U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM

903 posts, read 2,547,012 times
Default Why is everybody flocking to NC

Please don't take this in a negative way because I have never been to NC, but it feels like everybody is moving to NC. I know good weather and cheap housing are a couple factors, but you can get that other places as well. I really would like to learn why is everyone moving to NC? Are most people moving to certain cities or all over the state? Please don't discuss any negative factors because that is obviously not the reasons people are moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 17,955,803 times
Somewhat dated, but this will give you a sense of where the state's growth is. Quite a few areas have little or no growth, while others are actually losing population.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

903 posts, read 2,547,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Somewhat dated, but this will give you a sense of where the state's growth is. Quite a few areas have little or no growth, while others are actually losing population.
I guess may be I may be wrong. It sure feels like everyone is moving there.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-11-2007 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 17,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I guess may be I may be wrong. It sure feels like everyone is moving there.
Yes and no. It just depends on where you're standing. Out of the nation's 100 fastest growing counties, only Brunswick #22 and Union #26 are on the list for the state of NC.

Bureau of the Census - Top 100 Fastest Growing Counties (http://www.census.gov/popest/housing/HU-EST2006-top100.html - broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 11-11-2007 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM

505 posts, read 1,619,400 times
Quote:
Please don't take this in a negative way because I have never been to NC, but it feels like everybody is moving to NC. I know good weather and cheap housing are a couple factors, but you can get that other places as well. I really would like to learn why is everyone moving to NC? Are most people moving to certain cities or all over the state? Please don't discuss any negative factors because that is obviously not the reasons people are moving there.

Ogplife,

It's simple, there are tons of high paying jobs in NC because of higher education (colleges). We are one of the fastest growing states for that reason. Throw in the cheap housing......and you fill in the blanks!

Other than that, NC is an average state really. Sure it's beautiful here, but the same can be said for all the states.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,223,244 times
Quote:
For me, personally, I am still researching the state of N. Carolina. I have only been through it while travelling to another state, but I was very impressed with the weather, the people, and the growth that is happening there. I am living in Rustbelt U.S.A. (aka NE OH), and the stagnancy here is depressing beyond imagination; that's just my own personal opinion (I don't want to start any debate on the merits of Ohio as I've been here 35+ years and feel that OH has it's good points and those not so good). In addition, for myself personally, I am looking for better weather. I am going on 45; I need weather that is not so brutal and harsh and weather that will permit me to be able to walk year-round as much as possible as I have to start taking care of myself. Also, having children (ages 23 to age 6), I need an atmosphere that is good for families as well as an economy that is doing better. I am also looking for good universities. I am also looking for a favorable business climate as I am an entepreneur (formerly an accountant).

I hope that you get some good responses; I really enjoy visiting these forums; many wonderful people who are willing to share their thoughts and opinions. Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM

34 posts, read 93,306 times
I moved there because there are more jobs available in my field than there are where I came from (Ohio).

Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 AM

19,076 posts, read 13,614,274 times
I moved here for the weather, beauty and inexpensive housing----now those are not on the top of my list for staying here. I am staying because of the remarkably friendly people!! All those other things are wonderful but the people here are the best part!!! I moved here from CA.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,516,037 times
I will agree with the past posts that say that only certain areas of NC are growing. But these areas that are growing are exploding in population and have been doing so for the past few years. The growth is not well balanced for the state. There are plenty of rural areas in NC that are nothing but farmland and other areas that are still very poor.

Areas of Charlotte and the surrounding counties particulary Lake Norman are very affluent, some more than others. If you look at my county of Lincoln where Denver is located, Denver (which isnt even an incorporated area) is growing very rapidly, while just west of Denver there is almost no growth. There are many million dollar homes here now in Denver. I can remember riding the bus in the mid to late 90's and most homes here were average older homes and trailer parks. There was one Food Lion grocery store and that was it.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,198,197 times
Quote:
The major reason for the giant population influx has to do with a variety of factors. For starters, the houses are fairly in-expensive compared to other parts of the country. People from the Northeast, Great Lakes, and California areas have no trouble purchasing a home in NC due to availability and the value of their previous home. However, the value is expected to balance out soon, and homes in the South will become just as expensive (if not more) in the coming years.

I think what draws most transplants to NC more than other Southern states is the watered-down Southern culture. Transplants don't really have to worry about fitting in, since everyone is from some other place and most native Southerners have already been driven off.

NC is also ideal weather-wise for transplants, and the state attracts tons of new industries from Europe and Asia. Economic boom dominates the region as well, allowing for plentiful jobs and a high standard of living.

Another reason, that some may or may not notice; is the way NC has changed from a 'red state' to a 'blue state' in the last 15 years, no doubt due to transplants. (Apparently "blue state" = Val Halla to Californians and Northeasterners.)

Anyway, Availability, Affordability, and Liveablility all exist in pefect harmony in North Carolina, and therefore, it catches the most newcomers in the mass exodus from the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina