Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times

Advertisements

Lived in Texas for 17 years. I wouldn't say NC and TX are similar.

I remember one summer in Dallas when we had 88 days that hit 100 and above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Texas is a huge state and North Carolina is large, so making general statements about either states' climate will often result in inaccurate depictions of the state's climate. But I will compare Dallas to Greensboro as an example of two cities. Late July is normally the hottest time of year for both places. On July 31, the average high temperature at DFW is 97, the average low is 76. At Greensboro, the average high on that date is 88, the average low is 69. The highest temp ever record at DFW is 113 degrees, the highest at Greensboro is 104 degrees. Essentially all record highs in mid summer at DFW are well into the 100's, whereas Greensboro has many days in the mid summer where the record high is still in the 90's.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
Sorry i don't know if should put in this fourm or the texas one. I live in Charlotte and I want to visit Texas because my grandma(on my dad's side) is originally from there and I asked them about the weather and they said that I should be fine because the weather is similar.
Texas is a large state. The weather is not the same throughout. Look up a given city in weather.com or in the Cities page of City-Data, and you can probably get a climate capsule with monthly highs, lows, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM

I think the current weather is an illustration of the overall difference between NC and TX weather. While summer cold fronts can go through TX in mid summer, they are much rarer than in NC, which typically has cold fronts to go through the state even in mid summer. Consequently, TX overall has longer stretches of uninterrupted high heat, whereas high heat in NC typically lasts a few days, or at the very most, a couple of weeks. There are times when parts of TX has high temperatures at or above 100 for weeks. This year, Greensboro and the Triad have only had six days at or above 90 the entire year, with the longest stretch of heat being four days in the low 90s.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,101 times
Both states have different areas that have different climates. However, in general, Texas will be hotter.

Eastern NC has hotter, more humid summers, but winters that are more mild than central or western NC. Winters in western NC can be somewhat harsh (compared to the rest of the state) depending on the year.

In my experience, Texas seems to have winters similar to eastern NC; pretty mild. Whereas summers in W Texas are hot and dry, summers in E Texas seem to be more humid.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:50 PM

Early September in NC often brings some days with lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s. In fact, some areas of NC have even gotten down into the 40s already. Meanwhile, in Texas highs in the mid 90s and lows In the upper 70s are still prevalent. Whereas September often increasingly offers significant reprieve from heat and humidity in NC, Texans often have to wait for October for it.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
I'm from NC and live in the DFW area now. DFW is much hotter temperature wise, but NC has worse humidity. Houston is heat and humidity, probably the worst I've ever felt.

NC actually has 4 seasons and many parts of Texas do not.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:15 AM

How is Amarillo?

Old 09-13-2021, 12:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
How is Amarillo?

That area of Texas always seems to get the craziest weather. They can have blizzards in the winter and super hot days in the summer. But in general it seems to be around 5 degrees cooler up there than in Dallas. The humidity level there also seems to be always lower.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:49 PM

511 posts, read 510,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think the current weather is an illustration of the overall difference between NC and TX weather. While summer cold fronts can go through TX in mid summer, they are much rarer than in NC, which typically has cold fronts to go through the state even in mid summer. Consequently, TX overall has longer stretches of uninterrupted high heat, whereas high heat in NC typically lasts a few days, or at the very most, a couple of weeks. There are times when parts of TX has high temperatures at or above 100 for weeks. This year, Greensboro and the Triad have only had six days at or above 90 the entire year, with the longest stretch of heat being four days in the low 90s.
Where did you see this? I'm seeing that Greensboro had 19 days so far at 90 or above with the first one on May 26th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina