Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times

Advertisements

North Carolina Bill Requires Notarized Parental Consent For STD Testing And Treatment

A bill requiring teenagers to present notarized parental consent in order to access STD testing and treatment, mental health counseling, pregnancy care, or substance abuse treatment will now go to the House floor for vote.

I can't even begin to describe how disturbing this is, especially as someone who sought out mental health services as a teenager because of problems at home. This completely destroys doctor-patient confidentiality and could lead to preventable death in a lot of ways if teenagers are unable to get HIV testing or help for depression or drug abuse, either because their parents refuse or they're too scared to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
This is the GOP. All about jobs, right?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
The people in charge in Raleigh are absolutely nuts. It's not just one or two things--seems we get a new nutty proposal from them every day. I hope the sane people of NC get to the ballot box next time around.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
This is the GOP. All about jobs, right?
Smaller, less intrusive government too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The people in charge in Raleigh are absolutely nuts. It's not just one or two things--seems we get a new nutty proposal from them every day. I hope the sane people of NC get to the ballot box next time around.
Considering the number of these guys who ran unopposed last year, the bigger issue is there needs to actually be other candidates. This isn't the Soviet Union, we're supposed to have a choice in who to vote for.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 05-08-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
This is basically an attempt to try to shame teenagers into not having sex. They will never learn...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I'm honestly beginning to wonder how they even come up with these crazy ideas.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I'm honestly beginning to wonder how they even come up with these crazy ideas.
Its a game, of my crazy idea is better. Scary thing there might be truth in it.
Here is the sponsor profile North Carolina General Assembly - Representative Chris Whitmire (Republican, 2013-2014 Session) He is represents Henderson, Polk, Transylvania

I totally understand the above poster about abusive home, and I also understand the above post about it is a form of deterrent of having sex.

Dont crucify me for trying to understand where this Representative is coming from with this bill.
Shouldn't the parent be there to support the teen. Also if results are positive the kid is going to need their parent in seeking emotional & financial help.

Also the other side of coin the teen will be kick out and now has no way to seek treatment.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-08-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
It's just so frustrating to see our legislature fool around like this. Sure, as a mom I hope my kids will discuss this stuff with me, but I realize they might not. There are so many situations where teens might need medical assistance and getting a notarized letter from a parent isn't feasible. Our medical professionals have legal and ethical obligations to patients and we definitely do not need anymore interference from out legislature on these issues. Honestly, "teens" these days are pretty grown up and savvy....regardless of what our Republican legislature thinks

Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The bill did say , only teenagers with medical emergencies would be exempt from the parental consent requirement.

Which is sad medical emergencies far as STD means the teen is really sick. Far as HIV meds scientist are really advancing with its medication and there about or have breaking through with meds that will basically vaccinate the person.

Is it election season yet, Im in mood to do some voting.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Sensational topic title is sensational, but I've come to expect that on this forum.

This bill reaffirms parental rights which is hardly a "crazy idea". Parents should be involved in the medical treatment of their minor children. As for a deterrent to teen sex as some are claiming, how is that a bad thing? Maybe forcing a teen to think about the consequences of their actions should be applauded and not ridiculed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina