U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2006, 03:11 AM

8 posts, read 25,706 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I hope you can help....my husband and I are thinking about relocating to this area from Ohio. Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about these places? We're looking to get away from big city life and hoping to find a slower paced life somewhere else. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,385,558 times
It's an awesome place! It's consistantly ranked in many publications year after year as one of the best small towns in America in which to live. As you may or may not know, Mt. Airy's the hometown of Andy Griffith, and the model for the town of Mayberry. My family and I live about 1.5 hours south of Mt. Airy (in Concord , near Charlotte) and visit there often. It's one of the most adorable small towns in the nation. Many of the businesses on The Andy Griffith Show are actual busnesses in Mt. Airy that have been there years before the show ever aired (Walley's Service Station, Bluebird Dinner, Floyd's Barber Shop, ect). They play the Mayberry thing to the hilt (whithout being tacky), so there's a lot to see and do in the area. Visually, it's a stunning area, sitting in the foothills of the Appalatchian Mountain range. They have a wonderful 4-season climate. Lots of sun year round. In July, the highs are around 83-85 degrees. In Jan., highs are about 46-48 degrees with an average of 11" of snow per winter. Falls and springs are heavenly! Crime is very rare, and the cost of living is really low. Though Mt. Airy's outside of any metro area and has that good hometown feel, I-77 and I-74 are about 2 miles outside of town and you have access to Winston Salem (45 miles SE on I-74), and Charlotte (1.5 hours south on I-77), so you're not completely isolated.

The only negative I can come up with is, like nearly all small towns outside of metro areas, the economy is very limited. If you go there with a job in place, can work from home, or are retired, it's a great choice. If not, I'd rethink it. Good luck in your search and I hope Mt. Airy works out for you. If not, just post again, and we'll find you a place in NC. There are soooo many great areas!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:11 AM

8 posts, read 25,706 times
Hi FriendinNC,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like a nice area! We're going to take a trip down after the holidays and start looking around. Thanks again for being so helpful!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val8Fan View Post
Hi FriendinNC,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like a nice area! We're going to take a trip down after the holidays and start looking around. Thanks again for being so helpful!
I agree with Friend (again!). The Mt. Airy area is just beautiful and perfect for someone looking for a slower pace and small town atmosphere. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina