Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,202,865 times

Advertisements

Having been on a union decert. team in the 80's I see an opening for teachers unions in NC.

Remove their tenure, increase's in their share to med. and pension, no pay raise to keep up.
No representation in the Legis. to show that they are valuable to the public.

This is just asking for Union organizers to show up in school driveways come September.
They will also be coming for the privately owned schools as the teachers there are paid just as poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,168 times
Many parents and teachers throughout our system do in fact open their pockets and pay more all the time to support our schools. I'm a room mom and I can't even calculate how much money I spent over the last year to provide additional supplies, etc. The PTA also funds many basic projects at our school. The teachers also routinely buy many items for their classrooms paid for out of their own personal money. What is the logic in taking funding from the public schools to support a voucher program? Or tax cuts for businesses or the wealthy? Where is the long term vision here?

I notice in my kid's elementary school that many of the experienced teachers are jumping ship to other careers entirely. So we will be left with a bunch of new, inexperienced teachers, which is a disaster for the students.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,202,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1972 View Post
many parents and teachers throughout our system do in fact open their pockets and pay more all the time to support our schools. I'm a room mom and i can't even calculate how much money i spent over the last year to provide additional supplies, etc. The pta also funds many basic projects at our school. The teachers also routinely buy many items for their classrooms paid for out of their own personal money. What is the logic in taking funding from the public schools to support a voucher program? Or tax cuts for businesses or the wealthy? Where is the long term vision here?

I notice in my kid's elementary school that many of the experienced teachers are jumping ship to other careers entirely. So we will be left with a bunch of new, inexperienced teachers, which is a disaster for the students.
agree

Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,188,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I would love the help those in need but I am not in a financial position to do so.
Well if that's the case I doubt you would feel little or no pressure from any increase in income tax. It's the Republicans who are trying to effectively raise tax rates on the middle class and below. There exists a growing gap between the have and have nots, a superb way to narrow that gap is to educate the populace. And that is a burden that has to be shared.

I don't think tax cuts for the wealthiest should be a priority over education. Tax rates in NC are NOT relatively high... and there's no oil in NC, lol.

I think, without even realizing it, you help my argument.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
What is the logic in taking funding from the public schools to support a voucher program?
If the school in question is failing the students it makes perfect logical sense to give the parents a better choice. I would rather my tax money go to schools that help students succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Well if that's the case I doubt you would feel little or no pressure from any increase in income tax. It's the Republicans who are trying to effectively raise tax rates on the middle class and below. There exists a growing gap between the have and have nots, a superb way to narrow that gap is to educate the populace. And that is a burden that has to be shared.

I don't think tax cuts for the wealthiest should be a priority over education. Tax rates in NC are NOT relatively high... and there's no oil in NC, lol.

I think, without even realizing it, you help my argument.
If the government took less of my money I would be able to help more. The "tax cut for the rich" is a tired trope. The tax cuts are for everyone. The more you make the more they take, so it make sense that you would receive more from a cut if your income is higher. People and businesses go where the taxes are lowest. As for education, the lottery was supposed to help with funding. Where is that money? Are we getting our money's worth with an 80-85% statewide graduation rate?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,168 times
Quote:
If the school in question is failing the students it makes perfect logical sense to give the parents a better choice. I would rather my tax money go to schools that help students succeed.

If the government took less of my money I would be able to help more. The "tax cut for the rich" is a tired trope. The tax cuts are for everyone. The more you make the more they take, so it make sense that you would receive more from a cut if your income is higher. People and businesses go where the taxes are lowest. As for education, the lottery was supposed to help with funding. Where is that money? Are we getting our money's worth with an 80-85% statewide graduation rate?
They aren't taking money from "failing schools" they are taking it from ALL schools. Frankly, how will we measure whether the private schools we give the voucher money to are a "better choice"? My children's school is an "honor school of excellence" and it will suffer severe consequences under the proposed budget and already suffers under the current budget. This isn't about talking points. Do you actually have a child in NC public schools?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,188,205 times
Quote:
If the government took less of my money I would be able to help more.
Sure you could. But you don't sound very much like someone who would. Thank God we haven't relied on folks with your mindset to fund our schools up 'til now.

Quote:
As for education, the lottery was supposed to help with funding. Where is that money? Are we getting our money's worth with an 80-85% statewide graduation rate?
Why don't you write your legislators about the lottery? I'm neither an advocate nor a contributor to the lottery. It wouldn't surprise me to learn of more corruption within the lottery system, but that is a separate topic. The OP here wants to shine a bright light on the "hard work" these Republican are doing at the expense of the children of this state.

One day perhaps you'll have children. If that day comes I imagine you will feel differently. Until then, try to remember that you were a kid once too. Probably a kid who didn't have 37 classmates. Probably a kid who had assistant teachers. Probably a kid who had the chance to play school sports. Probably a kid who didn't have to spend 8 hours a day at school. Probably a kid who got to attend a neighborhood school. Probably a kid taught by teachers who made more than fry cooks at McDonalds. Try to remember that feeling so one day, when you're an old-timer you can tell the kids about how it was "back in the day", lol.

Last edited by Native_Son; 07-24-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,641,264 times
Quote:
NC pubs cut corporate tax rates and rates for the wealthiest at the expense of public education. They even managed to find money for PRIVATE SCHOOL VOUCHERS, but R leaders say "the money HAD to come from somewhere". WTF?!?

Is anyone paying attention?

Budget plan gets initial OK in General Assembly :: WRAL.com
Native_Son, this doesn't surprise me in the least, considering who McCrory had helping him on the campaign trail. All I'm going to say on that is that if there is good turnout at the polls in November from teachers, police, & firemen, Christie is gone.

What's going on here is a shame.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,718,615 times
If the public funds for private education end up not paying the entire bill, the move is totally indefensible . My daughter was awarded a $36,000 per year scholarship. Unfortunately tuition, board and fees were $65,000+. That scholarship was worthless. Same with vouchers or whatever.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,021 times
Quote:
Sure you could. But you don't sound very much like someone who would. Thank God we haven't relied on folks with your mindset to fund our schools up 'til now.
I provided financial and technical support for a non-profit for 6 years thank you very much, and I will help again when I am able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina