's side alone there are Irish and Scottish immigrants to Ellis Island, plus English immigrants to MA loooong before there even was an Ellis Island. My Grandmother was born in KY, raised in IN, went to college (in the 20's mind you) in Chicago.

My Grandfather started life in MN, fought in France in WWI at the ripe old age of 17, came home to finish high school then off to college in Chicago where he met my grandmother. After some years in IL, they moved to WI where they happily spent many, many years. My great-grandmother moved from MN to CA in her 70's.

As they say "NO GUTS, NO GLORY," and these ancestors of our had guts. There are no guarantees in life, they had even less in the past than we have now. We can look at data and read about job growth, housing markets, cost of living, taxes, etc. They were going on word of mouth, instinct and prayers.

If you have a feeling in you that you need to make a change, then do the research and make it. Just because you land someplace because of an accident of birth or circumstances doesn't mean that you can't take a chance at a better life somewhere else. The thing that we still have in common with the previous generations is that we are all hoping for a better life for our families and ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina