Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Oregon and Delaware are better examples of what Democrats actually do when they have power. No sales tax, all income tax. And funny enough, neither of those states are failing. In fact Delaware has the highest GDP per capita of any state if I'm not mistaken. Lots of out of state money comes in to avoid sales taxes.
Democrats are in control in California and it is a mess. I don't think you can just pick two states that meet your criteria to point to success.

I used to be republican, got tired of both parties and went independent. I don't have much use for either party. Unfortunately, there is no viable third party yet.

However, let the numbers speak for themselves. Democrats were in control of 7 out of 10 of the ten richest states in the US. They were in control of 2 out of 10 of the top ten poorest states. North Carolina was #10 on the list of the top ten poorest states.

The parties in control was as of July 2013 and the list of richest and poorest states was from 2011. I'm not sure if there was a change in power between 2011 and 2013, but I doubt it.

I'd like to think it is not the party that makes the difference, but reasonable men. I know, Pollyanna.

Here are my sources:

America’s Richest States - 24/7 Wall St.

Partisan composition of state houses - Ballotpedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
But what about the high paying NC/Duke/Research Triangle jobs flowing into NC. Like I said, there are a lot of Fed Govt employees in NOVA, but these are GS 8s, 9s, 10s, etc and not big income folks like we supposedly have in the RTP. Not buying what you are claiming here yet. Why is VA, which is primarily rural with exception of NOVA and Tidewater (military) doing so much better with lower taxes?
Been through Va. a lot the past few years seems like suburban sprawl has occured as there are large population areas in the state, Roanoke, Richmond, Winchester, and wherever there is a large University.
So tell me how many of those high paying Jobs flowing into the Triangle area are there? What are the GS rates of pay that you mentioned. What is the average income of VA.? In NC the average is around $40,000.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Been through Va. a lot the past few years seems like suburban sprawl has occured as there are large population areas in the state, Roanoke, Richmond, Winchester, and wherever there is a large University.
So tell me how many of those high paying Jobs flowing into the Triangle area are there? What are the GS rates of pay that you mentioned. What is the average income of VA.? In NC the average is around $40,000.
Roanoke? LOL - it's a mountain valley town - equivalent to maybe Asheville NC. The metro areas in VA are NOVA and Tidewater (Norfolk/Va Beach) Those govt jobs are in the 35K - 55K range. I would think research triangle jobs are way into six figures - these are supposedly "hi tech" jobs versus govt grunt jobs in VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina