Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times

Advertisements

This is more than just about voter ID. These guys are definitely trying to curb voter turn out for certain demographics (i.e. poor, young, and elderly) who typically vote for Democrat.

Other provisions in this bill

-Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, who currently can register to vote before they turn 18.
-Outlaw paid voter registration drives.
-Eliminate straight-ticket voting, which has been in place since 1925.
-Eliminate provisional voting if someone shows up at the wrong precinct.
-Students can't use their Student IDs to vote.
-Shortening early voting from 17 to 10 days; This may not seem big but keep in mind NC is fast growing state so this will mean longer lines.

What does all this have to do with voter fraud? We should be encouraging more people to vote and making it easier. If the GOP message is selling, maybe they she re-think their message. Why stoop to cheap tactics to win elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,529,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
"Silencing the poor and elderly?" How?

How is it harder for hourly/working class to vote?
Carolina-Native, it is not just the working class person that needs to vote. He/she may have to report to work at 7am. That means getting up at 5:30 or 6:00 am. If they have to take kids to daycare or before school, that takes time. Polls open up at 7 am, so they cannot vote then.

In a working class family, especially a minority one, the worker may get off between 3:30 or 5:00 pm, and they can vote. However, many that work have elderly in the family that may not drive, nor have a driver's license, so they depend on those members for a variety of duties: grocery shopping, going to the doctor, and voting for instance.

Now you are in a situation where one or two people may be responsible for taking two or three, or perhaps more family members to the polls. Having weekend voting, Sunday voting, register and vote priviledges rewarding for certain minority groups.

The process will be more difficult for certain minorites to get to the polls, disenfranchising them. A lot of minorites do not have jobs (yet) where they can go in at 8 or 9 in the morning, flex time when they work Monday through Friday, and get off at 5 in the evening.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Carolina-Native, it is not just the working class person that needs to vote. He/she may have to report to work at 7am. That means getting up at 5:30 or 6:00 am. If they have to take kids to daycare or before school, that takes time. Polls open up at 7 am, so they cannot vote then.

In a working class family, especially a minority one, the worker may get off between 3:30 or 5:00 pm, and they can vote. However, many that work have elderly in the family that may not drive, nor have a driver's license, so they depend on those members for a variety of duties: grocery shopping, going to the doctor, and voting for instance.

Now you are in a situation where one or two people may be responsible for taking two or three, or perhaps more family members to the polls. Having weekend voting, Sunday voting, register and vote priviledges rewarding for certain minority groups.

The process will be more difficult for certain minorites to get to the polls, disenfranchising them. A lot of minorites do not have jobs (yet) where they can go in at 8 or 9 in the morning, flex time when they work Monday through Friday, and get off at 5 in the evening.
These are exactly the points that everyone fails to see here, if you work M-F from 8am-5pm, and you have a family to take care of once you get off work, you know, run errands, cook dinner, participate in your childs extracurricular activities, who is going to think about voting on that first Tuesday in November? Early voting, especially on wekends, makes it more convenient for people! The Tea Party can try and put all of these obstacles in place all they want, you will not stop me from exercising my right to vote!want,youwillnot stop me f

Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
This is more than just about voter ID. These guys are definitely trying to curb voter turn out for certain demographics (i.e. poor, young, and elderly) who typically vote for Democrat.

Other provisions in this bill

-Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, who currently can register to vote before they turn 18.
-Outlaw paid voter registration drives.
-Eliminate straight-ticket voting, which has been in place since 1925.
-Eliminate provisional voting if someone shows up at the wrong precinct.
-Students can't use their Student IDs to vote.
-Shortening early voting from 17 to 10 days; This may not seem big but keep in mind NC is fast growing state so this will mean longer lines.

What does all this have to do with voter fraud? We should be encouraging more people to vote and making it easier. If the GOP message is selling, maybe they she re-think their message. Why stoop to cheap tactics to win elections.
I really do not see any of those crisis or make voting difficult.
There shouldnt be any pre registration period for those under 18, it a ritual of turning 18.
Paid voter registration drives sound sketchy.
I always assume students filled out absentee ballots since they likely voting away from home.
Before 1992 November 6th has always been election day. If you cant find the time to vote in days then fill out an absentee.
If lines are an issue then discuss with BOE of buying more ballot booths.
I prefer to vote on election day so that evening I could see results that evening.
The lines I always had was with early voting site due to that all the precincts vote in one location so Im curious if no provisional ballots does this stop that?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I really do not see any of those crisis or make voting difficult.
There shouldnt be any pre registration period for those under 18, it a ritual of turning 18.
Paid voter registration drives sound sketchy.
I always assume students filled out absentee ballots since they likely voting away from home.
Before 1992 November 6th has always been election day. If you cant find the time to vote in days then fill out an absentee.
If lines are an issue then discuss with BOE of buying more ballot booths.
I prefer to vote on election day so that evening I could see results that evening.
The lines I always had was with early voting site due to that all the precincts vote in one location so Im curious if no provisional ballots does this stop that?
Why not, you can enlist in the military at 17. Again why fix the wheel if it isn't broken? What is wrong with encouraging young people to register to vote, especially in a time when young people are skeptical of government and the voting process, and voter turn out is often low for young people? Shouldn't we be encouraging everyone to exercise their right to vote?

I would agree with you on the paid voter registration, if they hadn't increase the cap on campaign contribution for candidates.

When I was at UNCC, I actually registered there and voted on campus. I have never done an absentee ballot. BOE shouldn't have to waste money on buying more machines for each precinct. Early voting allows citizens in a municipality to vote in a central place if they can't vote on election day. And again, what is the purpose of all this? Why now, especially when there isn't much evidence of voter fraud? Could it be because NC demographics are changing and becoming less red and more purple & blue, especially for the presidential elections? The fact that these measures target a certain demographic is a coincidence?...I think not... That's why a lot of people are suspicious of the GOP. Also the fact that they are rushing a lot of this stuff through.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM

606 posts, read 903,050 times
I love that we are six pages in an yet no one from the "all for id" crowd has yet to answer my questions about all the other things in the bill. What about the extra gifts they gave themselves with contributions, etc? I wonder if people bother to read these bills (we know the governor doesn't know what's in them) if you aren't, you are putting WAY too much trust in politicians. No bill is ever just about the headline on a news story.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Why not, you can enlist in the military at 17. Again why fix the wheel if it isn't broken? What is wrong with encouraging young people to register to vote, especially in a time when young people are skeptical of government and the voting process, and voter turn out is often low for young people? Shouldn't we be encouraging everyone to exercise their right to vote?

I would agree with you on the paid voter registration, if they hadn't increase the cap on campaign contribution for candidates.

When I was at UNCC, I actually registered there and voted on campus. I have never done an absentee ballot. BOE shouldn't have to waste money on buying more machines for each precinct. Early voting allows citizens in a municipality to vote in a central place if they can't vote on election day. And again, what is the purpose of all this? Why now, especially when there isn't much evidence of voter fraud? Could it be because NC demographics are changing and becoming less red and more purple & blue, especially for the presidential elections? The fact that these measures target a certain demographic is a coincidence?...I think not... That's why a lot of people are suspicious of the GOP. Also the fact that they are rushing a lot of this stuff through.
It is broken if allowing kids register to vote why not lower it to age 10. !8 is voting age, there is no reason to bombard the BOE with unnecessary paper work.
You argue its to supress the poor and elderly how is it doing that? Are you saying all democrats are poor or elderly? Most of elders I know and I could drive you into any trailer park in this state and the odds probably they are republican.

Having a student with a state issue ID, it establishes them as in state resident and a resident where they are voting. With the old 17 days it would be easy for a student to register with their license at their parents home then register and vote again with their student ID where they go to college.

10 days that is two weeks of early voting is plenty of time to make arrangements. I would be fine without early voting. This country survived before it started. There is nothing stopping someone voting before work I think 10 days is generous and again if a person knowing they cant vote they can feel out an absentee.

Eliminating straight ticket would effect republicans as much as democrats and it will also help libertarians.
Voting for the party and not the candidate is not what the election process is about.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
You know what's funny, it's okay for them to steal elections like they did in 2000, but when a black President legitimately wins the election twice, then it's time for voter ID, because there's just too much voter fraud going on, how ironic!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is broken if allowing kids register to vote why not lower it to age 10. !8 is voting age, there is no reason to bombard the BOE with unnecessary paper work.
You argue its to supress the poor and elderly how is it doing that? Are you saying all democrats are poor or elderly? Most of elders I know and I could drive you into any trailer park in this state and the odds probably they are republican.

Having a student with a state issue ID, it establishes them as in state resident and a resident where they are voting. With the old 17 days it would be easy for a student to register with their license at their parents home then register and vote again with their student ID where they go to college.

10 days that is two weeks of early voting is plenty of time to make arrangements. I would be fine without early voting. This country survived before it started. There is nothing stopping someone voting before work I think 10 days is generous and again if a person knowing they cant vote they can feel out an absentee.

Eliminating straight ticket would effect republicans as much as democrats and it will also help libertarians.
Voting for the party and not the candidate is not what the election process is about.
There are studies out there that show people who don't have IDs are usually elderly. If they require people to get new IDs now, then the state should foot the bill.

Age 10, that's stretching it don't you think? Like I said, we allow kids to enlist at 17, so I see nothing wrong with allowing them to register to vote at 17. Again, we've had this in place along with other things like straight ticket voting for awhile, so why is it such an issue now? Why isn't it getting bipartisan support?

You maybe able to get off then, but others may not have that flexibility. I know NC still has early voting when a lot of states don't, but again why even touch this issue? Some people may feel more comfortable going to a machine versus mailing in a ballot. I'm just trying to figure out why the GOP is going after this now. I just don't think it has anything to do with voter fraud but more devious motives....

Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,745 times
For those of you that think the poor and elderly are too stupid, infirm or have some sort of mental or physical handicap that prevents them from getting an ID I have a solution:

Instead of sending a donation to ProgressNC, find one of these poor or elderly persons in your neighborhood and take them to the DMV yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina