U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,445 times

Advertisements

Hello I am looking for suggestions on a move as I have kids and want an already "kids objected to" move to end up positive. I am an RN. I am relocating to NC (open to SC) from SoCal (San Diego)with 2 tween girls and looking for some insight. I am looking at Wilmington NC, Pinehurst area, Asheville. Looking for a slower pace family environment, safe, good schools with extracurricular activities in the school..art, music, drama, ect. recreational girls softball and cheer, I can later buy something with decent size lot or land, I can make permanent home and afford a home without the cost of the home consuming all finacial stability. I love the ocean and the mountains..we all enjoy outdoor activities. Girls are SoCal born and raised I have southern upbringing in home but raised in mid west. I've been here 20 yrs. However I am looking for some financial freedom from my present mortgage and peace of mind with my girls, get away from the "anything goes" environment, where kids are still alittle more innocent of heart. I do not desire the freezing cold for months on end but can live with some temp changes as I realize no place like SoCal for the weather . I don't want to be wiped out by hurricanes regularly...(although upon cking into Wilmington, NC a Nurse recruiter there told me the hipe is extremely exaggerated)..that being said..I am looking at asheville, wilmington, near pinehurst (friends there). I love being able to see the mountain backdrop, have creeks, falls..something to see and hike BUT I love the ocean! Soooo any suggestions on which way to go? communities here near ocean (unless your rich) are a sketchy place to raise children so obviously I'm inland but 20 min drive. I do realize Carolinas are different. I am a single mom and want slower environment for my girls to grow up and also a place I will be happy to stay when college comes for them. So suggestions twards beach or mountains? Thank you for your information.

Last edited by relocating.pls.help; 08-21-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM

11,292 posts, read 19,853,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating.pls.help View Post
I am looking at Wilmington NC, Pinehurst area, Asheville.
I think you should look at the numerous threads regarding the difficulty of finding jobs in Wilmington and Asheville. These are the "glamour" spots where everybody seems to want to live. I think you should open up your job search to other towns where you have a realistic chance of finding a job, and there is still a good quality of life. For example, consider Waynesville, Salisbury, Winston-Salem, Greensboro or the Charlotte suburbs. If you need to be near the beach, try Jacksonville, Morehead City or New Bern, which all have hospitals and nursing jobs.

I like the Pinehurst area, and Moore County has a great hospital system, but I think your teenagers would be bored to tears there. I'd have them visit Pinehurst before you think of moving there.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-22-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think you should look at the numerous threads regarding the difficulty of finding jobs in Wilmington and Asheville. These are the "glamour" spots where everybody seems to want to live. I think you should open up your job search to other towns where you have a realistic chance of finding a job, and there is still a good quality of life. For example, consider Waynesville, Salisbury, Winston-Salem, Greensboro or the Charlotte suburbs. If you need to be near the beach, try Jacksonville, Morehead City or New Bern, which all have hospitals and nursing jobs.

I like the Pinehurst area, and Moore County has a great hospital system, but I think your teenagers would be bored to tears there. I'd have them visit Pinehurst before you think of moving there.
I agree, Greensboro and Winston Salem would make great choices. If you want to be near the coast, check out the Charleston SC area.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM

676 posts, read 2,806,067 times
Think LONG And HARD before you do such a drastic move!!! We moved from southern California when our first was a baby about 8 years ago and it has taken us years to adjust to the change. I still hate the weather most days and unless you have lived in places like San Diego, people don't understand what living near the beach and the mountains really mean. Here it is quite the drive for the beach or the mountains. You cannot be close to one or the other, but locals feel it isn't a bad drive at all. I agree in the sense we are lucky to have wonderful beaches and mountains in NC, but the mountains aren't close to the beaches like they are when you live in coastal CA. The culture is completely different and it will probably be shocking for teenagers. My children are school aged and when we go back to CA for visits they already seem quite different than the CA kids we are around. I will agree with you though, my kids seem far more innocent and dress like children instead of mini teenagers like you see in CA. Asheville and Wilmington are the two cities where everyone wants to move and they don't have strong job markets. It may be tough finding employment. The housing is higher in those two cities too, but it is still far lower than San Diego prices. I am not sure about your field, but my husband and I both took a huge hit to our salaries moving to NC. The housing may be lower, but so are the salaries! In my opinion, I wouldn't move if you already have a job and a house in San Diego. By the time you and your kids adjust, they will probably be off to college!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 PM

676 posts, read 2,806,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, Greensboro and Winston Salem would make great choices. If you want to be near the coast, check out the Charleston SC area.
And if you are seriously considering it, I agree with the Winston-Salem/Greensboro suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina