Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 17,772 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
-My husband and I are 24 and currently living in Boone, NC (the winter was HORRIBLE and it has pushed us to want sunshine, and no we don't want to stay in Boone)
-We are originally from Virginia
-Just moved from CA (he was in the service)
-We want to be within 7ish hours of southwest VA we are thinking coastal carolinas.. wilmington area maybe? but our main concern is hurricane season, would it even be worth it to move?
If you know of any great places to relocate please leave a suggestion below! We have no idea what/where to go just know that we want to. Our lease ends in about 3 weeks so we don't have a lot of time. We were going to move to kingsport/johnson city TN, but the rental search has been horrid and the area seems to be suffering, more homes for sale than I've seen anywhere.
-We don't want to be in the middle of a city, and would be down for a small beach town or lake town! thanks so much for helping, and any little bit or idea helps! THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I spend time in Emerald Isle NC every summer...it's beautiful and serene, and doesn't allow high rise construction so it's all beach cottages and condos. Emerald Isle, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure how small a beach town you're looking for, but Emerald Isle is worth a look. On the western end of an island called Bogue Banks, it's part of the Southern Outer Banks - also dubbed the "Crystal Coast". Crystal Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Ok...I'll say it....Jobs? What do you do and where will you work?

Coastal NC is a great place to live but jobs are not there for everyone.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Most of the readily-available jobs are in tourism based fields. If you want to wait on tables, tend bar, or clean houses, there would be jobs anywhere on the coast.

I suggest taking a little more than 3 weeks to make your next move to a randomly-chosen town. Think about your career goals and where you want to be in 5 years.

Naturally there are hurricanes. We live on the coast because it is a nice retirement area. There is no way we could have developed our careers in IT on the coast.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Hurricanes aren't a problem....they can happen, but they don't do much damage unless you have a lot of trees, live right on the beach or live in an area that floods.

Here is a good website for the Wilmington area for renting...lots of good houses in here...

Rental Search - Wilmington for Rent

If you are doing service sector work, you can probably find a job this time of year on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina