Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Well, I do believe in freedom, but I also think that freedom should not extend to the point that individuals or corporations are allowed to damage shared resources. I'm definitely an environmentalist. I don't like that we have cancer pockets in the US from the poor air quality of refineries and that sort of thing. I don't like that foods are filled with all kinds of toxins and the average consumer doesn't realize it is dangerous. I don't know how to allow both autonomy and a healthy/safe environment. But there has to be some kind of middle ground where the US can both thrive and live within some kind of self-imposed limitations to the benefit of all. Being part of a community is necessarily making sacrifices for others within the community.
The two parties believe in freedom; their definitions of freedom, replete with their subjective limitations of freedom.
But, I get your drift and agree with the fact that sacrifices for community are warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I totally agree that churches or other religious organizations should not be funded by public money. But I don't think that is the same thing as using government funds to support an institution whose PRIMARY objective is academic education, even if that organization has a statement of faith. If that school is actually affiliated with and supported by a religious organization, that is a different matter.

But I'm also okay with agreeing to disagree. :-) We all have our own beliefs and that's okay.
I think you and I agree, if I am reading you correctly here.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think you and I agree, if I am reading you correctly here.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I attended a private religious elementary school and a private college that had its roots as a priest's college (so religious courses were still mandatory).

I in no way think that government funds should fund ANY school that has religious affiliations, regardless of the religion. They already are tax-exempt. That is more than enough.

My taxes should not go to fund any organization that works against all citizens having civil rights -- and that's just one issue.

The founders of our country did not create a Christian country. They understood what they were doing. The current conservative pack of crazies have no clue. They seem incapable of complex thought.

A dear friend of mine (who passed last week), was Wiccan. She was the most loving, positive person, and being Wiccan worked for her.

Would YOU want your tax money to support a Wiccan private school? I don't think that's what the NC politicians are pushing -- freedom for all. It has zero to do with freedom. They are pushing their rightwing conservative CHRISTIAN world view.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-12-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
My tax money should support reading, writing, arithmetic.

Parents should choose most of the rest.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Would YOU want your tax money to support a Wiccan private school? I don't think that's what the NC politicians are pushing -- freedom for all. It has zero to do with freedom. They are pushing their rightwing conservative CHRISTIAN world view.
BRB gonna establish a Church of Satan-affiliated private school to get me some of that sweet sweet taxpayer money.

And like Anton LaVey himself said, his trip is just Ayn Rand with some doofy ceremony tacked on, so ideologically everyone should be cool with it.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM

334 posts, read 867,574 times
The issue here is challenging the education monopoly. The status quo must be preserved. The worn out excuse is always the same.'need more money'
Giving parents the power to choose would undermine the monopoly. That can't be allowed to happen.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My tax money should support reading, writing, arithmetic.

Parents should choose most of the rest.
The purpose behind the government providing education to all should determine how it is used. Unless I am mistaken, the purpose is to have a free, literate society. Unless I am also mistaken, a large percentage of public schools (nationally speaking) are not fulfilling the literacy requirement. Why are these institutions more worthy of tax dollars than private schools? A private school is a school created by citizens, for citizens established at the voluntary expense of citizens, without the red tape that confines the public schools. Private schools are required to take basic competency tests in NC, but not the EOG's. On average, private schools exceed public school ability to, at the very least, graduate literate citizens.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I think the republicans are kooks.

But they won the election.

These "protestors" could not carry the day at the ballot box, so now they are disrupting the goings on.

At the same time, they are quick to point out that Obama won a "mandate" at the ballot box.

The inconsistency is glaring, and exposes, immediately the oh, never mind...... S. O. S.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I attended a private religious elementary school and a private college that had its roots as a priest's college (so religious courses were still mandatory).

I in no way think that government funds should fund ANY school that has religious affiliations, regardless of the religion. They already are tax-exempt. That is more than enough.

My taxes should not go to fund any organization that works against all citizens having civil rights -- and that's just one issue.

The founders of our country did not create a Christian country. They understood what they were doing. The current conservative pack of crazies have no clue. They seem incapable of complex thought.

A dear friend of mine (who passed last week), was Wiccan. She was the most loving, positive person, and being Wiccan worked for her.

This is taking on a mean-spirited tone. Unusual for you, lovebrentwood. But maybe that's because the topics here don't usually get into politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina