Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 76,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
My spouse is from the Triad and I tried my best to get him to return after military retirement. We even made a special trip to see his favorite teams play ball (I was a booster club). He still didn't want to do it because of the old set ways of slow to change and racism. I wanted to move there for our little one who is an equestrian (college/scholarship) and to be near his family AND a slower pace of life.

I'm a west coast girl and this is where he retired to. I'm glad to be back on this side of the block just because it feels like fresh air with no humidity, lots of diversity and open-minded opportunities. Every place has trade offs. Maybe you should start off by vacationing in random places to experience what this country has to offer. Sounds like NC is in a political mess right now. Hopefully everyone will benefit from this new government.
My fiance is also from the triad area and she some how convinced me to move here from WA and so far I've hated it for those exact same reasons. We were just going to pick up and head ack to the PNW but somehow she's convinced me to give NC another shot and to try out western NC... I've heard it's completely different from eastern NC but who knows. If anything we could pick up and head back to WA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
NC has it all. If a person doesn't like what he can find here I would ask just what state has more to offer? Some people don't like variety but most do.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM

40 posts, read 60,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallymymeow View Post
Hi, I moved to the Piedmont area of North Carolina three years ago from the Western US. Folks are ok here, but I feel that there is a lot of prejudice people here. Generally speaking many people here are slow to accept people with ideas that are different than their own viewpoint. It's been especially hard for my young daughter to make friends here. There just isn't a lot for young people to do here. I am going to move soon, as it just isn't happening for us here! Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is a forum for posting your own opinions.
Hi, Sallymymeow;
Your post approaches an uncomfortable topic very cordially.
I am glad you will be moving soon, because that is a Huge Positive! I plan on moving soon, too!
The thing is, I've been living in various areas of the south for over 40 years. (Work and family issues).
I would have thought that over that time, people in the Piedmont area--or throughout this state, for that matter--would have grown or perhaps Evolved with modernization, and would be more accepting of people with ideas that differ from theirs. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case.

I very much agree that there is prejudice everywhere around here, with racism, sexism, religion, and just about every other way they can think of. I am beginning to think that they hate Each Other and Themselves more than anyone else. There Has to be a real reason for all of this, and I am getting too old to try to crack it.

But Best of Luck with your move!
I know you will be happy!
Cheers!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
Hi, Sallymymeow;
I am glad you will be moving soon, because that is a Huge Positive! I plan on moving soon, too!
The thing is, I've been living in various areas of the south for over 40 years. (Work and family issues).
I would have thought that over that time, people in the Piedmont area--or throughout this state, for that matter--would have grown or perhaps Evolved with modernization, and would be more accepting of people with ideas that differ from theirs. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case.

I very much agree that there is prejudice everywhere around here, with racism, sexism, religion, and just about every other way they can think of. I am beginning to think that they hate Each Other and Themselves more than anyone else. There Has to be a real reason for all of this, and I am getting too old to try to crack it.

Cheers!
It's rather complex, but I suspect has something to do cultural holdovers from the Civil War and Reconstruction. Perhaps they view the presence of outsiders as occupation by a foreign nation?? I think they would prefer not to deal with outsiders but economics necessitates it.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 AM

40 posts, read 60,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
It's rather complex, but I suspect has something to do cultural holdovers from the Civil War and Reconstruction. Perhaps they view the presence of outsiders as occupation by a foreign nation?? I think they would prefer not to deal with outsiders but economics necessitates it.
RoaminRebel, I could not agree with you more.
I think there have been a Lot of studies on that which indicate exactly what you're saying. And it makes perfect sense.
I still think that NC has to open up its collective spirit to new people and new ideas.
I saw this yesterday. Asheville, NC and the Greensboro/High Point NC Area are BOTH in the Top Ten here:
Hunger in America: The 10 Places Struggling with Food Insecurity

Either Adapt or Die, and in observation of the 2012 NC Primary, the LAST thing the people of NC are about to do is Adapt or Evolve!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
Quote:
RoaminRebel, I could not agree with you more.
I think there have been a Lot of studies on that which indicate exactly what you're saying. And it makes perfect sense.
I still think that NC has to open up its collective spirit to new people and new ideas.
I saw this yesterday. Asheville, NC and the Greensboro/High Point NC Area are BOTH in the Top Ten here:
Hunger in America: The 10 Places Struggling with Food Insecurity

Either Adapt or Die, and in observation of the 2012 NC Primary, the LAST thing the people of NC are about to do is Adapt or Evolve!
How is hunger in Asheville and Greensboro/High Point relevant to liking North Carolina?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Hi, Sallymymeow;

Cheers!
Where do you live? As some have pointed out, NC is very diverse...in fact many of its cities are very diverse. One neighborhood can be one way and another another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina