U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,114,193 times
Default Philly in NC + football

We know people from PA who now live in Cary because of job transfers, or accepting new jobs (and love it BTW). However, I'm not noticing the same numbers of PA to NC posts on this forum as NJ / NY to NC. There is so much here about folks from NJ and NY moving to NC!
Do you North Carolina residents meet many people from PA in NC?

A second question: now that it is football season, we all see people flying their football team's flags, or decorate their cars, or wear their teams jerseys on game day. Since we're in NJ, we see those items proudly displayed for both the Philadelphia Eagles as well as the NY Giants. Occasionally the random football team colors from other states too. When we visit my parents in FL, I notice the different team items displayed on cars or porch flags, from the Chicago Bears, to the NY Giants, to Green Bay Packers, etc.
Do you see diverse football team colors displayed in NC these days? Does it look like the NFL version of the United Nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 AM

867 posts, read 2,494,140 times
1. I do know people from PA, just not as many as from NY or NJ. Mainly they are from the Philly, Levitown area. Thats a generalization though.

2. United Nations of Football. Thats too funny! Great way of puting that. For the most part it's probably 50/50. 50% Panthers and 50% other.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM

325 posts, read 966,412 times
I know a few people from PA, a couple of friends and a couple of co-workers in Raleigh. As for football teams, obviously most of the NC natives (myself included!) root for the Panthers, but there are a few hold outs that still root for the Redskins. I'm still a 'Skins fan too.... as long as they aren't playing the Panthers! Now and then I see a Steelers or Cowboys sticker or license plate ring on a car, but they have fans all across the US.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:14 AM

505 posts, read 1,591,916 times
Oh yeah, we fly our team flags like crazy. You should see the Carolina Hurricane flags around Raleigh! Then on college football days you see the NC state, UNC, Duke, Wake, and ECU flags all over the place.

I hardly ever see Panther flags around Raleigh though. You have to be in the Charlotte area to see much of that.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 PM

2,314 posts, read 114,719 times
My new father-in-law is from Philly. You should have been at the wedding. The dividing line was funny. All I could think of was the civil war. As the night progressed the Philly fans started with the famous chant E-A-G-L-E-S!!!

Being polite southerners we reminded them of the NFC Championship game a few years back and even in nature there is no way a bird can beat a cat!!

I am glad however that the eagles beat the cowboys last weekend.

Note: this was all done in good fun and I for one really appreciate the "Northern" humor!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,791,736 times
I don't know anyone from Pennsylvania, but there probably are some around here.

As for NFL teams. I mostly see Panthers stickers and flags, but there are also a lot of Redskins and some Cowboys stuff. I never notice any other teams represented.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 PM

867 posts, read 2,494,140 times
The Giants and Green Bay have a big following too from what I've noticed.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Don't forget The Cowboys,Redskins,Falcons, and the Saints.....

The only teams that do not have a big following seem to be from the west coast!

Old 10-10-2006, 06:05 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,889,267 times
I would have to say, in the triangle, you are going to see most of the college teams (unc-chapel, otherwise referred to as carolina), nc state (referred to as state) and Duke (referred to in my house as something I cannot post on this board!) and the hurricanes. To be honest with you, although there are some life long residents here who like the canes, we really really really care about our college teams.

I have many friends not from here who just don't get it. This is what I hear most often:'
Oh you are a tarheel fan
Yes, I am
Did you go to school there?
Uh, no
Then why are you a fan?
Well, when you grow up walking on franklin street almost every day of your childhood, you pretty much become a fan

It is a BIG thing around here. The carolina fans hate duke, the duke fans hate everyone, the state fans hate carolina...........it goes round and round.

Leigh

Old 10-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Yes Duke are the bottom of the barrel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina