Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

The Taylorsville Times reported Alexander County Schools Associate Superintendent Dr. Jeff Peal said the teacher is back to work this week but showed “an inappropriate video…outside the bounds of the curriculum” that merited “disciplinary action.”

The video was shown to a class at West Alexander Middle School, but Peal declined to tell the Times the grade level or name the teacher. Peal also did not detail what the discipline for the teacher entailed.

The video the teacher shown.

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 AM

203 posts, read 412,960 times
Since there wasn't anything obscene or off-color in the entire video, why would it have been deemed "inappropriate" for the teacher to show the video to adolescents in a classroom situation?

Your comments about this incident piqued my curiosity. And so my wife and I, being consenting adults, watched this "inappropriate" video. And we didn't see what all the fuss was about. Our conclusion after watching the entire video was that the teacher had been simply trying to teach the students a lesson in cultural relativity.

Yes, the video did show several examples of "alternative" lifestyles (i.e., indicative of homosexual relationships). But since the relationships depicted in the video were between consenting adults (or consenting adolescents of more or less equivalent age) and did NOT involve any sort of force or coercion, or the rape of little children or farm animals, who among us is qualified to pass judgment on their behavior?

It looked to us like the teacher was probably just trying to teach a little *tolerance* to the kids, perhaps in hopes of preventing some of the "gay-bashing" (which has become a popular redneck sport in some circles these days).

And if that was the situation, the teacher should have been commended, not "disciplined".

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
There's nothing in the middle school curriculum that would make this relevant or appropriate. You could stretch it to say they were trying to teach against gay bashing or bullying, but without the principal's consent or parent consent would this be allowed.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
This kind of indoctrination is one reason why there is so much interest in private schools and home schooling, and decreasing support for public schools.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Since there wasn't anything obscene or off-color in the entire video, why would it have been deemed "inappropriate" for the teacher to show the video to adolescents in a classroom situation?

Your comments about this incident piqued my curiosity. And so my wife and I, being consenting adults, watched this "inappropriate" video. And we didn't see what all the fuss was about. Our conclusion after watching the entire video was that the teacher had been simply trying to teach the students a lesson in cultural relativity.

Yes, the video did show several examples of "alternative" lifestyles (i.e., indicative of homosexual relationships). But since the relationships depicted in the video were between consenting adults (or consenting adolescents of more or less equivalent age) and did NOT involve any sort of force or coercion, or the rape of little children or farm animals, who among us is qualified to pass judgment on their behavior?

It looked to us like the teacher was probably just trying to teach a little *tolerance* to the kids, perhaps in hopes of preventing some of the "gay-bashing" (which has become a popular redneck sport in some circles these days).

And if that was the situation, the teacher should have been commended, not "disciplined".
Let's be clear, the video showed an interracial-homosexual male couple getting married and growing old together. For some people, the interracial part was just as "bad".

I'm curious as to why this video was considered to be inappropriate. This era in history will be known as the Gay Rights Movement to future generations. Teachers (in support of this movement) being suspended is just another page in this movement's history book. Diversity education is just as vital to future generations as learning the ABCs. In school, I watched movies such as Glory and Roots and saw numerous Holocaust documentaries (very disturbing ones at that); no teacher was suspended as a result. School also teaches many things that are in direct conflict with the Bible (dinosaurs and Human evolution being two of those things).

Clearly, the folks who decided to suspend this teacher had their own personal agenda. Sadly, a powerful message was sent to gay students (and gay faculty) attending that school.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This era in history will be known as the Gay Rights Movement to future generations. . . . In school, I watched movies such as Glory and Roots and saw numerous Holocaust documentaries . . .
Not at all likely -- homosexual affairs are a completely trivial matter compared to the holocaust and the civil rights activities that you mention. Rather, the era will likely be known for the death of the last actual grown-up, as witnessed earlier in this thread by the comment "who among us is qualified to pass judgement . . .?"

Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Not at all likely -- homosexual affairs are a completely trivial matter
Agreed, which is why we should do away with amendment one and all other costly attempts at denying homosexuals their constitutionally-backed equality. How much could this teacher suspension cost us (tax payers) in legal fees if the teacher decides to get a lawyer? During my research of this story, it seems that the teacher was giving the kids a lesson in critical thinking and wanted them to write down their own thoughts. In other words, the kids were free to write their own opinions (good or bad) about the video. If this teacher did decide to go to court, the teacher has a shot at winning.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Interesting, I barely remember middle school so I cant fathom type of class offered something like that. I hate to be at point in life where I say kids are better off, and maturity does seem to start younger.
I might have to side with superintendent as long as he consistent if the wonderful message video is not approved as curriculum then teacher made the mistake.

On side topic, I never knew Taylorsville had reporters and its own newspaper site.
Its in beautiful part of the foothills and the water park is nothing more than a slide into a pond.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-12-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
We have such stringent and laborious rules on videos I would not show one if it showed actual footage of Jesus Ascending into Heaven. The Educrats, mostly losers to begin with, put as many restrictions on everything to justify their fat cat salaries for doing nothing but interfering. See Pink Floyd. Should have made it with teachers on the belt.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Interesting, I barely remember middle school ....
I tell my drama queens, "cool kids" and class clowns all the time, you are putting forth all this effort, and you wont even remember it. You don't want to "peak" in the 8th grade.

Unfortunately, some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina