U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM

32 posts, read 43,341 times

Advertisements

Someone from New York said North Carolina is a lot hotter than New York but I don't know if it gets that hot because I live in North Carolina so I'm use to it. I'm wondering what other people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 6,037,185 times
I lived in upstate NY for a time and it rarely got beyond 80 degrees, and the humidity was a bit less oppressive, so yes, I'd say so. Now, the difference between CT and NC, not so much, in my opinion, although really hot days (90 or above) are a rarity.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM

1,120 posts, read 972,688 times
It is humid in NC.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM

17,598 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
Someone from New York said North Carolina is a lot hotter than New York...
And they would be correct.

The lower latitude is the main reason.
Being on this east side of the mountains does the rest.

Why is it hot in summer? | Frugal Science

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM

103 posts, read 83,920 times
I always remind my northern friends that during the summer it's really is just a constant 75 degrees.

That's of course thanks to the near universal presence of AC. In the northern states I find AC less ubiquitous and so it can feel more oppressive.

Beyond that, my experience has been that it gets as hot in places like CT/MA as it does here in NC. However, it just does so less frequently.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM

5,801 posts, read 5,716,289 times
NC is a huge state, 8 to 10 hrs. from east to west if you include the Outer Banks. It is unreasonable for someone to paint the entire state with the same opinion of weather.

Over here in the mountains, we have the best of both worlds. Scenery, weather, elevation makes the difference. Sure, we get a few humid days in August, but nothing compared to the heat waves in the northeast.

The closer you get to the ocean anywhere along the east coast, the more humid it will be. I've been told that Charleston SC is more humid/oppressive in the summer than areas in FL. The western NC mountains, especially Henderson and Buncombe counties were settled by Charlestonians needing escape from the oppressive weather and for health reasons. And summer homes, second homes, are still prevalent here for a reason.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
Someone from New York said North Carolina is a lot hotter than New York but I don't know if it gets that hot because I live in North Carolina so I'm use to it. I'm wondering what other people think.
There isnt really any thinking if you had 5th grade geography it should give you the answer. I apologize if you never looked at a globe before or think the world is flat.

Ill give you answer so that you will understand. The closer you are to the equator it gets warmer. the closer you get to the poles it gets cooler.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM
PDD

5,942 posts, read 6,221,649 times
66 years in NJ where it gets very hot and humid
3 years in NC where it gets very hot and humid but summer lasts longer in NC

My general observation over the last 3 years is that NC is about 10 degrees warmer than NJ.

I would say that there is a wider temperature differential between upper NY state/ New England vs NC.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM

117 posts, read 126,054 times
In general the further south you go the hotter it gets. So technically NC is hotter than NJ. However, there are different climates in NC. Cool along the coast and mountians but much warmer in the center.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,136,679 times
There are all sorts of web sites with weather data.... factual science rather than personal impressions. It's as easy as using Google.

I agree with those who say you can't paint all of NC with one brush stroke. Mountains/Piedmont/Coastal Plain - three distinct regions - all different.... and a lot of mini sub-climates tucked in here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina