Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will high-tech companies and techies leave (or not locate to) North Carolina because of the turn th
Yes 37 45.12%
No 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM

352 posts, read 548,481 times

Advertisements

Also, will high-tech companies think twice about relocating to North Carolina? I'm a techie whose worked all over the country including high-tech firms on the west coast. The highly educated people who work at these companies tend to be liberal, independent or possibly liberatarian. Many high tech companies tend to be very progressive, eg extending benefits to gay couples with children. Many of these companies and employees felt comfortable here, because NC was supposed to be a modern, forward thinking, moderate, friendly place where it was inexpensive to raise a family. Now with all of the stuff going on in North Carolina (e.g. attempt to establish a state religion, and on and on), will these companies pull up stakes? I'm thinking of places like Cisco, SAS, Red Hat, IBM, companies doing medical research. I know these companies like how cheap it is to operate in NC, but will this be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-02-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
No, they won't leave, but some others might not come and the ones that are here could potentially choose to expand in other locations instead.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, they won't leave, but some others might not come and the ones that are here could potentially choose to expand in other locations instead.
Agreed. They have long leases to contend with and/or own a lot of property (SAS).

Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 AM

I'm a techie, just had a baby and was potentially looking at RTP for a place to settle my family. I'm originally from the region, Va Beach. I was happy to find what I thought was a dash of Silicon Valley here near family and old friends. I'm now having to take a hard look at figuring out whether the future of North Carolina is a slice of Silicon Valley in the southeast or a new Mississippi.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-02-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,782,464 times
Honestly, hard to tell. You are right. Most of those companies thought NC was a forward thinking, highly progressive state to begin with. With all the "mess" that is going on right now, Companies will definitely take a second look about moving here. I mean what successful company would want to move a state that wants to incorporate a lot of backward thinking rhetoric into everyday life. Mark my words all this Moral Monday crap that is going on right now in Raleigh will have a trickle-down effect regarding companies thinking about relocating here.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Short term, perhaps, but due to the robust high-tech, biotech infrastructure that exists, I don't foresee a long term impact. I mean look at Austin; Texas politics doesn't seem to have affected that city's forward march much.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

I see the similarities. As they've been described Austin is an educated, liberal pool of blue surrounded by an ocean of red just as Raleigh,Durham,ChapelHill is.. but is Austin more buffered against it's surrounding ocean of red?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I see the similarities.
As they've been described Austin...
"the only problem with Austin is that it's surrounded by Texas"

Quote:
but is Austin more buffered against it's surrounding ocean of red?
More than the Triangle as a whole? It might be.

But the real problem is that these questions can't be answered in the present tense.
It'll take 10 or 20 years to learn the true and deeper effects of the red tide.
Which is as true and real a problem in TX as it is in NC.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,228,998 times
I don't think that Republican control will be a long term trend in this state. Even Texas is likely to turn blue within 10 years do to demographics unless the Republican Party turn the tide with the Hispanic community.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I don't think that Republican control will be a long term trend in this state.
Even Texas is likely to turn blue within 10 years do to demographics unless the
Republican Party turn the tide with the Hispanic community.
Don't assume that they don't know this.
The concern is how much damage they'll do before they get run out of town on that rail.

At present it appears that they have no sense of scale or decorum.
It's almost like the party became a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina