U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 46,578 times

Advertisements

I would like some of you North Carolinians to please tell me the reason(s) so many people are moving to your state. Has the unprecedented population growth affected the quality of life? Is it becoming another Florida?

Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 AM

72 posts, read 197,484 times
Lightbulb It's everywhere

I don't think is just North Carolina. Have you looked at Georgia? TONS of people are moving there as well. I think that will the changing economy, people are doing what they have todo to make their lives better.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 13,960,049 times
Yes it's true..... NC and Georgia are the only places in the country right now where a family can make it!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 AM

5,661 posts, read 23,328,733 times
North Carolina's population growth is not uniform. Some NC counties are booming while others are losing population. NC has 100 counties.

Fastest Growing States

AZ
NV
ID
FL
UT
GA
NC
TX

Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 AM

20,987 posts, read 28,129,972 times
I think western N.C. is the most beautiful place in the world, I don't even live there (yet).

Old 10-15-2006, 11:14 AM

45,264 posts, read 81,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I would like some of you North Carolinians to please tell me the reason(s) so many people are moving to your state. Has the unprecedented population growth affected the quality of life? Is it becoming another Florida?
One big reason? A healthy economy because its people are not being choked by labor unions like other states in this country. My sister is a nurse in NY state and I cannot believe the levels of bull she has to go thru with all the different unions and organizations she is required to join (and pay a hefty fee that they call "dues") for the privilage of working in her chosen profession.

Milder winters, but still a change of seasons. Generally lower cost of living, especially still true away from the high growth areas. GREAT state universities for your children to attend if they graduate from a NC high school. Mountains and beach easily accessable for vacations. Pretty clean state politics.

I could go on and on

Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 AM

199 posts, read 458,678 times
I agree with most everything, but I think there is a lot of "grass is greener" syndrome. I saw that with vegas and especially florida. People were saying this and that are soooo much better than where we live and then well you know the rest. I agree NC has a lot of positives but there are also a ton of negatives. Overall I believe it still a good place to live depending what your willing to give up.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 AM

45,264 posts, read 81,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
I agree with most everything, but I think there is a lot of "grass is greener" syndrome. I saw that with vegas and especially florida. People were saying this and that are soooo much better than where we live and then well you know the rest. I agree NC has a lot of positives but there are also a ton of negatives. Overall I believe it still a good place to live depending what your willing to give up.

Just curious, what do you feel like you had to give up? I personally don't feel as though I lack for anything

Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 PM

199 posts, read 458,678 times
I guess in some ways I'm spoiled but growing up on long island I had the beaches 10 mins away and the entertainment capital of the world 30 min. train ride. My love is music and although there are some great acts that come through NC- nothing compares to NYC - but hey nothing does when discussing entertainment.

Schools don't compare to the NE. I know NC has some decent schools but there is so much emphasis/importance on education in the north. Thatís not to say there aren't good schools and bright people in NC; it's just different.

BUT to get both good entertainment and great schools you pay for in taxes BIG TIME.

I donít know anything about medical services and I'm sure with places like Duke and UNC there are some good services but I have lived in Fl. the last couple years and have family in Va. and Georgia and we all still see our doctors in NY. Some things I have seen and heard down here are eye opening.

I'm still doing a lot of research and have some "guinea pigs" in NC, maybe in a couple years I'll move but seeing what happened to Fl. and how the area deteriorated so quickly, I waiting to see what happens to NC.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:18 PM

463 posts, read 1,441,675 times
Default GMTA Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Yes it's true..... NC and Georgia are the only places in the country right now where a family can make it!
LOL! Fer sure. Which is why so many of them are doing quite nicely in or moving to states other than N.C. or GA.

Regards,

Cassie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina