Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine a club being forced to accept members. That would be total government intrusion.....What? Oh, that is how it is now. Wow! What the.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I can't imagine a club being forced to accept members. That would be total government intrusion.....What? Oh, that is how it is now. Wow! What the.....
You didn't realize that public and government-supported organizations can't discriminate based on race, etc? It IS 2013 and all...

Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The current NC law is in line with the federal law. To allow otherwise is in violation of federal law.
I'm stuck on how something that is constrained by federal law could be in violation of federal law. Are they being sneaky?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm stuck on how something that is constrained by federal law could be in violation of federal law. Are they being sneaky?
If it's constrained by federal law, it's a colossal waste of time to avoid the jobs issue.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Thta's b/c these aren't private clubs, to the extent they are operating in public buildings on public universities that receive public money. They can operate off campus and have functions off campus and then deny whoever they like

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Update: The bill (S719) passed with no objections in the Senate and will now head for hearing in the state House. If passed, the proposed law would prohibit public institutions in the University of North Carolina System and the state’s community colleges from enforcing their non-discrimination policies among student group leadership, effectively allowing anti-LGBT and other types of discrimination in student groups, even if those student groups receive public funding
Quote:
Originally Posted by (someone else)
Unfortunately, as you know, GLBT people are not protected by any Federal (and of course not state) laws, even from firing without cause. Most people are surprised/shocked to hear that--even most gay people aren't fully aware of the laws. This is why ENDA is so important at the federal level.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You didn't realize that public and government-supported organizations can't discriminate based on race, etc? It IS 2013 and all...
How do you know that is the reason the club didn't accept them? How do you know it wasn't because the person was an anti-social jerk?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
OK, I read the bill version 2 and (1) in no way does it say anything about excluding gays, etc from membership in anything and (2) it allows that an organization cannot be penalized if people are only elected into leadership positions who maintain core beliefs of the organization.

to (1) I don't know how this posting derived its message and headline but it was not fact based. It is a shame and they lost creditability with me

to (2) it sounds like it is to address the type of situation that happened at Vanderbilt. I believe the story was an atheist joined a church group (i think baptist student union) and participated with them in activities, i.e. intramural, meetings, altruistic, homecoming, etc. No problem, the more the merrier. The atheist wanted to run for the position of president of the Baptist Student Union and was told he could not run for a leadership position since he did not hold the core beliefs i.e. belief in God as the organization had by doctrine. It became a mess and don't recall how many lawyers were involved, but in the end the Baptist Student Union moved off campus. This bill precludes that. and it sounds reasonable to me.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
How do you know that is the reason the club didn't accept them? How do you know it wasn't because the person was an anti-social jerk?
Huh?

Obviously a club doesn't have to accept an "anti-social jerk". There is nothing protecting that group.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Huh?

Obviously a club doesn't have to accept an "anti-social jerk". There is nothing protecting that group.
So many people believe they are special snowflakes without understanding people might not want to be around them due to their personality, not their minority status. By claiming they were denied due to their minority status, said snowflakes have legal options against the group/club that denied them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina