Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM

119 posts, read 261,520 times

Advertisements

Just curious on how exactly a cities grows. A city grows by annexation and ETJ right? So, how does a city determine what to annex and where to expand their ETJ? If a subdivision genuinely wants to become part of the city, I can understand that. But what happens if the land owners do not want to be annexed? What power does the city have to "go against their wishes"? Does a city have to annex a whole subdivision or is it done on a lot-by-lot basis? I would think a city would just want to gobble up as much land as it could. I know more land means more water, more garbage men, etc., but it also means more taxes. If a new neighborhood is being built between two cities, who gets to claim it? Does the builder of the neighborhood get to choose which city to go with? Does the builder have no say?

I know these are a lot of questions but I have always wondered how this works. Any insight would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk87 View Post
I know these are a lot of questions but I have always wondered how this works. Any insight would be helpful!
There are different kinds of annexation, and this may help: https://www.sog.unc.edu/node/43

Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
I don't understand how annexation works either. I always thought that the property to be annexed must be contiguous but our town has some annexed property 3 miles away.
Seems kind of confusing to me.What happens if some other town annexes the property in between those properties?

No wonder gerrymandering is so prevalent in NC.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I always thought that the property to be annexed must be contiguous but our town has some annexed property 3 miles away.
Seems kind of confusing to me.What happens if some other town annexes the property in between those properties?
There are maps that look like swiss cheese. New Bern annexed the Carolina Colours development so they could have city services, and I am sure the politicians and developers were cosy on that. But that was before many people lived there.

It is unlikely that a second town would annex a parcel surrounding an incorporated parcel, but there are strange looking spots between Cary and Morrisville. The land is more likely to remain unincorporated, and there can be confusion over which fire department serves an area, or which police or sheriff has jurisdiction.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-30-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
With the unincorporated county being dry, we have had restaurants and/or shopping centers annexed in our area for the purpose of alcohol sales.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM

21 posts, read 73,070 times
The GA made annexation exceedingly difficult last year. I doubt we'll see many cities grow their boundaries unless the law is changed back. Long-term, it seems like a good way to make sure cities shrivel and die.

This GA, short-sightedness is their specialty.

It's a great deal for the "edge" communities. Nestle up next to a big city, soak all their resources, escape without paying!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
I used to know it before the GA changed the rule but now I am not sure.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Annexation has essentially become a "voluntary" deal with the Legislature's changes. Developers are usually requesting annexations for the purpose of getting sewer and/or an increase in density zoning. Mixed Use developments (with a commercial component) almost always have to be in some incorporated town in NC because the town/city would have the capacity to handle the loads of sewer.

Satellite annexations have become the norm because the Legislature essentially eliminated forced annexations that would take in the land between the city and the annexed property.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Satellite annexations have become the norm because the Legislature essentially eliminated forced annexations that would take in the land between the city and the annexed property.
So the folks in these areas can continue to benefit from the city around them without having to actually pay for it?

Let me guess how these people typically vote....

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
So the folks in these areas can continue to benefit from the city around them without having to actually pay for it?

Let me guess how these people typically vote....
Yep...what I can't understand about the change is that the legislature apparently didn't allow a distinction between residents and businesses (maybe it can't by law). The Monkey Junction annexation attempt in Wilmington was one of the final straws...but it was only 3,000 residents....and 900 businesses.

So a city has 900 businesses right outside its city limits. That's not good for any city. And that area continues to grow. We could start to see large malls locating right outside the city limits if they can work out the sewer and zoning logistics.

Most cities have responded by increasing the density limits within their boundaries and allowing for more flexible zoning, therefore encouraging re-development within its limits. Luckily the demand right now is for multi-family units, so that has limited the annexation changes impact. But in the long run it will be interesting to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina