Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

I just heard on local station news about eliminating mortgage tax deductions but I could find only one article about it .

It was brief if anyone has more on it feel free to share. There is other things in this article about our sales tax could up to 12.5 percent to pay for removal of income tax.
State tax reform efforts snarled by politics but backers persist | Reuters

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-25-2013 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,948 times
Interesting that the Koch brothers' group AFP-NC is pledging a half mil to in effect raise sales tax rates. That goes against Art Pope's people, who've opposed the sales tax hike since Variety Wholesalers stores would see a sharp drop in revenue if it were to pass. And as we've seen McCrory and the rest of the party are largely dependent on Pope's support.

Since Pope is focused entirely on state-level issues, the Kochs would have to be willing to pony up a lot more to counteract Pope's reach.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
NH has no sales or income tax. Top rated schools. Wonder how they do it. "Live free or die".

Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
NH has no sales or income tax. Top rated schools. Wonder how they do it. "Live free or die".

The money has to come from somewhere. Unless you live in an oil-rich state, you're going to pay one way or the other. With all the talk about eliminating or reducing the NC income tax, it seems odd that I hear no one talking about how the revenue will be replaced.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The money has to come from somewhere. Unless you live in an oil-rich state, you're going to pay one way or the other. With all the talk about eliminating or reducing the NC income tax, it seems odd that I hear no one talking about how the revenue will be replaced.
They ARE talking about it - by raising the sales tax rates. Read the article in the OP. (and they N&O has had several articles and oPeD's about the same thing.)

Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM

This is going to send North Carolina real estate market in a tale spin.

Can someone provide the bills or other articles that are more in depth what I mention in the op please.
Thanks

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Here's some additional reading on the topic.

RALEIGH: GOP leaders suggest abolishing N.C. income tax | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

State Sen. Bob Rucho says North Carolina tax system needs an overhaul | CharlotteObserver.com (particularly good inset box information on the right hand side of the article)

A website that promotes this idea: End North Carolina's Income Tax Now! this site includes studies, policy briefs, faq's and a petition.

I do not believe that an actual legislative bill has been written yet.

NOTE: This post should not be construed as my support or non-support of this idea. Like SunnyKayak, I want more information prior to making my decision. In this post, I'm just providing information - which EVERY citizen of NC should read, since this is something that will affect us all.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Maybe NC has a spending problem not a revenue problem...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
JK, thanks for the links. I have not paid a lot of attention to this issue, and what I have seen/heard to this point didn't mention any solid proposals for replacing the revenue other than what "could" happen. On the surface, this seems like yet another Republican attempt to stick it to the less fortunate while the wealthy reap the benefits. In addition, I think changing our revenue model would be extremely costly--you don't just suddenly stop collecting taxes and raise sales taxes without major changes to systems and processes. I really don't buy into the justification for this, nor do I think it would really benefit the state in the long run. McCrory seems to think it will make NC more attractive to investors and businesses, but if those folks have to pay higher sales taxes the attractiveness quickly fades.

And to wheelsup, no doubt our state government (like most all governments) has opportunities for being more efficient and saving money. But you don't effectively attack that problem by simply cutting revenues; there need to be well thought-out plans and approaches for change. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence that this legislature can make that happen.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Here's some additional reading on the topic.

RALEIGH: GOP leaders suggest abolishing N.C. income tax | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

State Sen. Bob Rucho says North Carolina tax system needs an overhaul | CharlotteObserver.com (particularly good inset box information on the right hand side of the article)

A website that promotes this idea: End North Carolina's Income Tax Now! this site includes studies, policy briefs, faq's and a petition.

I do not believe that an actual legislative bill has been written yet.

NOTE: This post should not be construed as my support or non-support of this idea. Like SunnyKayak, I want more information prior to making my decision. In this post, I'm just providing information - which EVERY citizen of NC should read, since this is something that will affect us all.
I still didnt see hardly thing on the discussion on real estate tax and removing mortgage deductions.
That news site mentions stuff on its broadcast but doesn't link to it on their website. urrgh
This definitely effect people I know who refinance thier homes or has investment homes for rentals.

To discuss the service tax some I can see like haircut, pet groomer but can you imagine the tax for seeing the dentist or doctor that will be about 10 dollars on $130 visit at the current rate.

If they do implement this it needs to be done gradually and put the money in a reserve as they slowly remove income tax.
Also it mention increasing the business license tax, that is going to hurt every mom & pop local store in this state.

I dont know this not in legislation good or not as I feel like we as citizens trapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina