Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times

Advertisements

Friend if she is your fiancee you should go ahead and marry her and solve the problem. They wont band you if you are married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 44,141 times
To update all of you that have been eating your popcorn and waiting, here is the conclusion to this.

North Carolina General Statutes § 42-63(b) states a landlord can have a guest or a tenant of a residence removed and banned from places like apartment complexes when criminal activity has occurred on or near the premises and can be proven, however such an order must be issued through the court.

Being that the law (the Landlord-Tenant Rights) was not followed here, a ban simply issued by a landlord would not constitute a visitor as a trespasser when invited by a tenant, and therefore is not legally enforceable. The ban policy is not clearly posted in managements office and is not incorporated into the lease, thereby making any punishment to the tenant unenforceable under the Landlord-Tenant Rights, and any such verbiage in a tenants lease violates federal law under the Fair Housing Act.

Secondly, oral or written statements given to a landlord that may be used in any court proceedings, such as determining whether a person can be banned by the court, or any other court proceedings such as a case against a visitor for Second Degree Trespassing, is not admissible, since it is considered as hearsay.

I put the law to the test, and I am sure you guys know who won. The rest is history!

I thought I would share the conclusion of this with all of you. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone else in a similar situation where no criminal acts were involved whose civil rights are being violated, or attempting to be violated, by a landlord who thinks that they run the show.

Stand up for your rights! If you don't, someone will surely be eager to take them away from you.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know "the rest of the story." I guess you'll need to change your user name.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Good job!! I'm sure that is a good feeling knowing that you won. Thanks for letting us know!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Care to share the name of the judge who made that ruling? I'm interested in knowing.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 AM

7 posts, read 44,141 times
The judge did not make a ruling.

The prosecutor trying the second degree trespassing case took a voluntary dismissal after questioning his witness (the apartment manager).

The bad part about it, despite having the case dismissed, the apartment manager told my fiancée that I am still banned and if I am seen on the premises she will take another warrant out against me. This is despite the fact my attorney humiliated her on the stand.

I don't understand how all of this can be legal, and how after having one case dismissed, how a magistrate would allow her to take out additional charges for the same thing.

I think the apartment manager thinks I am just "another one of them thur dumb mountain hillbillies" and tries to get her way by pushing intimidation and fear on the tenants and their guests by threatening to have the guests arrested. At this point, I am strongly considering taking civil action against the apartment manager and the housing authority, with the guidance of the American Civil Liberties Union, because of her blatant violation of our basic civil rights. Google "Sharps v. Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis."

I am about to graduate from college in about 5 weeks, and to be honest I just don't have the time to deal with it any more at this point. I am in the process of trying to find a home to rent, and once I do, my fiancée will be terminating her lease at her apartment and moving in with me. We have both had more than our fair share of crap because of the apartment manager and her grey area tactics of banning people from being allowed to visit, despite the apartment manager not following state law in legally getting a stay away notice issued (she wouldn't be able to-as a stay away notice can only be issued through the court when the apartment manager or property owner can prove criminal activity occurred, and written statements is hearsay and not admissible in court).

Taking the housing authority to court like what was done to the housing authority in Annapolis will not directly benefit me at this point. But if the judge orders the apartment manager to change the way she handles bans in the future, then it will save someone else in the future the aggravation and trouble that my fiancée and I have had to go through, and that is good enough for me.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
Have a question and I need help asap... broke up with individual after dating on and off you years. We had a vehicle together at the time of breaking up. He took papers to rent office out of anger saying lived with me. Which he did not he slept in his own house he was rent not far from my residence at that time. But claimed he was hurt and didnt want to lose me over time to someone else. Rent office of course took me to court he however neven showed to proclaim his story. Now about a year late we've been dating off the property where i live. He resently proposed and now my question is how can a bared individual be unbared if marriage is being a serious matter.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:39 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyme View Post
Have a question and I need help asap... broke up with individual after dating on and off you years. We had a vehicle together at the time of breaking up. He took papers to rent office out of anger saying lived with me. Which he did not he slept in his own house he was rent not far from my residence at that time. But claimed he was hurt and didnt want to lose me over time to someone else. Rent office of course took me to court he however neven showed to proclaim his story. Now about a year late we've been dating off the property where i live. He resently proposed and now my question is how can a bared individual be unbared if marriage is being a serious matter.
I have no idea what that means, or what your question is.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
The manager is trying to ban my friend from the apartment complex. He hasn't done anything wrong to be banned from the property. He use to live here but broke his lease. That's all he's done

Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl54 View Post
The manager is trying to ban my friend from the apartment complex. He hasn't done anything wrong to be banned from the property. He use to live here but broke his lease. That's all he's done
Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina