Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Who did I demonize?
Anyone who really respects the principle of separation of church and state.
The ONLY reason that this remains a political issue is because the religious keep it so.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Mikey,

It does not strengthen a position to demonize those who hold differing opinions.
No one wants anyone "...to have more babies." I know it was rhetorical sarcasm, but it is not on point.

Also, there is absolutely no restriction on religion in politics.
Religion in government? Yes, although that is routinely ignored by those whose politics are based on worshipping government as a deity.

Why do you think that calling them clowns is demonizing them? I think that the jerks who decided to stop traffic in my former town were a bunch of clowns. Of all of the name-calling that those clowns have done over the years before they decided to hi-jack the Republican party, do they deserve to be called something dignified?

I have had some conversations with native women, about my age, about the Republican actions. They are not thrilled & delighted. One time I did slip up & used the term clowns & immediately thought oops, shouldn't have said that. That woman lit up with a huge smile. She may or may not have understood clowns in the same way that I do, but she said that that was the perfect word to use for them.

This is a women's issue. Before Roe was decided the usual sentiment was "Why should a man have a say over my body? They can't get pregnant." Most women my age still have that feeling.

Jobs, jobs, jobs. . .what does that have to do with abortion, gay marriage, cutting education to the bone, & going after Planned Parenthood?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't know any of these clowns personally, Mikey, but I do agree with the "War on Women" tag that's attached to them. They are counting on the public to be ignorant of the facts.

Planned Parenthood dates back to 1916. I was a senior in college when Roe was decided. Planned Parenthood had a network of clinics & therefore were in a position to provide abortions, but public money has never been used for that. The public money is used for exams & lab fees for the pap smears. Private donations fund the abortion services.

I heard about back-alley abortions from women who survived them. I also heard about their friends who did not survive them.

I was once in a traffic jam when a group of right-wing nincompoops decided to take their protest of Planned Parenthood out into a busy road. I was in one of the 1st row of cars. When they approached my car I rolled down the car window & asked Are you going to take all of the babies & raise them yourself? When I got the answer "no", I said get out of the road & out of my town. Mind your own business.

I knew that the answer would be no because a couple of years before, when I went to have a check up & get a pap smear, some of the group approached me, screeching & calling me a harlot & a baby killer & blocking the door. I told them that I was there to get a check up & a papsmear because I was just out of college & couldn't afford to go to a private doctor. If they wanted to give me the money to go to a private doctor I'd be glad to do that, but otherwise they could get out of my way & quit calling me names or I would be happy to go down the street to a pay phone & call the police & press charges.
Keep fighting the good fight SB!

Quote:
Mikey,

It does not strengthen a position to demonize those who hold differing opinions.
No one wants anyone "...to have more babies." I know it was rhetorical sarcasm, but it is not on point.

Also, there is absolutely no restriction on religion in politics.
Religion in government? Yes, although that is routinely ignored by those whose politics are based on worshipping government as a deity.
They deserve to be called clowns for how they handled the legislation... that was my only derogatory remark so my assumption is that was your reference to "demonizing". Calling them a name is not demonizing them as far as I'm concerned - they took us all for idiots, it's insulting.

On the subject I offered my opinion on where this legislation could lead and asked an honest question - why cost us more money? I'm more than happy to hear good debate on the subject... without religion entering the picture. Sure, semantics... yes, we hear all the time about how people are "good Christians" during the campaigns - from that respect religion is all about "politics". I was referring to religion and legislation - which I know you're smart enough to get from my inference. When you're making laws, it should not be done from a religious standpoint... and that's what this ultimately is all about. Separation of church and state.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

They deserve to be called clowns for how they handled the legislation... that was my only derogatory remark so my assumption is that was your reference to "demonizing". Calling them a name is not demonizing them as far as I'm concerned - they took us all for idiots, it's insulting.

On the subject I offered my opinion on where this legislation could lead and asked an honest question - why cost us more money? I'm more than happy to hear good debate on the subject... without religion entering the picture. Sure, semantics... yes, we hear all the time about how people are "good Christians" during the campaigns - from that respect religion is all about "politics". I was referring to religion and legislation - which I know you're smart enough to get from my inference. When you're making laws, it should not be done from a religious standpoint... and that's what this ultimately is all about. Separation of church and state.
Thanks, Mikey!

Yes, such good christians. . .good christians who have blown up clinics & killed people over this issue.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Anyone who really respects the principle of separation of church and state.
The ONLY reason that this remains a political issue is because the religious keep it so.

hth
??????

So one who separates church and state worships government as a deity?
I never said as much and am willing to stipulate that that is not an accurate assumption regarding the political/religious dynamic.

Also willing to accept that it does not represent your belief, but willing to reconsider and accept such if you care to confirm it.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Actually, Mikey, I read your post a couple of times before offering alternative wisdom for consideration.
You did NOT say "legislation." You said "politics." Clearly. If your goal is that you would like to spur a specific inference, you might do well to cite YOUR error, and to correct your implication, not the inference your words spur.
I don't see any benefit to calling them "clowns." What they did is clearly wrong at least for being sneaky, and middle school rhetoric won't correct it or bring others to your way of thought.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Mikey!

Yes, such good christians. . .good christians who have blown up clinics & killed people over this issue.
Please! Identify which of the "clowns" have done these things!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
??????
How many straw men and red herrings are you going to throw into this?

Go back to the basics of the actual topic and stop trying to interpret or impute intent.
You seem willing to argue just about anything rather than the point.
---

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... and Free too

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly by choice opponents...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once the diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
and it's the best use of public funds even if/when HI is available and might pay something.

The right to make a choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
(which has been the strategy they have been attempting to implement since Hyde)

Last edited by MrRational; 07-07-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many straw men and red herrings are you going to throw into this?

Go back to the basics of the actual topic and stop trying to interpret or impute intent.
You seem willing to argue just about anything rather than the point.

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... and Free too
Nice script.

Now. Analyze your fumble in your absolutely, totally off the mark post to me; admit that you made an error in haste to smack down; feel the cathartic energy of truth flow through your veins.

Heck, the OP's concerns have been thoroughly answered. It must be time to lock the thread.
I went to government schools all my schooling, and learned to read for content. Did I just get lucky?

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Please! Identify which of the "clowns" have done these things!
Well, Mike, I'm guessing that you are considerably younger than I am. My age can be accurately estimated from my posts in this thread.

The religious right has quite a long record on this topic. Our current tea-party legislature is 2nd or 3rd generation religious right-wing. Their mantra for 2 election cycles has been jobs, jobs, jobs. How's that going? This generation is legislating against women's health care, hoping for ignorance on the part of the general public, rather than to blow up clinics & kill their employees.

You may agree with them, & that's your right. However, don't forget that I had to explain to you that abortions are not the primary purpose of Planned Parenthood, & public money is not used for them.

Again, I will say that the names of every right-wing clown who voted for this is on record & I hope that the families of every woman who dies because she was not able to get cancer screening because of this sues them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina