Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will high-tech companies and techies leave (or not locate to) North Carolina because of the turn th
Yes 37 45.12%
No 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times

Advertisements

You're welcome. Perhaps some other readers of the thread might be interested in our history, too.

Clearly, you don't like comments on your thread that disagree with its dopey premise. I have explained to you the making of RTP, and along the way why Raleigh-Durham is doing well (of course, Raleigh is the state capitol, which helps too).

I have no patience or interest in red-vs-blue political squabbles, and I believe that anyone who frames his life this way is foolish. More often than not, although not always, I vote "Blue," and voted for Obama twice (once per election ) and against McCrory. Your premise is simply wrong -- it has nothing to do with my politics.

I have no insight at all into anything going on in Atlanta or Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You're welcome. Perhaps some other readers of the thread might be interested in our history, too.

Clearly, you don't like comments on your thread that disagree with its dopey premise. I have explained to you the making of RTP, and along the way why Raleigh-Durham is doing well (of course, Raleigh is the state capitol, which helps too).

I have no patience or interest in red-vs-blue political squabbles, and I believe that anyone who frames his life this way is foolish. More often than not, although not always, I vote "Blue," and voted for Obama twice (once per election ) and against McCrory. Your premise is simply wrong -- it has nothing to do with my politics.

I have no insight at all into anything going on in Atlanta or Richmond.
Politically, I lean moderate, I don't like extremes on both the left and the right, right now, the direction this state legislature is going is not the right way to go! Throughout their six month session, they spent too much time coming up with with more restrictions on abortion clinics and imposing voter ID laws which will place more hurdles on certain groups to vote, while at the same time never addressed JOBS, JOBS, JOBS and our high unemployment, well they did somewhat when they cut off UE benefits to those who were unemployed for a long time and couldn't find work, what about those areas in this state where unemployment IS over 20% and no jobs for these people to go to? These people running the state legislature is too far to the right and need to be replaced by mods on both the left and the right! If people don't see anything wrong with that picture, then you are just showing blind loyalty to the Fox News and Rush Limbaugh element controlling the Republican party!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Hamish: "Sometimes it helps to know history..."

Thanks for the history lesson.
The cities that are doing really well in the south like Raleigh/Durham/CH, Richmond, Atlanta, Austin are all pools of blue in oceans of red. I'd be very interested in hearing your explanation of this.
It's pretty much the same dynamic. Those cities have the talent and human infrastructure that companies find attractive which is the biggest advantage, and it's just a plus that they are all in low-cost, right-to-work states.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Companies and worker bees follow the money and quality of lifestyle. Politics can have an impact, but ultimately everyone is just trying to survive and provide the best possible opportunities to our kids. If schools disintegrate, tech firms will be unlikely to attract the best talent to a region. NC is not yet there, since schools are OK and the universities produce tech graduates. But what will happen if schools at all levels continue to be underfunded? The smartest thing companies could do right now in the Triangle is invest heavily in all areas of education & demand that the politicians do the same. Educational opportunities make for good business!

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-18-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 03:32 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Companies and worker bees follow the money and quality of lifestyle. Politics can have an impact, but ultimately everyone is just trying to survive and provide the best possible opportunities to our kids. If schools disintegrate, tech firms will be unlikely to attract the best talent to a region. NC is not yet there, since schools are OK and the universities produce tech graduates. But what will happen if schools at all levels continue to be underfunded? The smartest thing companies could do right now in the Triangle is invest heavily in all areas of education & demand that the politicians do the same. Educational opportunities make for good business!
Really good post !!!
(Although I wouldn't expect any less from someone from one of my old stopping grounds)

It will be sometime before there's any meaningful data showing the effects of the legislative changes one way or the other, so everyone would be wise to hold off on any victory laps. Where wsg is spot on is the ability for companies to attract the best talent, and in my opinion that's where the effects will first manifest themselves.

There's nothing I would love more dearly than to get my hands on some very recent data from recruiters and headhunters. That's the story right now, everything else is coulda/woulda/shoulda.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 AM

352 posts, read 550,908 times
re: schools, education

I think the cities (like Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Charlotte) will put more money into the schools to compensate and to make sure they retain and attract professionals with kids, but that will leave kids in the NC countryside in a worse spot.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
re: schools, education

I think the cities (like Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Charlotte) will put more money into the schools to compensate and to make sure they retain and attract professionals with kids, but that will leave kids in the NC countryside in a worse spot.
You'd think, wouldn't you, but you can look this info up. Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools do have a pretty nice funding from local sources (over $5000 per student), but Wake County is about $2000 per student which is almost right at the state average for local funding ($1900). Check it out at NC Report Card, the state's official site by clicking on the district as a whole (not individual schools) and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
They would leave if they thought they could milk incentives out of another state. Or if any actions hurt business which excluding the film industry (who are already preparing to leave), they would leave. As of now, the GA hasn't really focused on business and only political/ideological politics. So I can't foresee any company relocating.

In the end: Money talks and BS walks.

Now it might get corporations to not relocate here.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default not in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
In the end the company will do what is most profitable. They will not invest in schools or community these days, they will move to a different area or use the issue to justify outsourcing to another country. The news would have everyone try to believe that we are all under educated, lazy and not willing to do some jobs. Sorry to them but I have not seen this in mass and there are far too many highly educated people having to work on local stores that have technical degrees.
The truth is that cost of labor is a huge expense and driving force of where/how companies do business. The bigger the company, the bigger this issue becomes.

Then welcome to outsourcing or even illegal labor, the reason is cost.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM

352 posts, read 550,908 times
Default Happy Friday

Enjoy some of the responses from this 3 year old post. One of the highlights from Hamish Forbes:

"As far as educated southerners leaving Raleigh -- well, my young friend, I am a native-born southerner who has a PhD in engineering (be that education, or be it training), and I have lived here, and worked here in high-tech, including high-tech management, longer than you have been alive. What I am telling you, based on this experience, is that the premise of your thread is just silly. Nothing of any consequence is going to happen as a result of the recent changes in our legislature."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina