U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM

645 posts, read 2,614,118 times

Advertisements

Looking at all development along the Charlotte, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, and Durham-Chapel Hill-Raleigh corridor it almost seems like one big metro! If you look at the map you will see the highways between those major cities are lined with smaller cities/suburbs.

In fact, the mileage from Charlotte through Greensboro to Raleigh is only 160 miles or so. Probably a 2-3 hours drive, which actually could same as commute time in huge cities like New York.

I think in next 50 years that corridor will be heavily developed with cities. It will seem like you will never leave a city and enter a rural area when traveling through that corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM

29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
No, it doesn't. There's still waaaayyyyy too much undeveloped land between the three to feel that way.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM

9,568 posts, read 27,046,472 times
Not. at. All.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM

10,685 posts, read 11,307,496 times
No, not really. I can see what you're saying, but it's pretty country out there in between. Most of the development in the Triangle actually seems to be on the N/E/S of Raleigh and not really in the direction of the Triad (Greensboro area).

Charlotte is a whole 'nother thing all together. Not even close.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
I agree with others there two much undeveloped land. If any chance Mebane and Burlington could be suburbs of Greensboro and Durham but there is to much undevelop land between Randleman,Archdale, Thoma-lex Salisbury

Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM

601 posts, read 792,195 times
I wouldn't be surprised if all three metros did create a true megalopolis in like a hundred years or so. It would also be interesting if the gap between the Triangle and Richmond developed more to help bridge the two together (and linking the Northeast megaregion with the Piedmont Atlantic megaregion; but this is far, far off in the future).

Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM

34,603 posts, read 28,968,261 times
No.

NC is a fairly large state. You fill up that area between Raleigh and Charlotte with people and development and you're gonna have an impossible commute time (by car, anyway) between the two cities. For perspective? NYC isn't but around 30 miles at the widest. Raleigh is about 25 miles wide.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 AM

645 posts, read 2,614,118 times
I will admit its a bit of stretch saying it one huge metro. But all 3 of those Major cities in NC are such so closer to together. I would expect the corridors between them (I-85 and I-40) to develop heavily due the traffic.

Looks like the space between Greensboro and Durham is filling up along I-40 already, might take another decade before its done. It might take 50 years before I-85/I-40 is lined with cities / suburbs though.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,867,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Looking at all development along the Charlotte, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, and Durham-Chapel Hill-Raleigh corridor it almost seems like one big metro! If you look at the map you will see the highways between those major cities are lined with smaller cities/suburbs.

In fact, the mileage from Charlotte through Greensboro to Raleigh is only 160 miles or so. Probably a 2-3 hours drive, which actually could same as commute time in huge cities like New York.

I think in next 50 years that corridor will be heavily developed with cities. It will seem like you will never leave a city and enter a rural area when traveling through that corridor.
Just glad I won't be around to see if your prediction come true.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM

10,685 posts, read 11,307,496 times
I think you've been in Texas too long. NC isn't like that. It's a different critter. There have always been small towns and small cities in between the major cities. Only the ones right outside the major cities of Raleigh and Charlotte are bedroom communities. The rest have their own industries and economies. Nobody lives in Raleigh and commutes to Charlotte everyday. People live where they work and go to school for the most part. For the most part people who live in Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) work in the Triangle. People who live in the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) work in the Triad. People who live in the Charlotte region work there. What you're suggesting is just the same as suggesting that Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio/Austin all become one megalopolis.

While there has been huge growth in the Raleigh and Charlotte areas, they are very far from growing together and I wouldn't expect them to be much closer in the next 50 or 100 years. Not gonna happen anytime soon. Maybe in 500 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or