Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

I got laid off from my job last week, and am going through the process of registering for unemployment benefits. One of the things that they make you do is register for work on www.NCWorks.gov. The idea, I suppose, is that companies in need of a new employee can come to this site and search for a candidate. In practice though, I can see this being abused. If I'm applying for a job at company X, what are the chances that the HR department for company X searches for my name in this NCWorks.gov database, and now knows that I am desperate and can lowball my salary offer, if it comes to that? Do you think that companies do that? I certainly wouldn't put it past them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:58 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I got laid off from my job last week, and am going through the process of registering for unemployment benefits. One of the things that they make you do is register for work on www.NCWorks.gov. The idea, I suppose, is that companies in need of a new employee can come to this site and search for a candidate. In practice though, I can see this being abused. If I'm applying for a job at company X, what are the chances that the HR department for company X searches for my name in this NCWorks.gov database, and now knows that I am desperate and can lowball my salary offer, if it comes to that? Do you think that companies do that? I certainly wouldn't put it past them.
The scenario you describe is not possible.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The scenario you describe is not possible.
So you're saying that companies can only post jobs on this site, but cannot search for candidates? That would be good to hear. Now, if I was to apply to a posted job using this NCWorks website, then that would certainly make it obvious, but I have no plans to do that.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that companies can only post jobs on this site, but cannot search for candidates? That would be good to hear. Now, if I was to apply to a posted job using this NCWorks website, then that would certainly make it obvious, but I have no plans to do that.
Companies can search for candidates, but not by name.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Companies can search for candidates, but not by name.
I apologize for asking so many questions, but your answers are brief and only tell part of the story.

So as an employer, can I go to this database and search for all candidates that identify themselves with a certain skill set? For example, could I search for all candidates in the Raleigh area that identify themselves as web programmers. It would provide a list that could be sorted alphabetically, which I could then easily determine if an engineer was unemployed or not. I must be missing something which makes this "impossible".

Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I apologize for asking so many questions, but your answers are brief and only tell part of the story.

So as an employer, can I go to this database and search for all candidates that identify themselves with a certain skill set? For example, could I search for all candidates in the Raleigh area that identify themselves as web programmers. It would provide a list that could be sorted alphabetically, which I could then easily determine if an engineer was unemployed or not. I must be missing something which makes this "impossible".
Yes companies can search by "keyword" such as "web programmer" or "database engineer". They can also search by education level, maximum salary desired and other criteria, but once they perform that search, it doesn't produce any names. They can't find out who you are until you contact them.

Your premise of being lowballed because you're unemployed doesn't make any sense anyway. If you are worth $60,000 a year in the marketplace, and they offer you $30,000 and you take it, they know you're going to immediately start looking for a new job. That makes no sense. Lots of people have found new jobs while unemployed (including me) and not been lowballed.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes companies can search by "keyword" such as "web programmer" or "database engineer". They can also search by education level, maximum salary desired and other criteria, but once they perform that search, it doesn't produce any names. They can't find out who you are until you contact them.
Got it. I understand now. Thanks for explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: