Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM

109 posts, read 200,255 times

Advertisements

Live in Charlotte and have noticed that the city has rebounded nicely since the Financial Crisis of 2008-2011/2012.

Downtown minor league ballpark, new downtown Romare Bearden park, mass transit moving forward, construction cranes returning (several news buildings planned or under constructions - mid to high rise), new major employers moving in, etc.

It made me think that Charlotte is regaining its momentum (lost for a period of almost 5 years) and I think it's on good foundation again. It also made me wonder about other cities in North Carolina - Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, Asheville in particular (though this is not meant to be exclusive).

Residents of those cities - do you feel the State of your City is strong? Do you feel it lost ground during the recession and is now back? Or is it still facing a stagnation issue? What do you envision or see going on over the next year or so for your city?

I know there are city forums here - but I think in the sense of looking at North Carolina as a whole - and for the benefit of many looking at us from outside the state - it might be interesting to have a discussion of the strength or state of our cities in 2013 going towards 2014 and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
with wilmington, it is hard to say what constitutes a 'good economy,' after the disruptive effects of the housing bubble.

high land prices? land development? lots of tourists? For some people these are critical aspects of the economy, for others these are problems that hold us back.

municipal finances seem pretty good, county finances seem pretty good, so i reckon things could be worse.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
North Carolina has gone down tremendously. Yes we still have plenty transplants everyday. I find that most of the majority come from up north...Of course coming from states like NY, NJ, CT,things will seem rosy to you here, because things are significantly higher up North. 5th highest unemployment rate in the nation out of 50 states(not good); Skyhigh taxes on everything.(The state taxes you to death);Fierce competition for even a retail job at Kmart....Cmon people. Sorry, but I dont like what the state has become.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Was in downtown Wilmington the other day and the projects going on are amazing...just finished the 3rd St streetscape project, which has had a drastic aesthetic effect on all of downtown.

The $40 million Union Square building at CFCC is finishing up at Front and Red Cross...and construction has started on CFCC's Performing Arts Center on 3rd Street. Across the St from the performing Arts center are 2 residential projects.

And along the riverfront, construction of the Marina project continues as well as the Riverfront park improvements.

On 2nd Street a 7 story Marriott is being constructed.

Other projects are planned but not yet in construction...including a couple more new hotels. I would say with the mix of public and private projects that the state of Wilmington is good right now despite the State's removal of its right to annex Monkey Junction (which included about 900 businesses).

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
This is GREAT news for Wilmington, but didn't the area just lose a metro county to Myrtle Beach? If so, that would mean that Myrtle is creating more jobs and thus pulling in more commuters. This is yet another example of South Carolina putting the economic "pimp-slap" to NC cities. We're seeing jobs in Charlotte jump the state line into York and Lancaster Counties, so it's not like Wilmington is alone. Over near Asheville; Spartanburg and Greenville are the economic engines near Western NC. IMO, I don't think that we give our SC neighbors their due. SC cities (in general) are on the rise faster than most NC cities. NC is still the larger of the two, but SC is coming up fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina