Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,411 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from Chicago to Charlotte or Raleigh. We need your help in deciding which city will be best for our son. Which city are the best, school, and neighbor friendly with kids. I am a kindergarten teacher so how are the schools job there as well? We are moving in July 2013. Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,312,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNixon3 View Post
My family and I will be relocating from Chicago to Charlotte or Raleigh. We need your help in deciding which city will be best for our son. Which city are the best, school, and neighbor friendly with kids. I am a kindergarten teacher so how are the schools job there as well? We are moving in July 2013. Thanks in advance for your help
Both cities offer about the same far as what is offered for your son. Each has there perks and minus.
I strongly advise you go to Google click the news tab and search North Carolina teachers then decide if you want to relocate here.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,230,346 times
As a teacher in NC you will make a fraction of what you make in Chicago. There are no teachers unions either. Working conditions are not great for teachers in this state and are unlikely to improve anytime soon.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Quote:
Umm, July 2013 has already come and gone. Do you mean July 2014? And how is it that you're set to move and have no idea where you'll be moving to?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,931,727 times
Quote:
You don't want to teach in NC....Pay freezes, no masters pay, teaching assistants cut in half, end of teacher tenure.....its not looking so good....unless you want to teach kindergarten in SC (Ft. Mill, Rock Hill) while living in the Charlotte Metro

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM

I apologized for the error for the year. Not July 2013, the correct year is July 2014. thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,963,524 times
A lot of people get tired of the Charlotte-vs-Raleigh threads and tune out when advice is requested. Best to study the previous threads and then ask very specific questions.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,810,762 times
Charlotte. :-)

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Umm, July 2013 has already come and gone. Do you mean July 2014? And how is it that you're set to move and have no idea where you'll be moving to?

Yes, 2014, We do know where to move, it just down to those two location.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 AM

13,345 posts, read 26,844,730 times
Quote:
Yes, 2014, We do know where to move, it just down to those two location.
I would make the decision on what is best for the wage-earner in the family. With a good job, you can always locate a suitable, family-friendly neighborhood for your child. It would also help if you told us the age of the child and whether he has any special interests or needs.

FWIW, a relative lives in the Indian Trail neighborhood of Charlotte, which is good for a moderate budget. I would chose to live in Charlotte if I were a NASCAR, professional basketball or football fan. Charlotte also has better access to lakes and the mountains, and better airport access if you fly back to Chicago.

Another relative loved Cary, which they considered a great area for families. I would choose the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area if my interests were in academic or historic fields. There are great colleges and museums.

Thus there are nice areas in both metropolises. Please do some reading in the comparison threads to see which feels better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina