Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM

32 posts, read 97,356 times

Advertisements

Please don't get mad, I'm just wondering because my family from California said I do.
Accent tag(American) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,163,306 times
I would say no.

Some words are close, but as a lifelong NCer I wouldn't think you were from the south anywhere.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,349,735 times
I'm also lifelong native and your accent isnot recognizable Carolina dialect to me either.
You have beautiful voice and I am surprise on your other thread on Southern Belle because I wouldn't peg you as southern. It must be from the niceness Im gathering from you verses your accent.

You stated your family Californians is your immediate family all Californians if so you probably sound more like them. I don't know your life history but if you was born in this state, it doesn't automatically mean you will sound like a native dialect of this state if the people who raise you are from some where else.

However you slightly have the mumble that is common of the Piedmont NC'ers. I have it and my late dad was the worst, I always nod agree or say huh? lol

There is different NC dialects that are noticeable in rural areas. Appalachian, Piedmont, Outer Banks, Foothills- my partner his is thick. And Eastern like Scotty McCreery annoying 'I call it brunch' commercial but I have heard thicker of that style too.

You seem to put a lot of focus on how you speak and life is more on what you do, focus your energy on that.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,179,351 times
I would say that no one from california is an authority ON ANYTHING in North Carolina ..They have their own problems without concerning themselves with how people in places thousands of miles away speak.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,349,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I would say that no one from california is an authority ON ANYTHING in North Carolina ..They have their own problems without concerning themselves with how people in places thousands of miles away speak.
How rude and disrespectful to her family and clueless .

Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,702,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,179,351 times
Sorry no offense. I for one have been laughed at by people who have never even been to North Carolina but this case must be different..sorry

Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,736,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
Please don't get mad, I'm just wondering because my family from California said I do.
Extremely neutral. You have an American accent which means that to Americans you sound like you have no accent. Are you born and raised here? I would assume if yes it was either a metropolitan area or around a military base.

It's interesting that Californians would think you have an accent because being neutral is the kind of accent they want in Hollywood most of the time. You should sound pretty much like anyone in L.A.

Try this. Next time someone asks you just say the Pandorica will never the be the same.

Or start your response with a loud stressed Oi! in a British accent.

Oi, watch it, spaceman! - YouTube

And if that fails, sonic them.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

50 posts, read 76,813 times
Your rate of speech is too fast to be pinned as a southern accent. My folks are from South Georgia and I grew up in Jacksonville, FL and spent nearly 20 years in the mtns of Western NC. I now live in Fort Lauderdale and get called out on my accent all the time. I speak slowly and the following distinguishable for WNC:

Light..LITE with a long I, very long
Tight..TITE with a long I, very long...etc
Make one syllable words three syllables long like the name Will becomes Willlll and Tracey becomes TRaaaaacy.

Then there are the country sayings and the colloquialisms I use but the tone is low, friendly, calm and gracious...It is not what you say...it is how you say it that counts down south. But hey what you say counts too !! lol.

Thanks for the charming video and don't those kin folks git cha down kiddo !! Work on slowing down and using good eye contact..better communication with or without the accent can really take you places in this ol world !

Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,527,739 times
You don't have a discernable accent though your soft voice could be mistaken for mumbling or lack of annunciation which, is a tendency for the deep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina