Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,356,883 times

Advertisements

OP: Is there maybe a chance your friend can move in with you, and that could lighten the financial burden and home size requirements that her dad needs? This way, you and your friend could have what YOU want, and her dad (and mom?) might be able to find something that would better fit their budget. As your friend is no longer school-age, I thought this might be a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM

3,066 posts, read 4,804,962 times
Summerville is not a bad choice....I would recommend it over Cary/Raleigh...that's a no-brainer, IMO. Closer to the Coast, easy access to Charleston...

Its kind of hard to find sewer in rural areas....I'm betting Summerville isn't rural, its more small city.

If they are looking at affordable options in NC, refer them to Myrtle Grove area of New Hanover County. Good Ocean breezes can help with that humidity.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Well, it is just about impossible for a third-part to help them resolve their differences. Nobody on this board is going to have the magic solution that will make them all happy.

Since they are from Long Island, anything suburban looks like "rural"' to them. Believe me, they really don't want "rural" if they want sewers, Whole Foods and shopping centers. I'd stick within 20 miles of a city like Winston-Salem or Greensboro. I also sent you a DM with some houses in Burlington, including some one-level end-unit townhouses which I like because they are walking distance to a grocery store.
Also, if the parents want SC because of retirement laws, they might consider the Charlotte suburbs/exurbs that are in SC but close enough to amenities in SC such as Whole Foods, etc. A lot of that is getting congested, but there are bound to be some rural areas that aren't far from NC cities....though I don't know why your friend is so dead-set on one Carolina over the other when it sounds as if she has never been to either?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 PM

351 posts, read 690,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed. Their budget is too low for much of the Triangle. Has the father been pre-approved for a mortgage? That might be the most realistic step.

To be honest, Summerville, SC is not a bad choice. They can get good medical care there or in Charleston.

BTW, I suggested Burlington, but its crime rate is too high. I'd change that recommendation to Mebane, Clemmons or Gibsonville. Some houses in Apex are in their range, but they are mostly two stories.

Actually, I never said they wanted a ranch.

I appreciate all the help you all have given me. I'm not sure how else I can help her. I'll give the suggestions I've heard from here, but I'm not sure what good it will do if her parents have already made up their minds. Thank you all for the thoughts!

It shocked me when they can here and saw places in Holly Springs and Fuquay (all houses within his range was plenty big for him and his family) and said it wasn't rural enough because they've lived in LI for so long and then said Sommerville was great for them. Even though he said he wanted rural, it sounded like he just wanted somewhere else, but here. My friend told me her father admitted he knows nothing about real estate, moving, and anything having to do with what to look for in finding the right home for himself. Every choice he's made so far has come back to bite him in the rear. He doesn't know what he wants, but he seems to have made up his mind for himself and that is how it is. So like I said, thank you for all your suggestions. I'm just the messenger in all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina