U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 883 times

Advertisements

So im a single female in my mid-20's. I live in NY (have most of my life) and absolutely hate it. I hate how absolutely everything and everyone here is high-strung, stressed out, with an all around negative outlook on everything. Im looking to move more south (but not TOO south) and have settled tentatively on NC but only have a tourists opinion about the state. I want a dog-friendly town thats close to a big city (I AM still young and like to have fun after all) but still pretty quiet, relatively safe ( I dont want to have to worry about getting shot/mugged on my way home every day). Im outdoorsy so somewhere close to beaches, trails, etc would be nice. I just want some straight-up answer with no sugar coating about areas I should consider and look into. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,219,859 times
Before you decide on your location, you need to find out what you can do for work. Look at job postings in NC for your field, then visit the places where you can find employment.

I have made several major location changes over my career. My best advice is to visit your top three during the time of year when the weather is most extreme. In NC it will be August.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM

22,401 posts, read 48,114,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_soul View Post
So im a single female in my mid-20's.
I live in NY (have most of my life) and absolutely hate it.
I hate how absolutely everything and everyone here is high-strung, stressed out,
with an all around negative outlook on everything.

I'm looking to move more south (but not TOO south) and have settled tentatively on NC
but only have a tourists opinion about the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Before you decide on your location, you need to find out what you can do for work.
Look at job postings in NC for your field, then visit the places where you can find employment.
^^What she said.

When you do move... go TO something not FROM something.
----

I have yet to visit NC, but...

Take at least one week off from work (not a minute less) and do that.
Get on a plane and fly into Raleigh.
Try to make some advance introduction/ contacts for jobs if you can.

Poke around. Take 3 or 4 days to meet people and see what is what.
Walk into a few potential work places cold.
Have lunch and dinner at the nearby watering holes.
Meet people.

Poke around the smaller cities outside of Raleigh too.
Rent a road car. Make the 150+ mile run out to the beach.
Don't make too many hard plans. Get motel rooms by the night.

Turn around and make the then 450+ mile run out to the mountains.
Stop in at Winston and Blowing Rock along the way.
Do some of that trip on the Parkway.

Don't make too many hard plans.Get motel rooms by the night.
Allow a full day or better yet an overnight to get to Asheville.

Then drive down to Charlotte.
Use your last day or two to repeat what you did in Raleigh.
Fly home from CLT and think about it all.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM

25,211 posts, read 21,075,401 times
There are NO big cities in NC.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM

10,789 posts, read 15,770,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are NO big cities in NC.
Just to clarify, Charlotte is the largest at about 709,000, Raleigh is next at 406,000, then Durham at 229,000. Cary is 137,000, and Asheville is 77,000. So none are on the scale of NYC, Philadelphia or Los Angeles.

They all have relatively safe suburban areas outside the cities where you can keep a dog. The OP needs to research where her jobs skills would take her. I also think Mr. Rational has given sound advice about how to determine where you want to go.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 AM

991 posts, read 948,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Just to clarify, Charlotte is the largest at about 709,000, Raleigh is next at 406,000, then Durham at 229,000. Cary is 137,000, and Asheville is 77,000. So none are on the scale of NYC, Philadelphia or Los Angeles.

They all have relatively safe suburban areas outside the cities where you can keep a dog. The OP needs to research where her jobs skills would take her. I also think Mr. Rational has given sound advice about how to determine where you want to go.

Wait how is Charlotte not a large city, and you have the city population off. Its actually around 775,000 just to clarify

Charlotte metro area population jumps to within top 25 | CLT Blog

The Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area is defined as seven counties in North Carolina and three counties in South Carolina. The population of the MSA was 2,296,569 according to the 2012 Census. Charlotte is the 17th largest city and 23rd largest metro area in the United States. Charlotte is the 2nd largest city in the Southeast.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 AM
LLN

4,655 posts, read 7,319,338 times
There are 100 counties in North Carolina. It is a shame that 90% of those moving here only "CONSIDER" Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 AM

22,947 posts, read 53,380,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_soul View Post
So im a single female in my mid-20's. I live in NY (have most of my life) and absolutely hate it. I hate how absolutely everything and everyone here is high-strung, stressed out, with an all around negative outlook on everything. Im looking to move more south (but not TOO south) and have settled tentatively on NC but only have a tourists opinion about the state. I want a dog-friendly town thats close to a big city (I AM still young and like to have fun after all) but still pretty quiet, relatively safe ( I dont want to have to worry about getting shot/mugged on my way home every day). Im outdoorsy so somewhere close to beaches, trails, etc would be nice. I just want some straight-up answer with no sugar coating about areas I should consider and look into. Thank you!!!

Sorry OP, there seem to disconnect on what your asking for and members wanting to turn it into a my city better than your thread.

The OP stated some where near (thats the operative word a big city
Can we focus this thread in helping the OP with her questions please.
Quote:
somewhere close to beaches, trails, etc would be nice. I just want some straight-up answer with no sugar coating about areas I should consider and look into.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM

10,789 posts, read 15,770,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sorry OP, there seem to disconnect on what your asking for and members wanting to turn it into a my city better than your thread.

The OP stated some where near (thats the operative word a big city
Can we focus this thread in helping the OP with her questions please.
Well, the requirement of "near a large city" to my mind suggest Raleigh, as the OP did not define large. Raleigh is 2.5 hours to the beach. If she wants to be closer to beaches there is Wilmington. However, there is a high unemployment rate in much of Eastern North Carolina, so I couldn't recommend it unless I knew jobs skills.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM

10,207 posts, read 16,707,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When you do move... go TO something not FROM something.
Extremely good advice. There are 49 other states besides NY. NC might not be the one best suited to you (or it might, but consider your employment first and foremost. NC is #5 in unemployment, for example). Things always look different (anywhere) as a tourist than as a resident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina