U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM

430 posts, read 814,499 times

Advertisements

This link was posted in another thread by carolina dreamin but I thought it was important enough to have it's own thread. Crime rates are something that all relocaters should be aware of when considering an area.

Fayetteville's rank in property crimes is fifth highest in nation in 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 AM

845 posts, read 2,086,920 times
But you know what.....the majority of the people of Fayetteville have lived there, worked there, played there their entire lives and have never been a victim of crime. It's mostly where you're at, what you're doing (up to no good where you shouldn't be), or crimes of opportunity. I'm almost 42 years old...my sister's car was broken into several years ago...BUT she had left the doors unlocked. AND she's the only person I personally know that's been a victim of a crime.

My dad has several properties in Fayetteville...none have never been broken into. His properties out in the county..in the country...where no one is around....have had the air conditioners stolen.

Although crime statistics are what they are....if you lock up like you should, don't go places you shouldn't, and be aware of your surroundings (like you should, no matter where you are)....Fayetteville is still a safe place.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM

3,830 posts, read 2,794,414 times
Not my experience. My parents lived in Fayetteville more than 50 years and their nice house in a nice neighborhood (next to VanStory) was broken into 4 or 5 or 6 times (I lost count). On at least one occasion the dogs scared them off from coming inside, but they got into the outside storage room and stole tools. On another occasion when Mom & Dad didn't have a dog anymore they stole almost all the old family silver. We finally talked Mom into getting a burglar alarm a few years before we moved her closer to us. I remember as a kid someone stole my bike out of the front yard right up next to the front door. Crime is everywhere, but it is worse in Fayetteville.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

310 posts, read 731,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post

Although crime statistics are what they are....if you lock up like you should, don't go places you shouldn't, and be aware of your surroundings (like you should, no matter where you are)....Fayetteville is still a safe place.
Yeah sure.........tell that to these woman.

Fayetteville woman shot in home :: WRAL.com

Those stats are based on crime per every 1,000 residents and cover the whole city.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM

757 posts, read 784,406 times
This is not surprising to most North Carolinians. There have been parts of Fayetteville that have been rough and tumble for decades. That being said there are some nice areas there, but those that arent.... it's a by product of the retail/army driven economy there there just isnt a lot of productivity going on otherwise especially for the youth.

What's of more concern to me is how and why is Salt Lake City #6 on that list. Who'd have thought.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post

Those stats are based on crime per every 1,000 residents and cover the whole city.
And look at the part of the city where that happened. That's one part of town you wouldn't want to live in.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,024,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post

Not a good example. That is the complex where I found the body lying on the living room floor of a duplex I was trying to show to a investor. The key that was supposed to open the door would not work on the vacant unit. I looked in the window and saw a body lying on the floor whether it was dead, drunk, or drugged I don't know. I'm glad I could not open it. I just took the key back to the management company and told them the situation.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Is VanStory a bad neighborhood? That was my example. The article states that Fayetteville is 5th in the nation in property crime which is what my parents were victims of all those times.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM

And the incident with the woman getting shot was in the 71st area. Is that area really bad now? It didn't used to be to the best of my knowledge. Nothing like Grove View Terrace or anything.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And the incident with the woman getting shot was in the 71st area. Is that area really bad now? It didn't used to be to the best of my knowledge. Nothing like Grove View Terrace or anything.
Yes, it is. I taught at one of the elementary schools in the area, and the stories I heard were awful. I didn't realize it was that bad in that area when I took the job. But there were a couple of shootings in the neighborhood surrounding the school during the year. Around Bunce Rd. & Strickland Bridge, lots of rentals, lots of transients, drugs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina