Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times

Advertisements

It seems Pat and the G.A. are hell-bent on destroying North Carolina's reputation of having one of the best public university systems in the nation.

UNC system could lose campuses :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
As much as I like the UNC School of Arts, could it function as a private school?

Could UNC-G and N.C. A&T synergize more? Same with NCCU, with NCSU or UNCCH?

Elizabeth City State University had a fall 2012 enrollment of 2,878, and UNC-A had 3,751.

I know it seems bad, but we have a fairly large university system.

They maybe should stratify the universities into different missions, like what Georgia does. They have Research Universities, Regional Universities, and State Universities.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
That's just horrible. I'm SURE they could find other ways to save some money — maybe take a hatchet to McCrory and Art Pope's salaries?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
As much as I like the UNC School of Arts, could it function as a private school?
UNCSA is really unique as an arts based public school and it would be a shame to lose that. Especially for Winston-Salem. The cultural value cannot be underestimated.

Quote:
Yes they could collaborate more, but they serve completely different purposes and populations. NC State is a research/engineering school, Central and A&T are HBCUs, etc.

Quote:
Elizabeth City State University had a fall 2012 enrollment of 2,878, and UNC-A had 3,751.
UNCA needs to be small to continue to function as a public liberal arts college. As for ECSU, I didn't know about the size, but if anything it sounds like it needs to be expanded because there are no other 4 year colleges of ANY type in Northeast NC. A private college or one that's further away isn't an option for a lot of families.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

I know it seems bad, but we have a fairly large university system.

They maybe should stratify the universities into different missions, like what Georgia does. They have Research Universities, Regional Universities, and State Universities.
Yes, NC A&T and UNCG should combine and merge under the name of NC A&T SU - old UNCG will coined NC A&T west campus. NCCU should combine and merge with UNC under the name NCCU. The current chapel hill locations will be known as NCCU west campus.

I think these hacks should look for ways to become more efficient, not to eradicate...the university system has been a calling card of this state and one of reasons propelling growth. I think these baffoons ignore these facts and don't have a clue as to why this state is where it is today....cut taxes/gov = growth mantra....it's getting old, much like them.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Fayetteville State and its kissing cousins should have been closed 50 years ago. They are universities only in the imagination of the most determined liberals among us, and have been kept in operation solely for political reasons. Just for starters, look at the SAT scores of the incoming freshman class. The State of NC would be far better off closing these places and redirecting the money to UNC-CH and NCSU.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
It would be a PR nightmare to try to drop an HBCU from the UNC system so I doubt they would even consider a school like NC A&T or Winston-Salem State particularly NC A&T which is the largest HBCU in North Carolina. They would likely drop one or two of the smallest schools in the UNC system or combine a few schools. The UNC School of the Arts could be in danger of being dropped because its one of the smaller schools. Major universities aren't going to be dropped from the UNC system. The North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics in Durham could merge with NC State for example.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
old fogey here, but back in my day 60/70s growing up the 10 or so ? universities in the system were specialized, other than Chapel Hill. Sciences and Engineering = NC State. Teaching = Appalachian. Girl's college = UNC- Greensboro etc and we did quite well setting the scene for the growth etc that followed.

So if this were done wisely then maybe it might not be such a bad thing. Maybe a return to what made it a great thing. But if done badly, then agree not so good.

I do know that when I attended UNC-A, the liberal arts curriculum was very rigorous and intended to prepare BA grads for advanced graduate schools. If you could work your way through a Philosophy 101 problem , you could work your way through software development diagramming snag- which I was required to do on multiple occasions through the years.

Just saying things may sound bad until you see the whole plan laid out. May turn out better than you think.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Well I did fun thing and looked at the breakdown in the Governors proposal for the UNC System. It is on page 311 here.

He is budgeting 81,851,588 for Aid Private Institutions. That is a larger general fund appropriation than for UNC - Asheville (37mil), UNC - Pembroke (53mil), Winston Salem State (69mil), Elizabeth City State (35mil), Fayetteville State (49mil), UNC School of the Arts (31mil), and NC School of Science and Math (19mil).

I would start there Mr. Governor.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
UNCSA is really unique as an arts based public school and it would be a shame to lose that. Especially for Winston-Salem. The cultural value cannot be underestimated.

Yes they could collaborate more, but they serve completely different purposes and populations. NC State is a research/engineering school, Central and A&T are HBCUs, etc.

UNCA needs to be small to continue to function as a public liberal arts college. As for ECSU, I didn't know about the size, but if anything it sounds like it needs to be expanded because there are no other 4 year colleges of ANY type in Northeast NC. A private college or one that's further away isn't an option for a lot of families.
I am not saying closing UNCA, but either making it go private, or semi-private. We appropriate almost $36k per student there. UNC is next at almost $18K. Only 880 students are at UNCA.

And I know some schools have different missions. But guess what? They all need food. They all have data storage. There is A LOT of "back office" duplication that can be merged at these close in proximity schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina