Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. Ten years ago I moved to Miami from NY because I just couldn't take the traffic and the snow anymore. My mother and grandmother live in Miami and I am actually Cuban. Believe it or not, I went through culture shock at first but now I sort of like most of it (food, music, etc.) Traffic is getting to me here now too and homeowner's insurance rates are ridiculous. I think a lot of people are wanting to leave Miami and surrounding areas. My questions: I need to be in a university medical center setting and I probably will not have a job in advance so I'll have to look after the fact. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and would like somewhere affordable, quiet, that could be my retirement setting, but within short commute to work area and your basic shopping, restaurants, etc. I don't want to be in the boondocks but not in a hustle and bustle town either. I was thinking around Charlotte but I think that's going to become like Miami soon. Maybe just over the border in SC? What about the Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro area? I don't want it to get too cold either. Am I asking for too much???
Any advice?? And sorry - I can't cook Cuban but my husband can!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Though the Charlotte area's great (I live here) and has great hospitals and colleges, there's no university tied in with a hospital here. The Raleigh/Durham (Duke Medical Center)/Chapel Hill (UNC Hospital) area would be a good choice. Another good choice (and cheaper than the Raleigh area) would be Winston Salem (Baptist Hospital - tied in with Wake Forest University). Good luck!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Relocation advice

Thanks FriendNC. I wish there was a big university medical center around the Charlotte area. Isn't it warmer there than in the Triangle area? I don't know NC at all so I'll be doing some running around soon to get to know the different parts and what would be most convenient but I really, really, need a starting point. What do you think about the Winston-Salem, High Point, etc. areas? Any big healthcare systems there? I keep looking on line but I'm getting so confused! How far is say the Greensboro area from the Triangle area?
Thanks for any help!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Relocation advice continued

Friends NC: Meant to add something. My background is more physican inclined than hospitals. I have been in university teaching settings, with academic practice, for many, many years. I do practice management and I am a certified coder/auditor (compliance stuff). Was hoping to continue in those fields. Would Baptist/Wake Forest have anything similar??? And does the further west I go, the colder it gets?

Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Friends NC: Meant to add something. My background is more physican inclined than hospitals. I have been in university teaching settings, with academic practice, for many, many years. I do practice management and I am a certified coder/auditor (compliance stuff). Was hoping to continue in those fields. Would Baptist/Wake Forest have anything similar??? And does the further west I go, the colder it gets?
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem would be your best bet, I think. Living would be more affordable there than Charlotte or Raleigh for sure.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
The weather in Charlotte and Raleigh are about the same. Yes, in NC the farther west and north you go, the cooler it gets. Winston Salem's weather is a little cooler than here (near Charlotte). For some of the stuff you were talking about, you could do in the Charlotte area. The heathcare systems are great here. But I think Wake Forest would be a great fit for you. My in-laws live in the Greensboro/Winston Salem area and love it. Greensboro's about an hour from Raleigh, and a little over an hour from Charlotte (as is WS). Just a little side note; about 30-40 miles NW of Winston Salem is the town of Mt. Airy. It's Andy Griffith's home town and the model for Mayberry on the Andy Griffith Show. It's one of the sweetest, most charming little towns in America. Cute and neat as a pin and there are no people on earth any nicer. Many of the businesses on the show are real businesses that have operated in the town years before the show aired and most are still in operation (Wally's Service Station, Bluebird Dinner, Floyd's Barber Shop, ect). They really play the whole Mayberry theme up and there's a good bit to do and see there. I live in Concord (near Charlotte) and it's about 1.5 hours north of here and we visit often. That whole region of Winston Salem/Mt. Airy is a real jewel. Anyway (sorry for rambling), Good luck in your search!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Just go ahead and ramble. I think you ramble well
I thank the others too who commented. Any body else? I need all the help I can get. So frustrating not knowing exactly what to do. Trying to minimize wrong choices as much as I can. Hummmm, I guess it wouldn't work to live near Charlotte and work near Winston Salem would it? Any nice place a little warmer and close but not toooo close to my best bets? My bones just don't like cold or snow.
Thanks everyone.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
You could do Stateville/Troutman which is North of Charlotte. About a 30 min ride to Winston Salem and NO traffic!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Just go ahead and ramble. I think you ramble well
I thank the others too who commented. Any body else? I need all the help I can get. So frustrating not knowing exactly what to do. Trying to minimize wrong choices as much as I can. Hummmm, I guess it wouldn't work to live near Charlotte and work near Winston Salem would it? Any nice place a little warmer and close but not toooo close to my best bets? My bones just don't like cold or snow.
Thanks everyone.
Charlotte is really not that much warmer than Raleigh to tell you the truth. To get the kind of milder winter weather you seem to want you really would have to go down in to South Carolina, nearer to the coast. Otherwise, unless you go up to the mountains weather in NC won't be much different.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks to all who have responded. I think I will be asking a lot more questions very soon. This is a great forum with very helpful folks. Maybe after I take my first trip, I can be a little more focused. Maybe I'll be worse. There are so many things to consider. I don't have to worry about young children and schools at this stage so that makes things just a bit easier.
You all have a nice weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina