Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM

875 posts, read 1,156,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I still dont see the reason why a thread had to be started to make fun of people who just simply have a different view point than your own.
That is the progressive way, demonize and dehumanize the opposition. "Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage." - Saul Alinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think the OP was an offhand comment, made to indicate the (as it turns out, accurate) crowd at this event would NOT be diverse.

I don't think it was designed to hate on white folks. Or old folks.

I'm not sure why anyone would leap to that conclusion.
Oh I don't know, the fact that anytime someone posts in support of the GA they are called racists, or the hundreds of comments calling the GA racists who hate the poor and want to destroy the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
No one got arrested on Tuesday. But that should not be a surprise to anyone.
Perhaps because they weren't disrupting the business of the legislators inside the Capital and left when asked.

Last edited by netbrad; 07-18-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Oh I don't know, the fact that anytime someone posts in support of the GA they are called racists, or the hundreds of comments calling the GA racists who hate the poor and want to destroy the state.

Perhaps because they weren't disrupting the business of the legislators inside the Capital and left when asked.
Are you or a member of your family a part of the GA? If not, I am baffled as to why you get so offended on their behalf.

I get that you think they're the best thing since crushed ice, but why do you (it seems) get so mightily offended when people think that most of them are bigots?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,960,905 times
Quote:
Are you or a member of your family a part of the GA? If not, I am baffled as to why you get so offended on their behalf.

I get that you think they're the best thing since crushed ice, but why do you (it seems) get so mightily offended when people think that most of them are bigots?
Maybe because they are!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM

875 posts, read 1,156,812 times
Quote:

No I am not and none of my family are. I do not think they are the greatest thing ever but I believe their ideas are (mostly) better than where the progressive Democrats want to take the state.

I get offended at the hypocrisy of the supposed "tolerant" left using dehumanization as a basis for disagreement, shutting down the argument via slander.t is one thing to say "I disagree with the policies of party A because of XYZ reasons". It is quite another to say "I disagree with the policies of party A because they are all racist bigots that hate everyone". The fact that so many people think it is acceptable to throw around terms like that just because of a political disagreement is appalling.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
No I am not and none of my family are. I do not think they are the greatest thing ever but I believe their ideas are (mostly) better than where the progressive Democrats want to take the state.

I get offended at the hypocrisy of the supposed "tolerant" left using dehumanization as a basis for disagreement, shutting down the argument via slander.t is one thing to say "I disagree with the policies of party A because of XYZ reasons". It is quite another to say "I disagree with the policies of party A because they are all racist bigots that hate everyone". The fact that so many people think it is acceptable to throw around terms like that just because of a political disagreement is appalling.
Why, though?

I may not honestly think that every single Tea Party Repub in the GA is a racist bigot, but I think they are voting in a manner that I find to be extreme.

I'm used to moderates (both Repub and Dem) here in NC. This current wave of extremism is alarming.

I do not care for the pointless social legislation. We don't need it and it distracts from the work I would like the GA to be doing.

Ergo? If I complain about them, even if I call them names... Who cares?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
I think the all the politicos in Raleigh are Losers.

But...it is what the MAJORITY of the people wanted.

I can understand why the politicians act like idiots, crooks, and fools (Because they are). But has the MAJORITY of the state gone looney? Or is there something else at work?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

I can understand why the politicians act like idiots, crooks, and fools (Because they are). But has the MAJORITY of the state gone looney? Or is there something else at work?
Define "majority".

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Playing devil's advocate, the majority party did not get the majority of votes.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 PM

257 posts, read 293,627 times
Quote:
... This used to be a moderate state. For decades.

It's a damned circus now. It may not be a liberal state, but it certainly wasn't a backward state until recently.
The sad part is feeling like we are being held captive. I have not seen one statistic to back some of the self-serving moves the state government is undertaking:
CLT takeover - Why? CLT was recently rated as the 2nd best in the country for connection, and though it is the 8th busiest airport in the country, it consistently ranks among the top 5 for on time departures (SmartTravel.com 6/13/2013). If is "ain't broke" why change the management... $$$$ for state.
The Tax changes - Why? How will the state balance the budget and make up for the reduced revenues until all those "anticipated" jobs bang at our door and bring more spending money.
Cut the extended unemployment benefit AND cut severely cut the amount of regular benefits - why? How will that help people find jobs and keep families alive?
Abortion reform - Why? Have you heard one statistic citing an increase in deaths or major medical problems? No! I an not pro-abortion, but I am absolutely pro-choice. My religious or whatever beliefs should not be forced on others.
Ignore scientific data and only use "historical" data up to 1900 to "predict" the impact of sea level changes - Why? Because the scientific predictions of the loss of 39" of land by 2100 means some developer is scared he can't sell his newly developed houses at the shore.
The list goes on. I can't believe so much damage has been done in so little time.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM

257 posts, read 293,627 times
Quote:

Good question...
Perhaps it is what the vocal/active community wants - not necessarily the "majority". Why is there a "silent majority"? Why do people just watch on the sidelines, put their head in the sand and "hope" everything works out. Don't upset the apple cart! If it doesn't affect me directly - ignore it? No, or little commitment to community - only to self interest? Does everyone think someone else will solve the problem?

Look at history for examples. I don't think all Germans in Germany during WWII were bad, but a man decided and was allowed to put into practice the eradication of homosexuality and eliminate abortions:
1936 – Heinrich Himmler, Chief of the SS, created the "Reich Central Office for the Combating of Homosexuality and Abortion". He was only stopped when the war's end was near and he killed himself.

I was active in a community coordinating group a few years ago. Crime was taking over a section of the community (dense rentals and absentee landlords) and like roaches, if you don't control it, it controls you. Many neighbors refused to get involved. In particular, I remember one women tell me she ignored what happened outside the safety of our walled community. I reminded her that walls can be climbed, and she drives outside the safety of the walls everyday to go to work, to the store, etc. "Safety" was an illusion.

Has "Self" become so important that the "greater good" has lost meaning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina